AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite

on May 22, 2013
This flash is excellent for SO MANY REASONS! If you are just beginning in photography, you should check out this flash. If you are a pro and you need either a back-up, a slave, something to experiment with, and/or if you love to work in manual, you should check out this flash. Yes, it doesn't have any automatic functions, but for the price to feature ratio, you get more than enough to up your game with flash photography.

I have been shooting as a pro for about 2 years now. Before that, when photography was just a hobby, my first flash was the Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras. Even though it helped, it was not by much however, my knowledge of strobist photography was non-existent at the time. After a while, I graduated to the Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras. When I got the 580EX II, I realized that I missed out on sooooo much just shooting with the 270EX. In addition, I ended up getting a Canon 430EX II Flash and the Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites. After studying this book, my photography has not been the same since.

Even though I love my 580 & 430, I could not afford to buy 2 or 3 more of those flashes and even if a miracle happened, how much harder would it be for me to replace those flashes if one or more is lost or damaged. So I did my research and came upon the original YN560. For a cheap flash, it had the best reviews I came across, especially for a flash under $100. I was skeptical at first because I was so used to Canon equipment, however, I thought $70 couldn't hurt me tooo bad. When I finally got one I was COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I needed as a slave only flash! The build quality is similar to the 580, they take the same accessories, and it is just as powerful as the 580. I bought a second one that same day.

2 years after using the original YN560s, I saw that Yongnuo came out with the YN560III, which has a built-it receiver for the YN602/603 triggers! At one time, this flash wasn't in stock for almost 2 months because they were selling out SO FAST! As soon as they were available, I purchased as many as I could since demand was and still is crazy for this flash.

If you are a pro looking for a cheap flash, here are my reasons why I would recommend this flash to you:

1. YN560III has a built in radio trigger, which adds a crazy amount of convenience to your workflow!
2. YN560III has also 2 built in optical slaves modes, 580 has one but is limited to work with canon flashes only.
3. Cheaper to replace & add additional flashes.
4. Provides a sound when the flash has charged to fire again.
5. Similar build quality as the 580.
6. Accepts the same accessories as the 580.
7. Just as powerful as the 580.

If you are a beginner, and/or someone who is considering the cheap route when it comes to buying your first flash:

1. Built-In Radio Receiver.
2. The YN560III can be triggered by ANY on-camera flash, whether you have a professional camera or a simple point-and-shoot camera. Unless you have a Canon 7D or newer with a pop-up flash, triggering most of Canon's flashes have complex limitations.
3. Price to feature ratio.
4. Pretty much the same reasons why a pro would buy this flash!

If you are a beginner and are not aware of the 580EX II, it is a very good old school Canon flash. Take away the automatic functions and the weather sealing, you pretty much have the YN560III. If you are a pro, yet again, the YN560III is just a cheaper and manual-only version of the 580 (With a Built-In radio receiver!).

Also, as a comparison to Canon's new flagship model flash, the Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite Flash (Black), you can purchase 5 YN560IIIs plus a set of Yongnuo RF-603 C3 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Canon 1D/5D/7D/50D/40D/30D/20D/10D Series for the price of only ONE of Canon's own built-in radio flashes! Having an automatic flash with a built-in radio triggering system is AWESOME I must say however, you WILL PAY a large sum for Canon's system. Pretty much, five 560IIIs and one set of RF-603s is less than $500 total. 3 Canon 600EX-RTs and one ST-E3 transmitter is about $1,800 total! If you have the money and Canon equipment, go for the Canon system however, most people are like myself and cannot afford Canon's top notch system as of yet.

If you are a beginner, the reason why you want radio triggers is so your flashes can be triggered with fewer limitations. Triggering your flashes by radio waves is MUCH MORE RELIABLE than triggering them by a flash of light from a camera or another flash in general. The science and math behind how this works can get very technical and is much easier to understand if the system is seen in action. Check out YouTube for several examples of 'off-camera lighting.'

Also, for most photographers using off-camera flashes, you had to at one time, have a receiver for every flash you have; (You still do in some cases.) If you have 4 flashes, you would have to buy 4 receivers and also have a trigger on your camera. With the YN560III, you now only need one RF-603 Transceiver (a receiver & transmitter built into one device), which is awesome since you are saving money and also, you don't have to buy extra batteries for those receivers you would have needed before! NOTE: RF-602 and RF-603 triggers from Yongnuo are the only triggers compatible with the built-in receiver inside this flash. I hear that the RF-604 X2-C Wireless Flash Trigger for Canon EOS 1D series, 5D series, 7D, 6D 60D, 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D, 650D 600D 550D, 500D, 450D, 400D, 350D, 1000D Powershoe G10, G11, G12, G15 G1X SX50 may be compatible as well. NOTE: If you decide to purchase the Meyin 604, I hear that it only works on channel 16 with this flash, which might be a deal breaker to some ;-).

