BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 4, 2017
Well written and a great gift for the young woman headed off to their freshman year at college.
on July 27, 2017
The book came right away, and I'm enjoying it .
on March 17, 2017
Love it.
on May 1, 2009
This is the second time I have read this book. In my first relationship, it helped me to understand her point of view. Unfortunately, we never got past that. In my current relationship, we are reading this book and another by the same author simultaneously and discussing the meaning and implications of the material. I find that the material is very good at explaining common misunderstandings that arise in relationships. It's not very good at going beyond that, i.e. explaining or suggesting what you do with the new understanding. However, in my opinion, having awareness of what is happening is a major step in moving forward in any relationship. That is what the book was meant to do and it succeeds very well. I recommend it to anyone who finds themselves stuck in a recurring loop of "he said, she said."
on August 18, 2015
When I've had my high school students read this book they often exclaimed, " I wish I'd read this last year! I could have save my relationship with my boyfriend/girlfriend!" It's very insightful commentary on the differences between how men and women talk. We can use the same word to mean completely different things. Very life changing information.
on April 25, 2017
I wish I could recommend this book to myself fifteen years ago. Many of my interactions would have made more sense to me if I understood gendered conversational styles.
on October 10, 2017
She's a genius at explaining communication styles, differences and breakdowns. Highly engaging and interesting.
on August 20, 2002
At first I reacted negatively, writing Tannen's thoughts off as pseudoscience from an academic. But as I thought through my negative reaction I realized, ironically, that it was because I was finding it insightful. I'm in continuous contact with a lot of people everyday and Tannen's material was shedding a lot of light on what happens in the dynamics of interpersonal relationships.
The book is a practical guide and has helped me to understand why people react the way they do in conversation. I've also learned how I can change to facilitate better conversation and understand people better. The overall result to date as been positive and while I don't pretend to be a perfect person to all people, I find myself much more satisfied and comfortable among people.
on August 30, 2017
I found this book to be very dated
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2015
A very good book for those who want to understand the difference in communication between a male or female. Gives very clear studies and conversations that expound on why we have trouble communicating with the opposite sex. Learned a lot.