Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on July 30, 2015
I purchased the Zeikos battery pack for a Nikon D600 while I was traveling. I had left the camera's recharger at home, and buying another recharger was more expensive and unneeded after the trip. The Zeikos power grip appealed to me because it was less expensive than a charger and could be used with 6 AA batteries that are readily available while I was on vacation. The Zeikos was also much less expensive than the Nikon battery grip that is available for the Nikon D600/610.

The unit was delivered to the hotel where I was staying on time and as expected. Packaging consisted of branded box and internally contained the main grip in plastic with a silica dry bag and then enclosed with bubble wrap; the AA battery tray was inserted in the grip. A separate bag contained the EN-EL15 tray, which holds two rechargeable batteries.

The grip has a rubber coating, wheel to turn hold the grip to the tripod mount on the D600 body, a pin to keep the grip from rotating and controls for a vertical shutter release (with a concentric on/off switch for the shutter release), AE/AF hold button and joy stick to control some functions. Installation of the grip on the body required removing a rubber contact cover on the bottom of the D600 body and a plastic protector over the connector on the grip. I installed 6AA batteries in the tray, inserted it into the grip and then attached the grip to the body. The camera battery sensor showed a "full charge". I've been using the grip on my camera for a few days and am pleased.

The grip adds weight and bulk to the camera body, but the grip feels rugged and consistent with the camera body's grip. I did not over tighten the wheel on the grip which turns the screw connected to the tripod mount. Overall, I was pleased and would buy the grip again. The quality is good, and the grip works as I expected/wanted.

Attached are a few photos of the grip on the D600, as well as the packaging, and AA battery tray.
---------------------------------------
8/7/2015: Revised from 5 stars to 1

This really showed promise, and I was very pleased. However, after an initial 36 hours of good experience with the grip in light shooting, it stopped working so I am returning it. There appears to be some issue with the electrical contacts between the grip and the camera body. After shooting with it for a few minutes, the camera body seems to lose contact with the grip, so the extended battery (I was using the AA battery tray) and shutter release on the grip no longer function. Removing the grip and re-seating it intermittently allows the camera to recognize the grip for a short while but then the battery indicator drops back down and the shutter release on the grip stops working.

It's possible I just got a bad unit, but some other reviewers seem to have similar issues so rather than exchange it, I decided to just return it. Oh well...
4 people found this helpful
on October 22, 2015
Got mine for the d7100 and mistakenly I thought that it would be of similar build/functionality like a battery grip I have for my d5200( allowing two batteries to be placed in the grip); it is not.

I am not dissatisfied with the product, nor do I think that the seller/manufacturer mislead me into thinking this - it was simply my own mistake. And after further research, I discovered that most/all grips for the d7100 are made this way.

So keep in mind, if you're buying this for your Nikon d7100 and you prefer your battery grip holstering both your EN-EL 15 Li-Ion batteries, it does not. One is keep in the battery chamber in the camera, and one in the grip.

Update:

I am not quite sure what it is but the battery grip registers up in the menu of the camera perfectly fine but i see constant drains on the body battery rather than the battery grip's. After some research, I've read that some people experience this problem( across the board with all battery grips, even Nikon and Canon's).

This might be a return for me, but I'll give customer service a call and see what can be done
review image
4 people found this helpful
on December 1, 2017
Honestly worked great for the first few months. But then the screws holding the main base together began to come loose. So I tightened them back up, but then they came loose again. After doing some work, I realized that they were just stripped from small wobbling in normal use. Now I've never dropped this thing and always kept it safe in my bag during transit. The base is plastic with metal screws. So obviously they chewed through the threads.

Works fine, but an unfortunate design flaw. Now the camera powers off if the base shifts a bit. Terrible for the normal use of the camera. Now I have some corrupted shots that can never be opened because the camera shut down mid take/image capture.
on July 17, 2017
Not sure why the grip drained both batteries over the weekend as i charged the batteries on a Fri, had a shoot get cancelled for the weekend and didnt end up using it and mid week when i went to take some pics around the house, both batteries were totally drained.
Its not a battery issue, ive eliminated that as a possibility.
The camera was set all the way to the off position yet the grip drained them entirely!
As far as build construction goes, it feels just as well-built as the original Canon grip i used to have on there.
Based on how ridiculous the power management was, i wish i wouldnt have bought it but am now outside the return window so i get to keep this expensive paperweight.
on November 6, 2016
Bought this 2 1/2 years ago and have loved it ever since. I put two 2000mah wasabi batteries in this thing and shoot until my finger hurts. If I ever need another I'm coming back right here. Much more bang for the buck than the OEM solution.

UPDATE:
I bought this thing on May 28th 2013, wrote a review 2 ½ years later and here it is 21 Dec 2017 and I just received the new one in the mail. Yes I finally broke the first one.

I’ve been reading reviews and wonder why so many negative reviews from people calling themselves “professional”? This is enthusiast equipment *not* professional equipment. If you need professional quality and you’re looking here you are cheap not professional.

I am not a professional, I just like playing with the camera and seeing the results. After 13,963 pictures I broke the connector piece that slides into the camera. Sure I would like if it were built to a virtually indestructible standard, but I don’t want to spend that much.

My best advice to make this thing last longer is put it in the camera and leave it. Putting it on and taking it off is what broke mine (see image).
The new one took the existing batteries and slid right in, and if this one will last another 13,963 pictures I’ll be OK with that because nothing lasts forever and by then I’ll need a new camera.
review image
|0Comment|Report abuse
I have had this grip installed full time on my Canon 7D for 5 years, and it has never failed me. All controls and interactions with the camera have worked flawlessly. I'm very happy with it.