For a lot of situations, I only need to shoot with the YN560s. If I needed to have an automatic flash, my Canon flashes will do just fine. Also, I like the challenge and consistency of shooting in manual.

The YN560s work really well at weddings & events when you need multiple off-camera flashes to bounce light off of the ceiling to illuminate dark venues. Because they are relatively in expensive, being able to purchase multiple YN560s take the stress out of shooting in poorly lit conditions. Also, I've found that the more flashes I have, the more creative options I have like overpowering the sun, applying color gels, etc! Make sure you look up tutorials and books on strobist photography to learn this stuff! :-)

Truly, these flashes are one of THE BEST INVESTMENTS I'VE MADE TOWARDS PHOTOGRAPHY! I'm very grateful to God for being able to share some knowledge with you! I hope it helps. Take care and happy shooting!
4040 comments| 615 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 11, 2013
I have the ttl model and I love it, but this is my second 560iii. And I can't get this one to sync with my triggers either. unfortunately I will be sending this one back as well. I'm just going to order the exttl model and use the wireless triggers on that one
66 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 8, 2017
Add two more of these to your order along with a 3section flash bracket, a light stand, and a translucent umbrella. You won't regret it and will now have a poor man's monolight set up.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on February 17, 2014
Why anyone would spend $500 on a Canon or Nikon brand speedlight is beyond me. Quite frankly TTL metering rarely if ever yields the most desirable results. If you want to shoot strobes you MUST learn to shoot manually. ISO 100 and 1/125 sec to 1/250 depending on what you want and what your rig can handle. Set your aperture to what you want and then adjust speedlight output to suit. In the studio I use Interfit 458XD 600w/sec strobes but when I'm in the field I want to travel light and easy. The Yongnuo speedlights are exceptional. At $75 they are angels on Earth. For the price of ONE Canon 600EX you can buy SIX of these. Yes, SIX. Then spend $29.95 on each of these

plus a good umbrella to suit your shooting needs and you're in high cotton.

Oh if that's not enough these Yongnuo 560 MkIII's have a BUILT IN RF Receiver. That means you can spend another measly $30 and buy A PAIR the Yongnuo RF-602 Transceivers (make sure you get the right model for your camera)

and you now have a top flight super charged wireless RF speedlight system to shutter like a pro at a tiny fraction of the cost of the name brand DSLR systems.
on December 1, 2013
- Perfect for amateur photographers who are just trying out speedlights
- Very good price for what it can do. Just thankful for companies that give you access to products that you normally wouldn't buy because you're not sure if you're in it for the long haul. By making simple versions of speedlights that are even good enough for professionals, they've given me the chance to try out one genre of photography without breaking the bank. And if you decide that speedlights are not for you at least you didn't pay $550 for it.
- Power is comparable with more expensive counterparts
- Good build quality for $71

*LET'S BE REASONABLE AS REVIEWERS AND EXPECT ONLY FEATURES THAT SHOULD BE REASONABLY INCLUDED AT THE PRICE POINT WE PAID THE PRODUCT FOR. In essence, we can't expect a Ferrari performance from a car we paid for at a Honda Civic price.

- the CHINGLISH manual is tricky to understand but nowadays, common sense means that you search things on YouTube for how to videos and there you'll find a video on how to pair this flash with your Yongnuo rf-602s or rf-603s.
- a little tricky to pair with Yongnuo triggers without help from the helpful people who post videos on YouTube.
- Interpreters are cheap now...PLEASE...Yongnuo...hire a Chinese-American who is fluent in both English & Chinese to translate the manual for you. No matter how complicated a product will be...a good manual can always simplify it for people with common sense.
on September 24, 2014
I was looking for something to use to replace some Sigma Flashes that were not behaving the way they were supposed to. These flashes are great. I have since bought three and plan to buy at least two more. I thought I would be hindered by them not having ETTL features but found just the opposite. The ability to quickly change the manual settings has been a huge help. I just dial in the manual settings on my camera and adjust the Flash settings as I see fit and then they stay that way! Consistency is great. These things are durable too! I was taking out the batteries while walking out to my car and ended up half throwing the flash across the pavement and it is still functional. (Not sure if I was lucky or if it is the build quality but I don't feel like I need to be super careful)

If you get these make sure to use good quality rechargeable batteries in them. I switched from normal bargan AA batteries to Eneloop XX (Now eneloop pro) batteries and the recycle time has improved greatly!

