Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on October 6, 2012
I have been looking for a book about teaching upper elementary math in an inquiry based manner for years. Most books focus on K-2. This book is the first one that really fit the bill! I loved learning the history of the use of fractions, decimals and percents. The classroom stories gave me ideas that I can transfer directly to my own classroom, as well as giving me a clearer picture of what mathematizing can look like. It was inspirational and thought provoking, especially on regards to my own practice. Reading it has already made me a better math teacher.
on February 5, 2014
Instead of teaching tricks and procedures that students mindlessly follow without full understanding, this book offers real development of the concepts in powerful ways. Kids will enjoy math too.
on May 3, 2013
This book shows teachers how they can meet the standards of mathematical practice to help students develop conceptual understanding of fractions, decimals and percents and the relationship between them. It's an excellent resource to help teachers implement the common core standards.
on April 17, 2013
This book along with the others in this series is a must read. If you want to have fundamental knowledge of the manner in which children demonstrate and develop mathematical thinking, this is your one stop shop. The most amazing thing is as you read the vignettes and the analysis of the theory involved, you recognize and can identify the math skill and understanding your students demonstrate. A quick look at the "landscape of learning" and you have rubric which can guide you through the big ideas, models and strategies that support student learning for the multiple concepts in elementary mathematics. The idea that 3 and 1/2 times 14 can be seen as 7 x 7 is profound and beautiful given the associative property of multiplication.. Oops, that's book 3.

Our low performing school district in Los Angeles had the opportunity to work with Cathy, our math scores have made tremendous growth because now our teachers have a developmental and fundamental understanding of mathematics. This translates into confidence with math content. The beauty is that these books connect your existing knowledge about mathematics. May I suggest Liping Ma's "knowing and teaching elem math."

I've read and seen them all with incredible growth, i.e., Burns, Richardson, Van de Walle(rip), Kamii, Jacob and Stein. I recommend them all among many others. But to get started, go with Fosnot's Young Mathematicians at Work series. Her supplemental materials that include videos, full lessons and year long mini lesson ideas can turn your classroom and staff development into enrichment centers. This is transformative work.
on August 21, 2015
Wonderful and insightful book
on February 9, 2011
The book is the visual tool we need in class to teach math concepts. It provides detailed successful lessons. It addresses the question of what does it means to learn mathematics.
on February 15, 2015
Item just as described.
on July 28, 2014
It's difficult to disagree with Fosnot's abstractions: recent headlines echo the common refrain than US math instruction "sucks." But...

Teachers don't need more books (a) repeating that the "old ways" don't work, (b) filled with overly-long quotes and stories of "super teachers," and (c) promoting some 5-point, abstract model for how to make every math minute count.

Teachers need support in real classrooms: easily accessible materials, gobs of concrete, nitty-gritty examples, help with the inevitable bumps in the road.

And if US teachers fail to teach math well because we weren't well taught, then what we need is support increasing our mathematical thinking.

Impressed by Fosnot materials sent by a math teacher, I bought this book (Constructing Number Sense) hoping to "get the meat." But... there is no meat, nothing I can use tomorrow in my elementary classroom. I've rarely read a book and underlined less. My copy's in the box for Goodwill.

Any teacher serious about teaching math better should consider Hung-Hsi Wu's, Understanding Numbers in Elementary School Mathematics. Yes, it's expensive. But unlike Constructing Number Sense, it's worth every penny and gets reached for on a daily basis.
on November 24, 2014
I teach multiple grades and this book was very easy read and lent insight into why the prior grades need to learn addition and subtraction using place value and the great value of number sense. This is the first year of a new math program in our schools and several second grade teachers wanted to briefly touch upon the place value method for addition and subtraction, which would be detrimental for future grades.
on March 18, 2013
I thought I was pretty good at helping young people understand mathematics to discover the real meaning behind the way numbers work in Base 10, but this book really helped me see the value of allowing time for young people to discover the way our number system works that will stay with them for a lifetime.