Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

You Have Been Here Before: A Psychologist Looks at Past Lives
Format: Paperback|Change

My reading interests are wide and varied. Even though I am a scientific minded person I sometimes like to read material that is more esoteric and that is why I purchased this 242 page paperback (You have been here before: A psychologist looks at past lives by Dr. Edith Fiore) book. This book is somewhat dated being published in 1978 (38 years ago). Reincarnation therapy is an unusual and fascinating topic. Several religious and philosophical systems believe in reincarnation. The author decided to publish her findings after treating numerous people with a wide range of mental problems using hypnosis and bringing her patients back to other lifetimes.

This book is organized into twelve chapters: (1) “Close your eyes and” (2) “Someone’s got a club.” (3) “I’m a man wearing a fur.” (4) “I know what’s behind that door.” (5) “On the ship everybody is hungry.” (6) “There is no sex for somebody like me.” (7) “Fear, fear, and a terror!” (8) “Just listening … watching.” (9) “They call it kissing.” (10) “It cost me my life!” (11) I’m floating.” (12) “We live many lifetimes.”
The author feels many of the present day ailments and problems people are having are directly related to things that happened in their previous lives. Even though I have been fascinated with various esoteric practices such as Zen, Taoism, Tai Chi, Qigong, and Yoga I never bought into the mystical belief of reincarnation. The fact is hypnosis does NOT necessarily bring out the truth but rather brings out possible fantasies of the person under hypnosis. As someone who has been trained and certified in hypnosis techniques I found this book unusual and interesting; however, it still does not show any scientific evidence that reincarnation is in fact true.

Sadly, pseudoscience rather than hard science rules many of the academic fields such as psychology, sociology and parapsychology. If you are interested and are a believer in the subject of reincarnation this book is for you. I admit to finding it an interesting read.

Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Myths and misconceptions in the martial arts and self-defense)
on August 6, 2016
Originally published in 1978, and reprinted in 2005, and still the best resource for the use of past life regression in psychotherapy, IMHO. Clear, easy to read, lots of real-life examples, not pushing this as the answer to all problems, but offering it as another unique technique to use with people who are open to the idea of past lives impacting present circumstances.
on August 30, 2015
I don't know how authentic is this book; I did enjoy reading the stories. What is incredibly salient is the sadness & suffering of humankind besides the ordinary lives that are lived by people. To live past 40 in this day & age is remarkable in the context of history. I think that this book is worth reading as I received new perspectives that allow for me to work through some of my old (way old) stuff. Something I suspected for a long time is that traumas pass on as anything else.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2003
Dr. Fiore is a psychologist trained in traditional treatment methods and later in hypnosis. She began to use hypnosis to treat clients and one day she asked a client to go back in time to the origin of his crippling sexual problems. To her surprise, the client jumped back into a life as a seventeenth century priest. The patient and Dr. Fiore explored this lifetime, released the sexual issues and the patient made a startling recovery that traditional therapy had not given him. Dr. Fiore does not try to disprove or prove the theory of reincarnation in this book. She merely tells the fascinating stories of her patients and their recovery using past life therapy.
20 people found this helpful
on October 21, 2009
I believe, that past life experiances can and do effect your present life situations. This is an excellent book for those looking for probable answers, as to why I can't loose weight or why do I have such a hard time making decisions or what is holding me back from success. Dr. Edith Fiore is an excellent hypnotist in my opinion, I wish I could meet her or learn her method.
Sincerely D.P.
You Have Been Here Before: A Psychologist Looks at Past Livesby Dr. Edith Fiore
on July 9, 2016
I bought this book based on the reviews that state it's helpful - one reviewer goes so far as to say, "this book gives answers to finding the keys to our fears, anxieties..." I don't know what book this reviewer read, but it isn't the book I read.

This book is about 95-97% verbatim script of past life regressions. They are violent and extreme, but then that would make sense if they are causing current life emotional blocks. Unfortunately, after the many pages of script, there is no discussion of how to address and work through the issues in the current life. Essentially, the author follows up each script by writing about how it took a few more weeks or months of additional therapy to process the past life and eventually the people went on to lead happy, much freer lives.

I would have liked things to be reversed - Perhaps one verbatim script would have been good to include, so I could get a feel for a PLR session, but then subsequent client regressions could have been summarized and the discussion about how people process traumas, how different people react and accommodate fears could have been explored more thoroughly.

If you like to read the minute, gory details of very traumatic and violent events, you might like the book. That would be its only value, in my opinion - the thrill of reading something like a bio on Jeffrey Dahmer's life. Other than that, I found it had absolutely NO value for me in understanding more about past life regression in relation to my circumstances and emotional blocks, and how to approach them in my life.

