Oil month Automotive Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 25, 2016
This is the honest account of how Tammy Strobel simplified her life in ways that brought her more happiness and meaning. I think that her story is inspiring and that she managed to write it in an engaging way. She also includes tiny-actions that we can take to assess and simplify our own lives.
Top Contributor: Babieson November 2, 2017
You Can Buy Happiness (and it's cheap) is a wonderful read.
The author radically simplified her life. The real life stories are wonderful. Very informative and entertaining. Not pushy to try to force anyone into her new downsized life style but explaining why she did what she did and the results for her. Really enjoy how she sets out micro actions that are realistic to be able to put into action. Practical tips. Lots of real life stories. Also like the ideas that she took time with implementing her decision rather than just rush in and then have the new life fade out. Simplification is the keystone. This author does a great job engaging the reader. She really connects to the reader in an amazing way. You feel like you are sitting and chatting hearing her story of downsizing and what others thought and how she did it. Feels more like an interview or storytelling of yesteryear than a book. Clear and succinct writing. Great that she repeats that there is no one size fits all solution to how anyone should simplify or reduce possessions or living quarters. The author is not preachy as many in this genre seem to be. Great motivation to purge and unclutter.
EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS and HIGHLY RECOMMEND
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 10, 2016
This book is not just about tiny homes, it is about learning to find daily pleasures and living simply. The author has several powerful quotes, and it is definitely a book I will review for continued inspiration.
on September 25, 2014
A wonderful testament to leaving "materialism" behind can free us to do and enjoy what is most important to us. Tammy realized what the quest for more "stuff" was doing to her life and relationships--stress, poor health and too much drinking among other harmful symptoms. With the help of her husband and friends, she simplified her life and found the freedom to be and do what she wanted, what she had passions for. In short, she found happiness. This is a well-written guide to set us all on the path to a more simple life.
on June 4, 2014
I bought this and delayed reading it for a few months, allowing myself to be distracted with all the little things in life. I read it in one day, and it reignited a frame of mind I had before I got into my career. I have absolutely been on the path of "I need a bigger house, nicer furniture, a prettier yard, more of this, it's on sale so I should buy it," and so on. Reading this book reminded me of my big picture goals about the quality of my life. I'm so glad I picked up the book.

The dialogs seem a bit scripted, but otherwise the writing is clear and easy to read, and the author does not patronize or condescend. I also appreciated all the references to other books and blogs.
on November 6, 2015
Great advice for someone who is searching for a reason to make sense of her life. Great ideas on how to get realistic about what we truly need to get by. I don't think I'll ever live in a little house, but I do think it is wise to realize that we need to get rid of stuff and stop buying it. I'm not a good writer and I can't express how the book has helped me, but it has!
on November 21, 2012
I have not written many reviews, but I have to say a few words about this book. To keep it simple, this is one of the best, if not the best, books on simplifying your life and focusing on what is really valuable i.e. relationships, time, love and creative expression - among others. The value of time and clarity of purpose means that whatever you truly value, you will now how the time for it and the awareness to make it a priority.

I am not even finished with the book and my life course has changed in a significantly positive way.

Thank you so much Tammy. I hope to meet you and your husband in PDX someday.

Sincerely,

Pista Prema
on February 12, 2013
I've been fascinated by the "tiny house" movement for awhile now. I don't aspire to living in less than 500 sq. ft. myself. (Lofts are absolutely lovely and romantic, but I don't relish the idea of having to negotiate a ladder with a full bladder. Also, hubby and I need our separate spaces.) However, seeing how it CAN be done is very inspiring!

Tammy's book was a very nice read, and I enjoyed the suggested action steps at the end of the chapters. I've been doing some decluttering in my way-too-big house, and while I haven't specifically used any of her ideas, they sparked some overall goals. I'd love to be in a smaller space altogether, but a move is not in the cards for the foreseeable future. I can still learn to live with far far less, and enjoy having less stuff to have to keep clean and organized!

I agree with other reviewers that no one who has looked into downsizing, decluttering, simplicity, etc. will learn much of anything new in this book, but the basic concepts are worth reviewing often, and a fresh voice is always welcome!

The one thing that detracted from my enjoyment of the book was difficulty keeping track of the timeline. Still, this is a solid 4-4.5 star read. :)
11 comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 6, 2017
Wow! I love this book. I have no intentions of moving into a tiny house, but this book is very motivating and a great read for everyone. In fact, I love it as much as Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin! I only wish I could have been there for Tammy to encourage her to keep her ring, but reset her negative thoughts to positive ones...consider the love given to purchase and then move on. :) Wear it for special outings and thank your hubby for working so hard!!!! Waiting for her next book!!!!!
on April 2, 2013
I think this book has a good message and good intentions. I'm not sure it's the best book on the topic - being happier with less, not placing so much value on 'stuff', decluttering, simplifying your life, quality vs quantity, learning what is most important to you, etc. - but it does have some good content and did reaffirm a path I had already begun before purchasing the book.

My problem with the book is the subtitle "how one woman radically simplified her life and how you can too". This led me to believe this was a single woman going it on her own. The book is about her and her husband and thus more resources than a single gal would have (two incomes, more flexibility, man power). I really wanted to hear about a single woman's perspective and experience, because I believe there are more difficulties when you don't have a partner.