Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 1, 2014
Edited 2 Sept. 2015 (see below):

I'll never be the same again. And that's good.

I spent 47 years struggling to gain or maintain weight, then I was diagnosed with celiac disease and, within a couple of years, had packed on 40 pounds . . . 20 to 30 more than I needed. I had absolutely no experience eating a reasonable amount and absolutely no idea how to lose weight and keep it off. Throw in menopause, and suddenly, I had a weight -- and a shape -- problem. After struggling with all the things I'd always thought were necessary to lose weight and maintain the loss, I knew I needed help. I ordered this book and began reading it.

Suddenly, I understood why my obese sister proclaims, "Diets don't work." They don't. I'm not close to finishing this book. In fact, I haven't even read to the eating and exercise plan, yet I have already lost an inch from my waist from gaining a better understanding of what my body does with food and by taking the few little suggestions mentioned thus far in the book. I bought a second copy for my husband, who, according to the authors, only needs to lose about an inch in his waist, so he could read it and be an informed cheerleader/buddy for me. (You need these, but don't worry if you don't have any as the authors will tell you where to find some online.) I am recommending it to just about everyone I know, including those who don't need to lose weight but who do carry increased risks of Alzheimer's disease, cancer, cardiovascular disease, obesity, premature aging, and just about any other ailment. Because, despite the title, it isn't about dieting. It's about resetting your own body to be the shape and weight it was designed to be and to work for you rather than against you. In the process, you will improve just about every aspect of your health.

The book is actually fun to read. The style is casual, conversational, with plenty of humor to keep readers hooked. Parts of it are laugh-out-loud irreverently funny -- not at all the formal physician-speak of my childhood.

I'm perplexed by the reviewers who claim the book offers nothing new. It is a radically different approach to health, including waist (rather than weight) management. I taught aerobics classes for years, and this book definitely includes some new information as well as new approaches to much of the traditional belief and thinking involving fitness and dieting. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't benefit from reading it.

The book is pricey, in all formats. For this reason, I purchased used hardback editions for myself and my husband. I got nearly pristine copies, so someone's lose was my gain. I mean, loss. Gainful loss!

UPDATED July 2015: I have since lost 30 pounds and more than 4 inches from my waist. My physicians say I am now the perfect size for my frame. Even better, I'm keeping the weight off. I haven't done the yo-yo thing. I never really bothered with the suggested menus, as I have so many food allergies/intolerances, but learning how my body uses and responds to different kinds of foods gave me all the information I needed to lose the weight and regain my hourglass figure. I couldn't be happier.

