Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on May 9, 2016
Shout out to all the Sports in American Society students looking to read this book!

I was assigned this book for a class of mine, and made it through the entire book in one night. Dr. Huizenga writes in a descriptive, easy to understand style that should keep the reader engaged. If you're into football, I think you'll like this. I'm a yoga teacher, and there were parts of this book that I almost skipped because I had no clue what was happening. Even still, I was drawn in by the drama of the medical care being given to the athletes.

I can't believe this wasn't talked about more, and am glad Dr. Huizenga was brave enough to tell his story. Don't go looking for deep, intellectual content in this book. Look for a raw story of what happened behind the scenes of an NFL football team, and that's exactly what you'll get.
on March 4, 2015
This is my favorite sports book and I'm NOT a fan of the Oakland Raiders. The author is an intelligent (Harvard Medical School) man who competed in Division I sports (wrestling at Michigan); qualities that greatly benefit the writing. It's a rare sideline and locker room look at what goes on with an NFL team, especially the injuries/medical aspect. Reading this book shines a lot of light on how management wants to win regardless of the human price paid and why the bodies and brains of so many NFL veterans end up in a junk heap.

This particular copy was inexpensive, shipped fast, and arrived in pristine shape. Great buy from a totally professional seller.
on December 20, 2013
This was a fascinating book, especially if you followed the Raiders in the 1980s and early 1990s when they were in LA. The author, the doctor of the Raiders, puts Al Davis and the Rosenthal, the orthopedist, in a bad light. But, although I am a Raider fan, it is hard to put Al Davis in a warm, fuzzy character. There are some sobering moments, but the humor of the pranks and characters on the Raiders made it very enjoyable and a very quick read.

The only tough chapter were the last two as the author gets on his soap box about steroids and drugs. We know how bad they are, so he should have saved me 20 minutes of my life.

Overall, a great book. I would recommend it to anyone who followed the Raiders and the NFL during that time. it is an easy read and goes by quickly. I was sort of saddened that the book was over.
on November 23, 2013
An AMAZING look behind the curtain into the medical care of athletes at the highest level. When Dr. Huizenga started to work with the Raiders, I think the role of the team physician for a professional athlete was very much in flux. In the past doctors were just friends with the owners, they often did not take the role seriously, and many players in many sports got poor quality care.

Doctors like Rob Huizenga changed that. And when he felt the raiders players were not getting good care from the team orthopod anymore, he walked away.

The only negative is that Dr. Rosenfeld, the team orthopedic surgeon is not able to provide his own side of the story. But its still a compelling read.

And yes, Al Davis is just a little bit crazy.
on August 30, 2017
Excellent condition. Great price.
on December 9, 2016
Bought this as a gift. It seems like a great book and I can't wait to give it this holiday :)
on January 20, 2016
The husband is a Steelers fan and still loves this book. Very interesting, worth the read.
on February 22, 2016
I have a new respect for professional football players.
on January 24, 2016
Great insight into the Riaders team andNFL in general
on October 9, 2015
Why did it take me more than 20 years to read this? Very enlightening!