Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Your Goats: A Kid's Guide to Raising and Showing
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 18, 2010
I picked up this book based on its simplicity. I am preparing to enter the world of dairy goats so I wanted something easy to get all the necessary vocabulary down so I know what part of the goat is this, etc.
I must say I chose WELL. If you absolutely do not know anything about goats this book is a good intro into wetting the brain for more input. I didn't put it down once I picked it up feeling like all the fancy words people were using in the forums or websites now made complete sense. By no means is this a be all end all book-do get more books that go into greater detail like nutrition, breeds, housing, and the like. This book isn't thorough on all that has to do with goat owning. No book will have that kind of information but Your Goats is a great start for beginners.

My nitpicks are I would like to see it updated with nods to additional breeds including newer ones (like Kinder or Pygora ) along with a bigger breeder list (both on and off the web addresses included), a few more additional books specifically to nutrition and/or treating the goats naturally.
The last one isn't a must have but it is nice to know that you can treat them without reverting to powerful chemicals. Again great book for beginners, maybe even experienced people who left the goat world and now are coming back can benefit from some foundational brush up. This one will be well loved for a while.
on February 13, 2013
I learned more in this book & was truly surprised at even though it is written to be a guide for children, it is a universal book for all!! Very informative, great tips & with us doing a new Christian Education center for children on goats & other animals, it gives a new perspective for everyone on our Pure of Heart Farms here in Florida. Even if you are not a goat owner, there are great aspects for any responsible pet owner!! A MUST HAVE!!!!!
on April 25, 2013
I PURCHASED THIS BOOK FOR A FRIEND WHO WANTED TO RAISE GOATS. IT HELPED A LOT. SHE HAD BEAUTIFUL GOATS,OTHER HELPFUL THINGS AS IN HOW MUCH TO FEED AND HOW TO KEEP CLEAN .MANY DIFFERENT OTHER THINGS ALSO. VERY EXCELLENT BOOK FOR ALL THE KNOWLEDGE THERE IS NEEDED ON RAISING GOATS
on July 20, 2010
I originally purchased this book to help teach my grandson about goats, but quickly realized what a great all purpose resource it was. It's easy to understand, yet it doesn't read like a juvenile text. It contains a lot of information without going overboard on the facts or delving into the minutia. I highly recommend it for adults and kids alike.
One person found this helpful
on February 2, 2018
For a child, the black and white pictures were not quite up to snuff. It was a gift and I am not certain how interesting it is to my great nephew.
on April 16, 2011
It's not just a guide for kids, but one of the best guides period! This is the book I recommend to first time goat buyers with every one of my pygmies,, and the book I bought for my grandson before his first goat. Frank and descriptive, It describes everything! Feed, housing, picking out your goat to assisting with kidding, hoof trimming,vaccinations...this book has it all! I highly recommend!
on October 7, 2014
This was a very good and informative book on caring and raising goats. After reading it I decided that I didn't want to raise goats. This book would be great for someone who is considering getting a goat or who has recently stated taking care of one.
on January 5, 2013
I really like this series of books -- A Kid's guide to Raising and Showing... I also have the books for chickens and sheep. I find them to be easy to understand, yet quite thorough.
on June 20, 2008
I love this book, because although it was designed for a younger reader (only about 160 pgs. with larger print and simple dialogue) it does not omit any goat raising information. Instead it presents even tougher concepts in goat raising in a simple and easy to read format - helpful for both younger AND (some of us) older readers! I read the whole thing in the matter of an afternoon, but came away feeling satisfied that this book answered my questions. The book is well organized, easy to understand, very informative, and even has pictures! A great buy for anyone interested in learning more about raising goats!
on September 15, 2013
I gave this book to my grandchildren for Christmas. They now have four happy healthy goats. I think this book is helpfully to them.