-Great Light Output.
-Affordable (You wont worry about breaking them)
-Built in triggers
-Good build quality
-Affordable accessories

-The only one I can find is that the flash head is a bit large so some accessories may not fit. I have some Gary Fong light Spheres and I have to stretch them a bit to get them on but they still fit.
on July 17, 2014
I'm a long time fan of Yongnuo. I have a 560 Mark I, a 565, and whatever the small 400 series one is. I also have a Canon 430exII and 580exII. I really didn't need any more flashes, but I really liked the built in receiver. I use my RF-602 transmitters all the time even though I have a full set of RF-622s. I like the compact size, and the receivers function as flash holders. I'm not sure what made me buy these, but I did. I bought two. I have a flash addiction. There, I passed the first step.

These are awesome! The built in receiver is badass. I love not having to grab a receiver, worry about batteries on the receiver, worry about turning off the receiver (which sucks on the 602s), etc. The flash itself is really well made; the LCD display is great (the original just had those LEDs), the controls obvious. I also like that there's a quick off setting (through the custom menu) so it turns off at the touch of a button. I hate the two second holds. It's the only thing I like about my Canon 430exII - the toggle switch for on off. I frequently turn flashes on/off when adjusting lighting, and the 430 is the king of this use.

The only complaint I have is the zoom function. There's a single button so you have to scroll through all the ranges if you want to go down a notch. Not a big deal, but an annoyance.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 31, 2013
I ordered the flash from Amazon and it came well packaged. The case is nice. The diffuser is a little difficult to pull out and I'm afraid it will break but so far so good. It takes a little while to figure out all the modes and at first I thought it would not automatically fire from my Nikon D5000's hot shoe but then I realized that the symbol resembling the flash must appear in the LED in order to trigger from the camera. I wonder if others who have stated that the flash would not fire from the camera overlooked this as well. So far, the flash works perfectly in slave mode and attached to the camera. The flash recycles very quickly and the sound is nice to let you know that it's recharged. The sound function can be turned off. The zoom and power level features are easy to adjust and I was able to take beautiful photos within minutes!
on September 21, 2015
Sadly, I'm going to have to agree with many others in the 1-star club for this thing.
I made two mistakes with the Yongnuo 560 III:

1. I chose this product. I've tinkered with this thing for quite a while and haven't gotten it to successfully fire a flash once. Manual mode, slave mode, on-flash, off-flash. Multiple battery changes. Nothing works. Well, it does chirp happily, indicating success... but no success. I'd like to think that maybe I'm the one unlucky recipient of an assembly line dud, but despite resistance to the exponential wallet pain involved with this evolving passion of ours, you generally get what you pay for. I was just hoping the price/function benefit wouldn't be too good to be true. It is. This purchase is a gamble at best.

2. I waited too long to return it. As I've experimented with it on-and-off, I thought initially I was just Yongnuo-incompetent. I'd put it down, wait a bit, do some research, re-read the directions, try it again, etc. In all of that, the return policy timeframe was surpassed, and I'm stuck with a beepy paper weight. My advice is, if you go for this flash, test it thoroughly immediately after you receive it.
on April 4, 2014
Fantastic flash for the price.

First thing to note, this flash model is not a TTL flash (Thru The Lens). TTL model is bit more expensive than this one. With TTL, basically your flash can see through lens and adjust the exposure automatically. Without TTL you will need to set the exposures manually. And I personally needed a non TTL flash because for creative lighting you anyways won't use automatic exposures.
I already have Nikon SB-600 flash, but wanted to have couple more flashes for creative lighting. (And Nikon SB-800 and SB-900 were too expensive for me at the moment).
I already had a Wireless Flash Trigger Transmitters (YONGNUO RF-603II-N3 16CH 2.4GHz), so communicating remotely with this flash was super easy without the need for additional transmitter for each flash. Note, there are multiple options for your camera to communicate with this flash.

The build quality of this flash and the amount of light (guide #) that it emits is pretty decent. It comes with a nice case and a stand (for keeping the flash on a flat surface if needed).

I purchased the second flash shortly after the first one. Perhaps I will get couple more to cover additional lighting angles.
Even then it will cost will me less than a single SB800 or SB900 :-).
No dis-respect for SB-900, it is a powerful flash and may last a lifetime.

Now I do not know how long this flash will last; and the battery usage efficiency. But I will make sure that I do not always use the flash at full power unless I really need it, and hopefully it will last for a long time.