Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 13, 2016
Effective budget software. I was not able to budget before because other budgeting products were part of a more complicated scheme like QuickBooks and make it so difficult. YNAB has me thinking differently and therefore saving and spending differently - I ask myself if the action I am about to take will get me what I want. Fosters an approach without self blame, just where do we go from here.
on October 10, 2014
This system has helped me a lot: helped me to see where I was spending too much money, helped me to see what I needed to be saving for in advance, and helped me think twice before I buy something. Worth the investment! They also have free online seminars to use how to use all of the features.
on February 15, 2013
I have been using my own Excel Spread Sheet for Years. It worked okay and I kinda had an idea where I wanted to go and thought I was in control, somewhat at least, but without a financial background I struggled to Manage my Finances. Since I purchased YNAB and started using it, I am truly in control,Penny for Penny. I feel better about my finances and my life. I told family and friends about YNAB and I am still telling everybody that will listen. I even tell my colleages about it. I also bought YNAB for my grown kids and encouraged them to use it to take control of their finances. I don't know how I managed without it! I have the whole year financially planned ahead, and debt wise I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Take Control over Your Finances today, and be excited about your Financial Control like me...finally! Everybody should realize: "You Need A Budget" and get One.
on August 24, 2011
Bought this product to save for a house and pay down credit card debt. The four rules are ones we all know we should follow, but this software allows you to see the little purchases that really add up. My spouse and I talk about money now, not ignore it! We keep each other in check! I have been using the program for about 3 weeks now, and know that I still need to do a better job giving every dollar a job! I highly recommend this software, and wish I had started budgeting much sooner, I know I would not be in debt if I had used this program!
on October 8, 2013
My family has been using this product now for over 5 years. It is a wonderful product that can help with budgets and planning as well as everyday keep up on the checkbook and balancing statements.
on June 1, 2013
All I needed was software to keep track of cash flow YNAB fits the bill. The cloud sync makes it easy to keep my phone app up dated and I can enter purchases on my phone when I make them.
on March 12, 2013
Connected to mobile devices with ease!
"Learns" the more you input
Even I could figure out how to use it!
on May 8, 2011
Been using YNAB for years, I don't follow all the rules but it is still great for tracking expenses, credit cards, checking accounts, and just knowing what you're doing with your money. Will never go back to quicken junk again.
on January 14, 2008
I'm just doing the basic budgeting stuff, not using the account management yet. It was great to hear my wife on the phone asking if something was "in the budget".

I'm a big overspender when it comes to "home upgrades". I like the best of everything and my credit card was starting to show it. This software has helped me in so many ways with respect to money management.

I have quicken and money, but both were really a waste of money for budgeting. They are too complex and just don't provide the "in your face" numbers that YNAB Pro does.

The forum community on his website is also pretty active and questions are answered pretty immediately.

You won't be disappointed!

*******
here is my update

I started using and reviewed YNAB with 5 stars back in January. I'd like to rereview the product now that I have been a faithful user.

First, the budgeting philosophy that the creator penned is interesting. I'm not actually following most of it for now as it doesn't fit with my priorities. However, I am doing zero based "every dollar" must have a job budgeting. When my immediate goals are reached within 9 months, I will follow his rules more closely. With respect to the software, this demonstrates that you have freedom. The "philosophy" and the software can be separate or run in harmony.

I have 4 credit card accounts (for various rewards) and a few bank accounts. I regularly logon to my online credit and bank accounts and download my transactions. This is what confuses some people as Quicken or Money does this automatically. I don't believe YNAB will ever be able to do this because of banks' security requirements. I don't know if banks have to form partnerships with the software companies, but I have a feeling it is way out there in the too hard for a tiny company field. It's easy to import transactions and categorize them.

The planning part is very intuitive. You get an immediate picture of your entire budget month to month and you really are forced to make sacrifices. Are you going to a B&B or are you buying a bird bath? I've actually been planning on my car insurance bill coming since January and for the first time have the right amount saved up to pay it.

I used to spend time with it every night in January. I think this period of intimacy for the first month is required. It's kind of like dieting. To properly diet you must keep track of calories or points because at first there is a learning curve (unless you are on some freakish diet that requires juice and a lot of pooping). Now I use it about once a week. I still am not at the point of always saying no to something that's not in the budget, but I'm slowing down.

The one negative part for me is the reporting. Although this software never advertised itself as something that does reporting, it easily could and should. It has all my data, why can't it provide me with totals. It has some very customizable charts and graphs, but they are mostly meaningless to me. I don't expect it to show me my net worth based on investments, but I do expect a how much did I spend in timeframe X. If better reporting is added in, it gets 5 full stars again instead of 4.25.

***May 1st update: According to the YNAB forums, the reports should be added by summer. The best part is that there will be endless possibilities for reports. My only hope is that some are intuitive, such as just hovering the mouse over a column or total.
on March 10, 2013
YNAB is the best budgeting software I've come accross. It does require some time to get used to, but well worth it.