If you are able to correlate a woman getting gang raped and then having her head cut off in a past life with her now having an aversion to sex and getting headaches whenever it looks like sex with her husband is inevitable, well then this book won't give you any more insight into how past lives can affect the current life. If, on the other hand, you don't see the correlation, then this book might help you.

I've come to add to my review - I just received the other PLR book I ordered, "Healing the Eternal Soul" by Andy Tomlinson, and this book is amazing! This has the depth and insight I that was missing in Fiore's book. Again, unless you like reading verbatim scripts and very little discussion of the scripts, don't waste your money on Fiore's book. I'm only 1/3 of the way through "Healing the Eternal Soul," and it's so superior to Fiore's book. Tomlinson's book has some scripts but so much presentation and discussion. He presents emotional blocks and discusses them, then goes into past lives and current lives and how both are affected by events. He gives examples, a 2 page script with the "uh-huh"s and the "um"s omitted instead of a 15 page script, and he then presents and discusses meaning.

If you only buy one book on PLR, make it "Healing the Eternal Soul." It's worth the price.
One person found this helpful
on November 8, 2016
Well written book. Great approach to this subject.
on January 16, 2015
Good book filled with other peoples experiences.
on November 14, 2014
I read this book decades ago, and decided I wanted to give this a try since I lived in the SF Bay Area and travel to Dr. Fiore's office was feasible. Her hypnotherapy technique permanently cured my lactose intolerance, my allergy to wheat, and a number of other food intolerances. It is not necessary to "believe in" reincarnation for this to work; it works regardless.

I would not call the hypnotic state a "trance" per se; it's more a state of deep relaxation which Dr. Fiore taught me, and which I still use to relax or to go to sleep quickly.

I'm sorry the one-star-reviewer was upset by reading this book, but you should understand that traumatic death experiences are virtually always gory and violent. If they weren't, they wouldn't have much of a negative impact in a subsequent life. And not all physical problems can be completely cured. I was born with fused C6-C7 vertebrae. I wasn't expecting to grow a new disc and cartilage. After a remembrance of being a Roman soldier thrown from a horse (breaking my neck) and another of a Frenchwoman beheaded during the revolution (I was neither rich nor royal, just accused), the intermittent sharp stabbing pain I felt in my neck was almost entirely eliminated. (I never finished with that one; I was laid off and had to quit therapy.)

If you've tried everything else or you think there's no treatment for your problem, find a therapist trained in Dr. Fiore's technique.
6 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
Dr. Edith Fiore is a psychologist who has also written books such as Encounters: A Psychologist Reveals Case Studies of Abductions by Extraterrestrials,The Unquiet Dead: A Psychologist Treats Spirit Possession, etc. She wrote in the Introduction to this 1978 book, "I wrote this book neither to prove nor to disprove reincarnation. Nor do I wish to settle the question of the immortality of the soul... I do want to share with you some human dramas that unfolded during two incredible years of my clinical practice---dramas of people whose current lives were crippled in one way or another because of tragic events that happened in their former lives..." (Pg. 1)

She notes, "Many of my patients have discovered that the causes of their phobias, fears and even aversions were rooted in some traumatic event of a previous lifetime... Insomnia and other sleep disorders also stemmed, in many cases, from horrifying things that happened during sleep in past lives... Headaches, pains, disorders or weaknesses of certain areas of the body were often related to events in former lifetimes, too... My patients have been amazed to find that some recurring nightmares are actually flashbacks to experiences lived in previous lives." (Pg. 7-8)

She suggests, "There are many theories concerning reincarnation and the mechanics of rebirth. One which is particularly intriguing is the concept of group reincarnation which posits that people living during certain time frames reincarnate together... Many people have developed a greater understanding of their compatibility with their spouse or lover after examining their past life links. Instant attractions, dislikes, feelings of familiarity or distrust have been explained by events in former lives." (Pg. 8)

She observes, "In most cases, the death experience is THE event that is responsible for the person's symptoms and problems. Previous deaths have affected us in many ways... I have observed many similarities and, occasionally, unique differences in these deaths... A description of the interim between lifetimes, taken from my patients' fascinating accounts, will have to wait for a future publication... many of my patients recall events in the interim between lifetimes whereas [Raymond] Moody's [in Life After Life] do not." (Pg. 216-217)

She concludes, "[A] question that we must consider is... could the former lifetime that is experienced be an elaborate fantasy the patient believes is reality?... So far that question has not been DEFINITIVELY answered in my own mind. I am doing research on lives in which there are birth dates or death dates and other concrete 'evidence.' ... At this point I feel that the end result, in terms of remission of symptoms, is almost conclusive proof." (Pg. 239)

This book will be of interest to those interested in reincarnation and similar paranormal events.
5 people found this helpful