Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: You Are My Heart and Other Stories
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

75%
25%
Format: Paperback|Change

on February 27, 2016
I thought this would be interesting, the first of the author's fiction that I had read. I took an interest in it after reading Imagining Robert his autobiographical account of life with his bipolar/schizophrenic brother. That book was quite masterful and very moving, also humane. I am looking for more of this and so have bought his novel 1940. A lot of the short stories in this volume are based in France for some reason, seemed a bit peculiar for an American author who is revealed in the autobiography to be very much a product of a time and place in the US.
on May 9, 2011
Jay Neugeboren's new collection of short stories shows yet again what a wonderful writer he is. Each story is engaging from the first sentence, but each also raises personal and philosophical matters at a depth rarely found in contemporary fiction. The title story, "You Are My Heart", for example, is not only a love story that I found myself caring about; it is also a story about race relations in the 1950s, about bigotry beneath the surface of tolerance, about the power of family and community values, about character, and about Brooklyn, basketball, and more. These are, in short, stories that can be read on many levels and are worth taking the time to think about as well as to enjoy.
on May 17, 2011
I could not put this enthralling book down! Jay Neugeboren's stories are both literate and emotional and each story draws you in from the first sentence. The stories successfully invoke long-lost feelings of teenage sexuality, first loves, betrayal, and they run the gamut of human relationships. Neugeboren brings a broad variety of fascinating information into each story (Brooklyn, World War II, AIDS, depression, politics, heart disease...), making them real and providing depth. I laughed, I cried, and I hated to see this book end.
on May 29, 2011
Jay Neugeboren's "You are my Heart" matches his previous triumph, 1940. The subject matter is quite different: "1940: took the fascinating true case of Hitler's Jewish (childhood) doctor and made it into a touching romance as well as a brilliant reflection on the endless complexity of good and evil. "You are my Heart" deals with the same general themes, but with the intimacy of the best short fiction and memoirs, effortlessly combining nostalgia and universal themes.
on July 11, 2011
Fans of Jay Neugeboren have reason to rejoice in this new collection of short stories. Readers who aren't yet familiar with this writer's substantial body of work have much to look forward to. These eleven stories are remarkable for their variety and their vitality. In each one we immerse ourselves in the lives of the characters and the outside world falls away, just as it does in the very best of fiction. The stories are filled with surprises, but in every case they ring true. This is a collection by a writer at the top of his form, a writer who understands the power of the short story and has the dexterity, imagination, and insight into the human heart to create gem after gem.
on May 1, 2011
The short stories in "You Are My Heart" are mainly about encounters between men and women. They are often unusual in circumstance and location, and none of them takes a predictable or commonplace course. The long title story in particular is a pitch-perfect rendering of first love, distinguished by time, place, and its interracial nature. It is achingly lovely and effortlessly unlocks memories.
Robert Moss
on May 3, 2011
In his new short story collection, "You Are My Heart," Jay Neugeboren proves, yet again, that he is an expert prober of the heart of all of our hearts. Also that he continues to be a formidable cardiologist of literary finesse and deftness.
on May 6, 2011
I'm really looking forward to reading this. Neugeboren is one of my favorites. I really enjoyed his last book from Two Dollar Radio, "1940," and I always enjoy his short stories. So this is gonna be a good one, I can tell.