Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Carcassonne Classic
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$63.99 - $497.97

on December 14, 2015
I purchased Carcassonne due to the raving reviews. My wife and I were anxious to find a game that could be played with just 2 players. We found Carcassonne definitely lived up to the hype! We enjoy playing this regularly. While most of the time I play this with only 2 players, we do have friends over and play it from time to time as well. I've played this with as many as 6 players (must have an expansion with another set of meeples to do this) and find it enjoyable with any number of people.

The River mini expansion is already included in this version of the game, but I don't find The River to provide a whole lot to the overall experience. We purchased the Carcassonne: Inns and Cathedrals expansion and use it almost every time we play, even when it's just the 2 of us. I would definitely recommend this expansion. I am eager to try out some of the other expansions as well. We did find that the expansion tile backs had a slight darker coloring from the standard game tiles and it made it very easy to determine which tiles you wanted to go for (if you could really use a tile that the expansion has but the Classic game didn't); so to combat that my wife made a very simple cloth bag that we place all of the tiles in (see attached picture - the bag even fits inside the game box). This prevents cheating and also makes it very easy to hand the bag of tiles to the next player to select rather than forcing them to reach over to wherever you've placed them on the floor. It also decreases the required floor space for the game. If you aren't crafty I'm sure you could use a paper bag from your local grocer.

if you're looking for a fun 2-5 player game (before expansions), look no further, Carcassonne is one that you'll enjoy for years to come.
review image
on April 7, 2014
On the surface, Carcassonne would appear to be a rather simple game: you lay tiles and place a piece on the corresponding zone you'd like to occupy. However, the trick is in the details. This game becomes increasingly engrossing and complex the larger the board gets.

I would definitely recommend combing through the instructions if it is your first time. Afterwards, establish rules on interpretation. Why? you may ask. There are a couple of details in the game which are not clearly drawn in the instructions (including the occupation of a particular zone with multiple pieces, especially with concerns to fields). These somewhat vague outlines will make your end-game tally a bit difficult if you do not lay the preferred interpretations beforehand. Don't be one of those "let's just play and learn along the way" types; it'll be a bigger headache for all in the end.

The addition of the river is really nice and adds an interesting strategic element towards building. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for alternatives to the popular board games in the market.
on June 13, 2014
great fun for adults who like to strategize, in the end i found the flaw in the game, you could literally win almost everytime by laying down a farmer (you'll understand what this means) first, and then making as many two tile cities as possible, usually you're farmer will be in the majority of the land, if you're scared of fighting or loosing your farmers territory, drop down 2 ppl.

this strategy works well to stop big cities as well, if you close off your opponents city and your farming, that's effectively 3 points for you, and you stop their expansion.

you'll be hated, and be called cheap, but heck, i'm also the type to shoot the moon with the slimmest of chances.
on July 2, 2014
This is our second Euro-style game after Settlers of Catan (which we love). You'll see comparisons of the two online, and comparison reviews on YouTube - and while one German style game may by default invite sizing up against another German style game, this is nothing like Catan so don't be fooled.

This game has no dice, the element of chance comes into play with how randomly you stack the tiles. There's definite strategy, though, once you're familiar with the scoring (which might take a few games).

It's all about when to farm, balanced with how many castles to build in your field(s) - and if you want to get competitive you can start horning in on your opponents fields, which ratchets up the fun. Expansion packs give players more than enough variation if you ever get bored with the basic Carcassonne game - including The Tower expansion which lets you get even more vindictive.

I'd give this game 4.8 out of 5. It's relatively low stress, and comparatively low competition in company with other games like Power Grid, but it's still a lot of fun and offers enough skill and chance to prevent you from getting bored. Also, the rules are easy to learn and it spreads out nice as an after dinner game with company, who'll pick it up in no time.
on April 21, 2015
A friend from college introduced this game to my fiancee and me. We love it. The best part about this game is that it can be enjoyed by just about anyone, from my 10-year-old cousin to my "39-year-old" (*wink wink*) grandmother. It has variable skill and playability. If you can do a puzzle, you can play Carcassonne. Taking it a step further, the strategy of planning the roads, fields, and castles while properly utilizing your meeples gives even experienced players a chance to always achieve a higher level of game-play.

