To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life Paperback – March 28, 2006
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
"[McKeith's] no-nonsense weight-loss plan has produced real results."—Now, UK
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
Rather than being marketed as a weight loss regime, Gillian begins the book with getting to know your body from the inside out. She feels the tongue is "a window to the organs". As in reflexology, each part of the tongue corresponds to certain organs (e.g. the extreme tip represents the heart, the sides refer to the gallbladder and liver), and certain conditions tell us what's going on inside of us. For example, tiny cracks on the tongue reflect a vitamin B deficiency, a long crack down the middle is a strong indicator that your stomach is weak and you have a hard time digesting food, etc. Everything from bowel movements to pimply bumps on the arms is covered, and what each symptom likely means.
Gillian encourages a vegetarian diet for 8 weeks, which should begin with a colonic to "clean house". If you've never had a colonic, it's a unique experience. So much old food and gunk is flushed out, leaving you feeling less bloated (you may feel tired afterwards due to detoxing, but I've found that feeling goes away within 24 hours). YAWYE lists a plethora of foods you can eat, called "Gillian's Diet of Abundance". Measuring is not necessary, which is refreshing. Gillian encourages us to follow the simple rules of eating, e.g. eat fruit on it's own, or at least 30 minutes before other food, as it digests the fastest. Fruit eaten after other foods will sit on top of that food and putrify in your stomach, leading to gas and bloating. Never eat meat and starchy foods together.Read more ›
I think it's important not to take an all-or-nothing attitude towards this or any other nutritional plan. Dr. McKeith herself even says that if you follow most of her advice most of the time, you will already make huge improvements in your overall health. Sure, she advises against refined sugars, caffeine, alcohol, red meat and a number of other things, but that's her job. This certainly doesn't mean that I'm going to give up my morning cup of coffee, my glass of wine or the occasional slice of pizza. What it does mean, though, is that I want to make good food choices on a daily basis, so that I can feel good, look good and hopefully *crosses fingers* decrease the impact of the few bad things I do. Hell, we all sometimes eat and drink things that are probably not good for us, but the point is that you can still make plenty of healthy choices every day.
Dr. McKeith advocates eating foods in their raw, natural state as often as possible.Read more ›
Her premise is that after your body weight stabilizes you need only follow her course 80% of the time and can indulge yourself the other 20%.
I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who has become discouraged with other plans. Make a two month commitment to yourself and give Gillian a try!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Love Gillian McKeith. Valid info. Integrate this with what you do now and lean towards her suggestions.Published 27 days ago by Film Fan
Such a good, educational read. The pictures are amazing and improve my desire to read it! So much wonderful information.Published 1 month ago by jen
The pictures are gorgeous. Beautiful photography throughout.
If you are interested in taking hundreds of dollars of supplements and eating from a very strict list- this... Read more
This is a MUST HAVE book, I think everyone WILL benefit from looking at this book. I promise you it is definitely worth buying.Published 8 months ago by Brittany