Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 270 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 303 reviews
on April 14, 2016
>>> Note! If you are purchasing this game for the first time, buy the original game with the ‘river expansion’ AND the abbot expansion. This particular box set only has the river expansion. It would be much more economical to get the one with the river AND abbot, which I do not believe adds a whole lot of cost.

What a fun new game I have discovered. I thought I had completely lost touch with board games until I happened upon this game in a coffee shop and watched a few friends play. One of my big issues with board games is that they can be such a commitment. I used to love to play Settlers of Catan, but the game can go on forever. Just the thought of Monopoly bores me to tears. I remember playing so many games and wishing they were over.

The beauty of Carcassonne is that, not only is it fun, but each game lasts ~15-30 minutes and there is very little set-up or clean-up involved. You can teach someone to play on the fly. If you are learning for the first time with someone else, it is easy to pick up the rules.

You will likely enjoy the fun and simplicity of this game if you like Settlers of Catan and Civilization. It is similar in content and goals, but much less cutthroat and invites friendlier gameplay without the worry that your best friends will become your dire enemy. It’s pretty hard for this game to cause a fight unlike other world-domination type strategy games.

Another great aspect of the game is that you can pretty much customize the difficulty. You can play by drawing random tiles, building the map by chance. For strategy, you can play where each person has three tiles at a time that they can play. This allows for more strategy and adds some logical challenge.

I do like the meeples, but sometimes I wonder that they are too big for the board pieces. Sometimes it’s hard to see where exactly a meeple is place, e.g., on a road or in a city, because they are large and cover up the game tiles. If you bump the table, the meeples may shift and you can have a disaster on your hands. Sometimes we end up counting meeples at the end and find one that we can’t quite identify, so someone loses a few points.

Regarding quality, the tiles are well made out of solid industrial cardboard. They are thick with few imperfections and seem virtually indestructible. They have a satisfying texture and it feels great to “click” them down on the table as you watch your map grow.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the game!
review image
on December 14, 2015
I purchased Carcassonne due to the raving reviews. My wife and I were anxious to find a game that could be played with just 2 players. We found Carcassonne definitely lived up to the hype! We enjoy playing this regularly. While most of the time I play this with only 2 players, we do have friends over and play it from time to time as well. I've played this with as many as 6 players (must have an expansion with another set of meeples to do this) and find it enjoyable with any number of people.

The River mini expansion is already included in this version of the game, but I don't find The River to provide a whole lot to the overall experience. We purchased the Carcassonne: Inns and Cathedrals expansion and use it almost every time we play, even when it's just the 2 of us. I would definitely recommend this expansion. I am eager to try out some of the other expansions as well. We did find that the expansion tile backs had a slight darker coloring from the standard game tiles and it made it very easy to determine which tiles you wanted to go for (if you could really use a tile that the expansion has but the Classic game didn't); so to combat that my wife made a very simple cloth bag that we place all of the tiles in (see attached picture - the bag even fits inside the game box). This prevents cheating and also makes it very easy to hand the bag of tiles to the next player to select rather than forcing them to reach over to wherever you've placed them on the floor. It also decreases the required floor space for the game. If you aren't crafty I'm sure you could use a paper bag from your local grocer.

if you're looking for a fun 2-5 player game (before expansions), look no further, Carcassonne is one that you'll enjoy for years to come.
review image
on March 6, 2013
I was in the market for some good games that can be played with 2 players. We enjoy playing games with friends, but if we're going to be honest, the majority of our game time at home is between my wife and I. I did my research on boardgamegeek.com and asked around the Tabletop Community on Google+, and this game was recommended every time.

I just got it last week, and we already love it. The game seems a little complex at first, (wait, how do I score this guy?), but as you pick it up, it's really simple to play. I'd heard some reviewers say that if you love Settlers of Catan, you'll love this game. That worried me because my wife is NOT a Settlers fan, but she loves Carcassonne now. We've played almost every day since I picked it up.

The addition of the River expansion in the box is great. After the first couple of games, we added it into our game and have played with it every time since. Plus, I'm not sure if it's something I would have paid for separately, so it feels like a nice bonus in the box.

The tiles feel of good quality, and wooden followers are great too. My biggest concern with them is that my 1 year old may run off with one at one point. My only complaint about the game is that in our box, the slot for the tiles is just slightly too short for all the tiles, which means you have to stuff it into the side where it sticks up slightly. It's not the end of the world (and not enough to deduct a star for), I'm just the type of person who hates when something doesn't fit the way it should.

We're excited to try this game out with more than just the two of us, and I'm sure the dynamic will change in that case, but for now, this will sit on the shelf of our most played games next to Dominion and Ticket to Ride Europe.
77 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2014
This is a very easy to understand game with well written instructions that includes very helpful illustrations. A game is completed in around 30 minutes and is easy to setup and put away. It involves placing random tiles in a manner that allows you to score points based on placing your meeples on different land masses or structures. The scoring is simple and easy. It plays wonderfully with only two people but also scales well as the player count increases.

