Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,844 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,128 reviews
on October 27, 2016
My wife and I have gradually gotten more into board games, because we're old and lame and that's ok. She's a bit ... competitive, however, so even playing a game like Settlers can put me on the edge of the seat a little bit if I'm winning. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Board games kept popping up in my Amazon recommendations, and I kept seeing this one (nice work, Amazon ad algorythms). Cooperative? Sounds good!

There went that Sunday. I even stopped watching football, BECAUSE CHILDREN ARE DYING IN ISTANBUL OR CONSTANTINOPLE. We played several games. We lost our first few, then kept winning. Our kids were annoying us with petty stuff like, "Daddy, I'm hungry" and "Mommy, my toe fell off" but sometimes you just have to tell your kids that now isn't a good time, because Daddy is building a research center and then has to fly to meet Mommy in Milan, and there is leftover ham in the refrigerator.

I do question whether the game will keep its challenge. We've won our only two games on the hardest difficulty, but it felt suspenseful and like we could have lost, so I think it'll still be fun to play. Regardless, we've already gotten our money's worth out of this game. I think my daughter (six) will be able to learn it now or shortly as well, which will be cool and we can monitor her toe situation better.
88 comments| 629 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
this game is becoming a game night favorite. it is so hard on normal difficulty, or maybe we just aren't great. haha. but i think we've played about 6 times and won twice. the last couple games we were one or two disease cures away from winning and would hit an epidemic card that would screw us over and run us out of blocks or flip an infection card that would cause a chain reaction of outbreaks and kill us that way. all that work for nothing right at the end! oh well, it's a blast and we have a good time strategizing. definitely worth it and looking forward to the expansions.
on September 23, 2015
I got this game to give my wife and I something to play cooperatively rather than competitively. Everyone plays on the same side - you either all win or all lose. To that end, it's awesomely different.

Quality:

My wife was skeptical based on the product images she saw. When it arrived, however, we were blown away by the quality. The colors are fantastic and the set pieces are well machined. The disease cubes look so good they almost look like shiny candies on your game board. The board is solid. The cards are not flimsy. The game box provides sufficient protection and is thick enough to protect everything inside. Fantastic.

Play:

There is a lot of variety to this game. The inclusion of multiple roles, which you assign at random, creates a variety of play styles and strategy.

The game also supports three difficulty modes (represented by the quantity of certain cards you mix into the deck). Once you get the hang of the rules, it's fairly easy on the lowest difficulty level (until you get the hang of all the ways you can lose, however, you'll find that you'll only win about 75% of the time). Ratcheting up the difficulty satisfyingly makes the game more challenging. It's not a given that you'll win, which makes it more appealing for replayability.

Maxing out the number of players also makes the game more difficult, because you have less rounds by which to complete your objectives and win the game.

Fun:

I've played this game with family and friends, and everyone immediately wants to play another round. That's partly because it really takes playing a round to get the hang of the rules, but mostly because it is really different from the normal game. The cooperative aspect allows for a lot of group discussion, strategy, what-if scenarios, and so on. As soon as you've seen it in action - win or lose - you'll want to play again just to see what happens if different decisions are made or different roles are selected.

Long-term, I'm still addicted to this game. My wife no longer is, and only feels like playing it every once in a while. It's still a welcome break from Settlers of Catan, which has been the game that I typically measure of my games against.

Ease of play:

There are a lot of rules to this game, which feels kind of overwhelming when you first play it. You absolutely do have to play at least a round to get the hang of the rules. Once you do, however, they don't feel all that bad at all. I've actually played this game successfully with younger children (since it is cooperative, you can do most of the thinking for them, yet still make them feel like they contributed and made decisions). At least one of my friends has purchase the game for himself and his kids after playing with me.

Summary:

Overall, this game is different. The cooperative element alone is worth the price of admission. Stay for the fun and the challenge. And the build quality makes it feel like it will last a long time in your possession.
on July 7, 2017
This game is a super fun easy to learn co-op game. It will keep you on the edge of your seat! Highly recommend for new gamers and experienced gamers. It's one of those games you will want to play again and again because chances are you will spend a lot of time losing to the game. Still really fun and challenging though!
on July 17, 2017
The game itself is interesting and fun. There are plenty of reviews on the game itself but mine is about the manufacturing. The maker of the game could have made the board and pieces with greater care. The board had several scratches, probably acquired during packaging. The cubes that represent the diseases are cut unevenly, with white pieces of plastic sticking out of them and that makes them hard to stack. There were ten extra red cubes, which made the game easier. The box and the cards are made beautifully though.
on March 23, 2017
Such a great game! I brought it home when I visited for Christmas, thinking a cooperative game would reduce the number of board game related fights. While it wasn't a completely argument free experience, it was very well received by everyone from the teenagers to my parents. There's a bit of a learning curve, but the cooperative elements make it easy to learn as you play. I like the fact that it has a pretty fast gameplay, it's a lot easier to convince people to play a game when they know it won't take the whole afternoon.
on March 20, 2017
This was my first time playing a cooperative game and it was very fun! We lost on the easiest level the first time we played but won the second time, and since it can also be made more or less challenging, I think the difficulty is just right. The game is very suspenseful especially if you randomly mix all the epidemic cards into the stack and you never know when an epidemic might appear and possibly cause an outbreak (or two!) we were definitely on the edge of our seats during some parts of the game! There are a few different ways to lose, having too many outbreaks, running out of disease cubes, or running out of cards. We seem to have the most trouble with running out of cards and it seems to go better when we focus on cures and less on treating/eradicating disease.

Each player gets a special role during the game, these roles are super helpful so playing with more people can be easier.
I was expecting it to go into real diseases, but there are just "disease cubes" so no medical knowledge is needed.
The board and all the pieces are made well and look nice. I also love ticket to ride and settlers of catan and have enjoyed trying to figure out the strategies in this game too! Highly recommended!
on August 14, 2017
I was a bit skeptical when I bought it, received it, inboxed it, and even when I watched the video that explains how to set up the game,....
BUT this game is very interesting and also challenging. Playing it with 2 players (your partner) will bring you lots of fun and strategic thinking. You have to play it at least twice to feel comfortable and really understand the rules. Don't give up when unboxing and watching the video tutorial. You would otherwise regret it
on May 19, 2017
This game is brutal, but fun. I highly recommend buying it.

My only complaints are that the roles can completely change the game from being way too hard to way too easy depending on what combinations you have. Also, the time limit is also very tight, a lot of times you can lose the game because you ran out of time even if the diseases were under control. I'm not sure why the time limit is so artificially tight, but I guess it does add to the stress level.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 13, 2016
We've had this game a little over a year. Our family plays a lot of similar games like Dominion, Settlers of Catan, etc. This is good to occasionally pull out for a Sunday afternoon with the family and everyone likes it, but it hasn't become one of our "addictive" favorites.

I would still highly recommend this. It's a good game, well made and well thought out. But it just doesn't pull us in quite as much as some of our other games. As a parent I very much like the fact that this is less competitive than other games, but that also seems to take a bit of the excitement out of it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.