UPDATED September 2015: I'm still keeping the weight off. In fact, I lost a few extra pounds before spending three weeks away from home expecting to gain some back while I was gone. I returned from the trip the same weight as when I left. I dug out my "before" measurements today and compared them to "after" -- and I'm thrilled. I'm not so thin that anyone can count my ribs or vertebrae, yet the definition of my rib cage does show. I've made the rounds of all my physicians now, and they are all thrilled with my size and shape, or body conditioning.
on September 2, 2015
I first checked this book out at the library, I found it very interesting and written so that it was easy to understand. If you are looking to lose weight the safe and old fashioned way...this book has it all for success.
It not only explains all about how the body works, why we have cravings, gain weight, metabolism and many many other things there's humor mixed in and little facts scattered all through the book.
Once you understand the ins, outs, and why things work the way they do, there's the exercise. Even the dreaded part of exercise is fun. Its just a few pages illustrated with a hand drawn person and the exercises are very basic and simple. No aerobics, jumping, or even coordination needed. But you do get a whole body workout.
Then the best part....the food! There are numerous breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack recipes. With the exception of soups most recipes are for 2 servings and call for normal ingredients.
I was really impressed with the way this book was written. Which is why even though its almost a decade old I order a copy for myself. Its a complete weight loss program that is sensible, gives you knowledge, recipes, menu plans, and doable exercise. I've got my shopping list ready (which is also in the book) and ready to get started.
on January 9, 2016
I love the idea of the book and think the diet plan is great. I really wanted to love this book, but the endless analogies make the book very difficult to read. Things like referring to the tongue as a "stamp licker" or saying you are "drooling like an overheated St Bernard", are very distracting. I would love to see this book rewritten in a more straightforward manner.
on April 9, 2014
I do not go to the gym, and I eat extremely unhealthy! I purchased this book because I felt so lost on what is good and what is bad for you to eat. I was also sick of spending tons of money on different diet fads. I gave the book 4 instead of 5 stars because I became bored with a couple chapters in the middle. The beginning of the book is so motivating that I couldn't wait to start changing my eating habits and eating healthier. The meal plan and shopping list is extremely helpful but I do not recommend purchasing the entire shopping list like I did (I spent over $300.00!!), instead create your meal plan first and make a smaller list off of that. I have been eating much healthier and feel much more knowledgeable about what to eat and what to avoid. Its simply a great tool for beginning your weight-loss/health journey.
on January 11, 2016
I didn't care for the way in which this book is written...trying to be too "funny" about serious things I found the book annoying. It has a lot of good information, but trying so hard to be comical that it looses it's factional information. Lots of "cartoon" type illustrations as well. Assumes the reader is non-educated and cannot understand without stupid simple illustrations - insulting
Found this a helpful guide.. There was information in here that I haven't found in other books. For example: we all have heard that we need to limit our consumption of red meat. But what I never heard was how much red meat was okay - none, twice a week, every other day? This book says a quarter pound size of lean beef is okay per week. So, can have a lean beef patty or beef vegetable soup or a slice of beef roast once a week without guilt. Like the Chipotle bowls with sirloin or their shredded flavor beef, too. So, it you want a technical guide to waist management and health, this book has plenty of helpful ideas and information. It is written in a lively and informative manner.
on August 24, 2013
The information in the book was VERY useful and good and interesting, and a lot was new to me (I've read a lot of these books.) However, the author/editor or someone went beserk with some of the most annoying, distracted mixed metaphors, cliches and synonyms I have EVER seen in one place! The stupid cutesy drawings were cluttered and not very useful. It's a shame, as the book could have been great. I liked some of the recipes in the end.

This is probably one of the books where Dr. Oz just puts his picture on the cover for sales. It seemed to have been written primarily by the doctor from the Cleveland Clinic.

Needs to be updated with new research - second edition is from 2009.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 25, 2011
Guys want the facts, just the facts, and they don't want to be told about "points","exchanges" and other complex plans that constrict your lifestyle. If that describes you, man or woman, this is the book for you. This diet book does not present a weight loss "plan", it presents just the facts that you need to understand that the only plan you need is watching your waist. By presenting waist size as a simple measure of your degree of risk for life threatening diseases, the authors then move on to showing you how to control waist size by controlling the buildup of fat. It works for me. Bottom line is, if my pants feel tighter, I need to pay attention, and Dr. Oz shows me how to get the job done.

Like a Motor Manual for your body, the book tells it like it is, and makes no excuses. Listen up, guys!
on June 12, 2010
My husband and I started with the Real Age two week "starter" program online and then we bought the book. It has lots of information and many more great recipes including the ones online. I lost nine pounds and 2 1/2 inches off my waist and my husband is the slimmest he has been in years. It's amazing what good food will do for your body. Of course we've coupled that with exercise (1 1/4 miles around our school track five times a week.) Read the book and use it - makes lots of sense and it's easy to understand.
on January 11, 2007
First let me assure you that I am as skeptical as the next person when someone says "I have something that will help you lose weight". But if you do nothing else this year, get this book and read it. Michael Roizen has teamed up with renowned Dr. Oz to make losing weight something everyone can do. It's not written in condescending terms, but it is written so that you can understand exactly what happens in your body with the food you eat, and even explains why we eat what we do when we do. Anyone who has ever watched Dr. Oz on "Oprah" knows that he is brutally honest (Lets face it, the man talks enthusiasticly about body functions)

Even if you don't have extra pounds to lose, this book will help you understand the effect food has on your body now, and in the future. I have recommended this book & "You, the Smart Patient" to family, friends, and everyone I know who takes their health seriously.

Do your loved ones a favor, make this year a healthy one to remember and get "You On a Diet". You & they will be glad you did.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse