Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 5, 2017
I loved Burroughs first three books but then he began to thin out. I think he mined his life thouroughly and now is having a bit of trouble keeping his new writing interesting. I read the first two stories and honestly didn't laugh once. Also, they just felt phony. RUNNING WITH SCISSORS is an awesome book and will always be. A true achievement that Mr. Burroyghs can always proud of.
on December 13, 2013
I wanted a book with some stories set at Christmastime, not for religious reading but for humorous reading. Having read Augusten Burroughts's "Dry" and "Running with Scissors," I had a pretty good idea of the kind of humor I would get--dry, witty, ironical, maybe sometimes cynical. I read it early in the holiday season, about 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. I also have David Sedaris's "Holidays on Ice," which I'm saving to read the week before Christmas--or I should say "reread," as I've read it nearly every year since it came out and loved it just as much each time as I did the first time I heard him read part of one of his narratives on NPR.
on October 29, 2011
I have read most of his books so far and loved them all, but this one is different in that it shows a less cynical than usual, gentler side of the author. A few of the tales are so heartfelt and tender that they turned me into a sobbing mess. I would highly recommend it.

I disagree with the comparisons to Sedaris that other reviewers have made. I think Burroughs has much more depth and emotional range, compared to Sedaris' lighter fare (and David Rakoff's, for that matter). In my opinion, nothing Sedaris has done can compare in sheer emotional emotional impact to the author's story about George in this volume (and a couple others as well), or to the absolutely heartrending story about the posthumous piece of jewelry in his book Dry.
on January 7, 2017
A week after Christmas, the family returned to their homes and schedules leaving me with the cold virus of 2016. The gift that kept on giving. I took to my bed. The title spoke to me. I laughed, I cried, I may read it again. I most definitely liked it better than Cats. I strongly recommend this book.
on February 26, 2017
I was disappointed in this, the first time for any of Mr Borrough's books. It is positively hilarious at the beginning, and before halfway it is just boring, with little to make me smile.
on December 16, 2015
One of my favorite holiday reads. I think there are about 8 short stories I read one every night 8 days before Christmas. Burroughs truly inspires to appreciate Christmas with out the all the glitter and glam after all all that shimmers does fade and he brings the perfect balance to the table on this. Read it 2 times now
on January 2, 2010
Augusten Burroughs loves Christmas, but it doesn't seem to love him back. This collection of darkly humorous, real, and yet beautiful memoir stories details various Christmases, from eating the face off a life-sized Jesus/Santa to Christmas with the homeless, from dealing with a one-night-stand with a French Santa to a flooded house. I read it in one day, couldn't put it down. Definitely deserves a place on the shelf with holiday essays of Laurie Notaro and David Sedaris. It will truly put you in a holiday mood by putting it all into perspective. Grade: A
One person found this helpful
on February 10, 2018
Perfect, thank you!
on October 16, 2016
Witty. If Burroughs could stop slipping in his whineyself absorbed comments it would be splendid. Otherwise a good ok laff.
on June 10, 2014
Because he makes you feel like like they really are true. But this book is very contrived-feeling, with some stories that because they don't feel like they come from life, just feel offensive. He can really get away with telling us some horrific stuff when it feels like we join him in a journey about life, about being human, about truths. But there are stories in here that are inflicted upon us, about attention seeking lies, about lying gratuitous vulgarity, about false and beautiful icing pretending it's not on a sh*& cupcake. I'm dissappointed. Someone needed money and wrote this piece of crap knowing it would sell because some of us out here are loyal to _Augusten Burroughs_. What a letdown.
4 people found this helpful