There are numerous expansions that can be purchased for reasonable prices that expand the types and quantities of tiles to be placed to introduce new strategies and concepts into the game. It should be noted that this game includes the rivers expansion in the box.

This should be one of the first games that anyone interested in getting into board games should purchase. I hold this game in very high regard for new gamers along with games like Ticket To Ride or Settlers Of Catan. These are modern classic games that you will still pull off the shelf even as your game collection expands.
on April 7, 2014
On the surface, Carcassonne would appear to be a rather simple game: you lay tiles and place a piece on the corresponding zone you'd like to occupy. However, the trick is in the details. This game becomes increasingly engrossing and complex the larger the board gets.

I would definitely recommend combing through the instructions if it is your first time. Afterwards, establish rules on interpretation. Why? you may ask. There are a couple of details in the game which are not clearly drawn in the instructions (including the occupation of a particular zone with multiple pieces, especially with concerns to fields). These somewhat vague outlines will make your end-game tally a bit difficult if you do not lay the preferred interpretations beforehand. Don't be one of those "let's just play and learn along the way" types; it'll be a bigger headache for all in the end.

The addition of the river is really nice and adds an interesting strategic element towards building. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for alternatives to the popular board games in the market.
on June 13, 2014
great fun for adults who like to strategize, in the end i found the flaw in the game, you could literally win almost everytime by laying down a farmer (you'll understand what this means) first, and then making as many two tile cities as possible, usually you're farmer will be in the majority of the land, if you're scared of fighting or loosing your farmers territory, drop down 2 ppl.

this strategy works well to stop big cities as well, if you close off your opponents city and your farming, that's effectively 3 points for you, and you stop their expansion.

you'll be hated, and be called cheap, but heck, i'm also the type to shoot the moon with the slimmest of chances.
on July 2, 2014
This is our second Euro-style game after Settlers of Catan (which we love). You'll see comparisons of the two online, and comparison reviews on YouTube - and while one German style game may by default invite sizing up against another German style game, this is nothing like Catan so don't be fooled.

This game has no dice, the element of chance comes into play with how randomly you stack the tiles. There's definite strategy, though, once you're familiar with the scoring (which might take a few games).

It's all about when to farm, balanced with how many castles to build in your field(s) - and if you want to get competitive you can start horning in on your opponents fields, which ratchets up the fun. Expansion packs give players more than enough variation if you ever get bored with the basic Carcassonne game - including The Tower expansion which lets you get even more vindictive.

I'd give this game 4.8 out of 5. It's relatively low stress, and comparatively low competition in company with other games like Power Grid, but it's still a lot of fun and offers enough skill and chance to prevent you from getting bored. Also, the rules are easy to learn and it spreads out nice as an after dinner game with company, who'll pick it up in no time.
on April 21, 2015
A friend from college introduced this game to my fiancee and me. We love it. The best part about this game is that it can be enjoyed by just about anyone, from my 10-year-old cousin to my "39-year-old" (*wink wink*) grandmother. It has variable skill and playability. If you can do a puzzle, you can play Carcassonne. Taking it a step further, the strategy of planning the roads, fields, and castles while properly utilizing your meeples gives even experienced players a chance to always achieve a higher level of game-play.

The version I received came with "The River" expansion, which introduces a number of river tiles. The basic game-play remains the same, but it adds some diversity to the tile selection. Carcassonne has many other expansions that can be purchased. They each offer something unique and fun, but you need the Basic Game to use them. Start with this, if you love it, try out an expansion.
on December 25, 2014
This is my husband and I's favorite game! We play it alone and with friends.

It took me a long time to understand the scoring, playing with someone who knew the rules was very helpful!

We bring this to every game party, and it is always a hit. People have purchased the game immediately after the party for themselves.

My best friend called it "the castle game" for a long time and always asked to play it when she was in town. She even set aside an evening when bringing her boyfriend home to "meet the parents" to introduce him to this game! I purchased it for her this summer and she said they play it weekly and now they too bring the hit game to gaming parties!

We are all in our late twenties-early thirties, but we've played with 13 year olds to 70 year olds.

It is a lot of fun!

Do yourself, your friends and family a favor, and buy this game!!!!!
When you get used to it, it is actually pretty easy.... it takes luck and strategy to win!
on December 28, 2014
Got introduced to this game by a couple of work associates, and I was instantly hooked, so I decided to buy it to play with my kids. They both picked it up right away and like it too, although they don't have the same desire to play it that I do.

What's neat about it is that it requires you to really think about moves (almost like chess), but it's simple to learn, like checkers. Gets increasingly more interesting & challenging with more players.

Someone at work just bought the v2 of this game (just released). The pieces look better (more detail), but some of the roads don't quite line up, which is baffling since I'm guessing computers would be involved in making the pieces.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.