Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 72 reviews
on March 22, 2014
This book is organized in alphabetical order by movie title. There is no over-arching description of how the bad movies relate to each other, which is too bad because although a snarky review of a bad movie is fun, reading a whole bunch of the reviews one after the other is like eating a whole box of chocolate - taste great but you get a stomach ache from too much of a good thing.

You may disagree with Ebert on how bad a movie is. (Is this really a hard science fiction movie where the bad science is a killer or is it almost a spoof of science fiction?) But he is articulate and explains why he feels it's a bad movie. And he can be a bit snarky when called for.

If nothing else this will be a list to check before getting a movie to see if I should be worried that I'm getting ready to waste two hours watching what an expert calls a really bad movie.
on April 14, 2013
This book collects reviews from a fairly limited time period. Some forgotten (Alex & Emma) and some classics of terrible cinema (Battlefield Earth) are included.

Reading anything by Roger Ebert is going to be enjoyable and these reviews are no exception. I enjoy his writing on classics (The Great Movies), but honestly enjoy his negative reviews more. They're witty and insightful and they're motivated by a true love of the movies rather than just an desire to be nasty for the sake of it. Some of the pieces collected here go beyond bad reviews to outline a larger theory of what movies could represent in our lives (the reviews for "Chaos" and Wolf Creek are great examples of this). Also on display is his fundamental fairness -- after savaging the initial cut of The Brown Bunny and getting into a war of words with the direction, he actually reevaluated it after it was recut and gave it three stars (both reviews are included in this book).

This book is for both fans of movies and for fans of excellent reviews.
on January 18, 2016
Amazing book. There's nothing like reading Ebert's reviews for bad movies--they're sarcastic, they're witty, they're funny, and they're a very entertaining read. I definitely miss his writing style--there'll be no-one like him for criticising bad movies.
on December 28, 2012
If you enjoy Ebert's criticisms (I find them hilarious), you would probably enjoy this book. It contains some older movies, so I would recommend looking at the contents (if possible, I don't know offhand if you can look inside this book) to make sure it would be of interest. I read a lot of these critiques online and loved them, and am happy to get them all in one place, bound. But these critiques have been published online, so this information is not new.
VINE VOICEon September 3, 2007
Roger Ebert's reviews of bad movies are well worth reading, even if you've never seen the movie, and never want to see the movie that he's reviewing. His humorous zingers and well-aimed sarcastic strikes at awful movie-making are laugh-out-loud funny, and if you've been 'lucky' enough to sit through some of these awful movies you'll appreciate the reviews even more.

For example: I saw Fantastic Four and enjoyed it immensely. Roger didn't. Even though I wouldn't say I agree with his review, I do see his side of the review and recognize that what he says has merit.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was one of the most absurd movies I ever had the displeasure to sit through. My friend thought it was good. I was rolling on the floor (metaphorically, not literally) reading Ebert's review that totally backed up my opinion of the movie.

This is a great book to have around the house, but I don't think you should read it in one sitting.
on March 20, 2015
I would hate to have to see some of these movies! But I'm glad Roger did, and wrote about them so that I wouldn't have to waste my money. I checked through the book first, to read about the movies I'd already seen, then read everything. For the most part, he included movie garbage, but there are a few movies there I could sit though, just to see what on earth he was talking about!
on July 3, 2016
The late, great Roger Ebert's bad reviews are among some of the most entertaining he ever wrote in his lifetime. That isn't to say his good or great reviews aren't but the bad ones are written with so much wit, style, and flair you actually want to see some of these movies immediately after reading them, something very few critics inspire me to do.
on April 24, 2013
I have been a fan of Siskel and Ebert back when they were on PBS, and have always enjoyed their appearances on the old Late Night with David Letterman, and even their appearances on The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder. (Miss ya, Tom)

Oh sure, reading a well-written positive review is a good thing. Helps one learn how to identify a good movie.

However, reading a well-written negative review is Schadenfreudentastic. With Roger Ebert's reviews of terrible movies, you will learn how to identify a bad movie and how to express your disappointment in words.
on July 5, 2015
The open letter to Rob Schneider sets the tone for this highly amusing and enjoyable book. Ebert is not only one of the greatest movie reviewers of all time, but an immensely talented writer as well. He knows his stuff, and I agreed with nearly every rating he gave. I tore through it in just a couple of days because I couldn't put it down.
on November 2, 2013
Roger Ebert, may he rest in peace, had such a way with words in describing how he felt about his many movie-going experiences, and as evidenced by this book (as well as I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie and More Movies That Suck), his negative reviews were a blast to read, often providing a public service to keep people from enduring what he had to as a reviewer. Anyone who loved Ebert's reviews should get this book.