Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 14, 2014
When I started writing I thought I was doing a pretty good job of it. I bought software for screenplays and was on my way. How wrong can a person be. Well let me tell you I was way off course. Finally I had a review and was told that if I wanted to sell a screenplay I should buy this book titled "YOUR (MY) SCREENPLAY SUCKS", it will help me remove a lot of the bumps in my screenplay. So far the recommendation was correct. I have made numerous corrections that were never noted to me in reviews. I had no idea how far off base I was. For a writer, this book is a great road map to writing...............David
on May 22, 2016
Our eclectic Nebraska Writers Workshop that meets weekly used this book for short pithy presentations in the Scripting sessions throughout 2015. My latest two screenplays being marketed by my manager benefited from several of the topics, especially at the revision stage. I gave this book as a graduation gift to my second teen accepted to the NYU Film School to enhance her cinematic storytelling.
on December 21, 2015
The author gives great writing advice in a funny, if not condescending way. But what do you expect from a book that exists for the purpose of telling you how much you suck at writing? I wouldn't recommend this as a gift for your ten year old. There are some innuendos that may be inappropriate for children, but are also used in a way to help the reader understand writing. The jokes may go over a child's head, therefore confusing them, and it's also quite a bit weighty, but it's perfect for a fully grown adult with an antagonistic sense of humor -- and it's certainly not overrated like, say, an unnamed book about rescuing felines.
on December 9, 2017
Excellent it has helped me edited my scripts more effectively, a great resource.
on June 23, 2015
Great book! Lots of good examples and good advice. Just when I thought I had my formatting down, my FADE IN: spacing was wrong. Not sure why Final Draft sets the HEADER spacing as 2 spaces by default. Needs to be one, according to Akers. Tough love that all aspiring screenwriters need to hear towards the end. Suck it up folks! Don't pick up that gun yet. But keep on writing because with this book and some good luck, you'll get closer to your goals. Five stars for content, minus one because of the small print. Should've gotten the Kindle edition.
on November 15, 2017
spot on
on October 3, 2011
I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE. If you are a working screenwriter, a wannabe screenwriter, or just a literate English speaker who enjoys movies, this is THE BOOK FOR YOU. It is packed with USEFUL advice and information that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

The book is very simple, digestible, and actually FUN TO READ. The author explains things clearly and concretely, and everything is easy to understand and remember. Mr. Akers' witty and humorous style is also an added bonus.

If you want to be a successful screenwriter, or if you simply want to learn more about how movies and stories are made, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY THIS BOOK. And if you want to be a good friend and family member to your loved-ones, buy this book for everyone on your Christmas list! It's a fun and fascinating read that always leaves you feeling like the smartest person at the cinema!
on December 11, 2014
I love this book. You can read it a bit at a time. There are clear suggestions and exercises on how to make your screenplay better. It doesn't make the process any less painful to keep ripping up your script, but it will make your script better, and help make you a better writer. You can be your first own script consultant.

Let go of your emotional attachment to your script, and use this book to help make sure you are telling the best story in the best way you can.
on July 11, 2016
You only need to read so many books on how to write screenplays before you realize that all it takes is the basic knowledge of formatting and a great story. The latter of which is most rare and of utter importance.

As for the book, it's good. Certainly provides many common mistakes and cliches.
on December 9, 2015
helped me some and gave direction, good for people in a writing duldrum. Some good advice. You can do it.