BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Your Wildest Dreams, Within Reason
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon April 26, 2013
I've tried and failed to finish this for years. It's one of those books that I saw and loved the idea of, yet it never really panned out in actual practice. I've no doubt that some will absolutely love the book to tatters. I'm just not one of them.

Part of this is that the stories all seem to think of themselves as far more clever than they actually are. I kept flipping through this because I'd find one or two things that were cute enough to give me hope that there were more funny or quirky stories in here, but to no avail. As soon as I started diving back in, I'd get incredibly bored and toss this book to the side in search of more entertaining fare.

The other part of this is because many of these stories are more entertaining viewed separately and sparsely. I keep trying to rationalize giving this a more positive review because I really, REALLY wanted to like this. Heck, once I'd gotten enough money saved, I eagerly rushed to purchase this. It just didn't deliver. You could argue that I could always read the book piece-meal, but that's sort of what I've been doing and I still didn't care for this.

If you've been looking to read this, I recommend either getting a used copy or going through the library unless you're very familiar with Sack's work and absolutely know you'll like this.
on February 7, 2011
This collection illustrates perfectly why I have been following Mike Sacks's humor for more than a decade now: he is a complete - and completely hilarious - original. Reading his work is like stepping through a door to a world that's been rotated one quarter-turn toward Absurd O'Clock. You recognize the features of the landscape, but the ground is constantly shifting. The people of this world have their own logic, and it's not your own. This is especially true of the piece that kicks off the book, "Whoops!" This is one of my favorite bits of humor writing, not only from Mike Sacks, but of all time.

What is perhaps most impressive is that, somehow, a visit to the World of Sacks highlights the absurdities inherent to our own, real world: office culture, relationship hiccups, communication misfires. I don't often laugh out loud at words on the page; when I do, it seems almost like magic. Mike Sacks is this kind of word magician, and Your Wildest Dreams, Within Reason is a virtuoso performance.
on February 9, 2015
Didn't enjoy at all! Cover excerpt got me to buy it, big disappointment. Not my kind of humor I guess.
on February 14, 2011
When I saw David Sedaris blurb on the cover, I figured Sacks must've gotten ahold of pictures of Sedaris doing something hetero in a park. But the famed humorist's "glowing remark" carries substance.

Your WIldest Dreams is hysterical-you will see yourself in its well-meaning, inept, deranged heroes like Rhon Penny (silent h), Mike the Talking Horse, and Jimmy Jam Johnson, classic rock DJ having a nervous breakdown. You will learn that philosopher Thomas Aquinas was "hung like a champ" and what you might do with someone you've just met at a hospital chapel. Your sobs and laughter will be indistinguishable.

In a million years, as archaeologists search for answers about the decline of the once mighty American white man, they shall find what they seek in Your Wildest Dreams.

I promise Sacks' jokes are funnier than mine.
on November 15, 2014
Not as funny or enjoyable as I was hoping.
on February 8, 2011
Having read Sacks' work online and in various magazines, I've been waiting for a collection like this. The individual pieces are impressive, but seeing a big chunk of them in one place, there's no denying that Sacks has few peers in the mysterious art of putting one word after another word to create something funny. I thoroughly enjoyed his book of interviews with humor writers and the amazing Sex: Our Bodies, Our Junk, but this is the pure, 100% Columbian, 190 proof Sacks. Hopefully, this is the book that makes him a hot topic of water cooler and dinner table conversation, at least around water coolers and dinner tables where really funny books are discussed.
on February 23, 2011
I've been a fan of Mike Sacks for a long time now and this book captures the best of his work over the last few years. A collection of essays, comics and even some Kama Sutra interpretations, it is laugh-out-loud funny. If you are like me, you will find yourself remembering a particular passage the next day and STILL laughing. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to this hilarious collection.
on May 19, 2012
Mike Sacks has a truly unique comic voice and with "Your Wildest Dreams Within Reason" he shares some of his funniest published pieces. It's the kind of book where you read a few short pieces, laugh out loud, get your comedy fix, then go about your day. It was the funniest book I read in 2011 (Please don't tell Tina Fey). Fans of absurdist comedy will love it.
on June 16, 2011
I'm a big fan of Mike Sack's already, so this is like a greatest hits of his published works. I highly recommend it if you like odd, smart humor. It's a fairly quick read too, but it has a lot of potential for be read again and again.

brainforthought.wordpress.com
on February 21, 2011
I just bought this book and I had it with me all weekend. I decided to visit my parents and the one time I was able to put it down I hear my Mom yell "Oh my God" which was soon followed by uncontrollable laughter. The conversation which followed was a little awkward but to hear my Mom laugh like that speaks highly of this book! I say this book is like good Barbeque because people from all walks of life will enjoy this one(hopefully you like Barbeque). This book is very funny and extremely creative. I would buy it again if I had to do it again.