The version I received came with "The River" expansion, which introduces a number of river tiles. The basic game-play remains the same, but it adds some diversity to the tile selection. Carcassonne has many other expansions that can be purchased. They each offer something unique and fun, but you need the Basic Game to use them. Start with this, if you love it, try out an expansion.
on December 25, 2014
This is my husband and I's favorite game! We play it alone and with friends.

It took me a long time to understand the scoring, playing with someone who knew the rules was very helpful!

We bring this to every game party, and it is always a hit. People have purchased the game immediately after the party for themselves.

My best friend called it "the castle game" for a long time and always asked to play it when she was in town. She even set aside an evening when bringing her boyfriend home to "meet the parents" to introduce him to this game! I purchased it for her this summer and she said they play it weekly and now they too bring the hit game to gaming parties!

We are all in our late twenties-early thirties, but we've played with 13 year olds to 70 year olds.

It is a lot of fun!

Do yourself, your friends and family a favor, and buy this game!!!!!
When you get used to it, it is actually pretty easy.... it takes luck and strategy to win!
on December 28, 2014
Got introduced to this game by a couple of work associates, and I was instantly hooked, so I decided to buy it to play with my kids. They both picked it up right away and like it too, although they don't have the same desire to play it that I do.

What's neat about it is that it requires you to really think about moves (almost like chess), but it's simple to learn, like checkers. Gets increasingly more interesting & challenging with more players.

Someone at work just bought the v2 of this game (just released). The pieces look better (more detail), but some of the roads don't quite line up, which is baffling since I'm guessing computers would be involved in making the pieces.
on January 2, 2014
This game is great for getting people into the European style games. This game is great for a couple reasons. First, you can play 2-5 people, which is versatile. Second, no one gets eliminated, so you don't have people sitting around waiting for the game to end. Third, you can definitely catch up on your last couple turns if you get good plays and a little help. Last, a lot of the points aren't counted until the end so you don't know if you have no chance, which makes it more exciting than games of attrition like monopoly or risk.

This specific copy of the game comes with the River expansion, which is great. It kind of opens up the beginning of the game and makes it more strategic. I'd buy this version over any other base set.
on May 22, 2014
I play a lot of board games, and trust me when I tell you- this is a great one! I was somewhat skeptical at first, because I was not overly impressed with the concept and art. However, I had heard great things about Carcassonne, so I decided to give it a shot and order it. I'm glad I did. This is a super fun tile placement game that is perfect when you want to get a fun game of strategy in, but don't have a ton of time. It plays GREAT with two people (I haven't had the chance to play it with more, but I'm sure it retains the fun factor), and it's become a wonderful addition to our collection of games. The components are also quality built, with excellent tiles (and the artwork grew on me) and some heavy duty meeples (the wooden figures representing people). You always feel like you're "still in it" when you're playing this game, because huge point swings could occur at any time, should you manage to complete that city or road you've been steadily building.

We're not entirely sure how to pronounce the title of this game, so we just call it Car-ca-sony Macaroni (which is almost certainly more fun than the actual pronunciation).
on January 3, 2015
This is a simple but fun game that plays well with 2 players, as well as 3-4. Building cities and roads is pretty much all you're doing and it is not too difficult. Scoring can get a bit confusing with merging cities or with fields, which might rule out playing seriously with kids. But it's a good family game.

The basic game comes with the "river" expansion, which makes it more challenging and interesting. This is good, because the basic game had a fast burn-out rate for me. It got old really quickly. After 8-10 games, it was repetitive and dull. My wife and I played it and it quickly became a game where we didn't really care who won, we just wanted to finish it. I think the game will be much better with various expansions, which are plentiful and affordable.

I think young teenagers would do well with this game, but if you're thinking about buying it for adults, plan on eventually buying some of the expansions.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.