The only "issue" that I have had with it has been the internal locks that retain the batteries in the grip are not very good. They don't have enough spring strength, or their plastic is too soft and warps, to reliably hold the batteries in place when inserted. Both retaining clips are this way. Now, having said all that, once the battery door is closed I have had no issue with any failures. The battery door lock up is very secure, and after 5 years of use it has never given me a worry. So, the grip has earned all 5 stars.
on November 4, 2016
The box was previously opened and resealed with a scotch tape. I had my suspicions if the item was previously used and upon opening the box, the packaging or lack of seems to indicate such. I would have kept it nevertheless, but the clasp to open and close the unit was loose and would not sit flushed in place. It kept swinging out and I wasn't about to use tape to keep it in place, especially an item I purchased "new." Regardless, this is a weak point for the design. I'm not sure if other third party manufacturer's grip is similar, but I opted to return the item the same day I received it. Another possible problem is with the base plate. It's plastic while the original Canon has a metal shank that runs the length of the base. If using Rapid slings which connects to the base, I'm not sure if the plastic base is secure enough. I understand the Vello Grip is metal and about $40 more expensive, but still far cheaper than the Canon's. For the price paid, you get what you paid for.

****Upate**** Nov 6, 2016

Upon returning the Zeikos grip, I purchased and received the Vello Grip for the 6D. The Vello grip has a metal base plate which you can see running the length of the grip when the battery compartment door is open. I ran my initial few day with the Vello model and satisfied.
on September 1, 2016
Why did I wait so long to review this? Because I wanted long lasting durability and you don't know that straight out of the box.

Then, over time, I forgot about writing a review.

So here we are nearly two years later and this battery grip has been everywhere under all manner of typical photography conditions including the time it rained at a wedding and another time when some enthusiastic kids went running past the tripod and knocked it over, camera, battery grip, and lens hitting the floor.

I would never recommend putting a battery grip or camera through the punishing conditions that have befallen us over the course of nearly two years. The bright point to all of this is, our Zeikos battery grip for our Canon 60D still works great!
on May 19, 2017
I received my Zeikos grip for the D750. First of all the good stuff. It fits fine. I used it with my heavy lenses the 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 to see if there would be any wobble. No worries. The feeling of it is sturdy. Of course its not as good as the original grip, but I think its fine.

The bad:

-Wheels don't work well when using them quickly. Example: I wanted to go from F/16 down to f/2.8. I went down as I normally did but the wheel would go back and forth on the aperture. It would go from f/16 - f/14 - f/16 - f/14 - f/13- f/14 - f/13.. etc etc. Never happens with my official grips or wheels on camera.

-The biggest let down is that it somehow makes a shadow on the image sensor. When testing it out with the 24-70mm I noticed it made shadow in all the photos. See for yourself in the photos. I updated my firmware thinking it might have been something to do with it. Nope. I tried all my lenses from manual focus AI-S to D lenses, G lenses: they all produced the shadow. I even tried in Live View. The shadow was there. When I removed the Zeikos grip, the shadow was gone. While in live view, I removed the grip, and the shadow was still there. After turning of the camera, the shadow was gone. I don't know what is causing it, but I am certain it is the grip. Almost forgot to mention, that I'm using authentic En-EL15 batteries. If you use the grip without the battery, it works fine! But whats the point in that? We buy the grip for that extra battery compartment. There must be some electrical issue that grip is causing with the camera. It might end up damaging the camera itself. This is why I cannot recommend the Zeikos grip, not even for amateur use.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on November 16, 2014
Due to much discussion on here about which brand your actually getting and how they compare to the Nikon grip i thought i would add one more point for Team "SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY THIS INSTEAD" lol .Really though, i just got the Zeikos grip in a Zeikos box in the mail after not being sure what type of product would actually come. (some of the reviews said they received a Meike instead of Neewer or whatever the other grips at comparable prices are. Since i wanted to save money but was willing to spend up to $100, which i think is the max reasonable price for the features it provides, unless your one of those guys who has gotten so used to their grip they feel like they cant shoot a portrait without it. There's also the guy who has to have all the top of the line and nikon gear while achieving the same or worse results because he believes that the equipment alone will make his photos better. Still gotta be an artist buddy. The newest brush ain't gonna make you Picasso either.
The Grip is Fantastic. The paint on it matches the splatter effect that you can see when looking closely at a Nikon body and the grip on it feels slightly softer then the one on the Nikon, something i prefer for better, well, grip. It feel solid and well connected to my camera. I wouldnt necessarly hang a 19 pound 150-500 on it and then attach the camera to the tripod. But that what the rings on the lenses are for so unless you are that dumb, it will secure hold onto the camera on a trip pod with anything up to a 80-200 ( a newer one that isnt super heavy. But any normal lens will hold fine on here and i feel save using it for this application BUT part of the reason for the grip is the hand held usage so if you really need to feel a little safe, you can always remove it when attaching a tripod. I'm just being realistic, i would say the same about the Nikon grip. The Grip area is flush with that of the camera making a nice right angle and it fits perfect into the groves along the bottom of the camera's sides. It feels just like the nikon one to be honest. The other discussion i saw on here was about the sturdiness of the batter pack. It feels fine to me. Any insert like this is more secure with the battery's in it, so that's what i do. i wouldn't necesarrily throw the empty cartridge around because yes, the small plastic/flexible parts could break if pressure was applied to hard or it was dropped but once the batteries are in it feels safe enough to throw in my camera bag without any worries. Actually less knowing i got it ready to slide in during a shoot.
I was hesitant and read reviews over a 3 day period. BUT If you want all the function of the Nikon model but don't want to spend the $350 to get one BUY THIS ... its amazingly similar and just like with make things in life, at one point the aftermarket catches up to what the branded one was just a few years ago and in this case they have made a quality product for 1/10th the price. I ended up buying the 42 dollar zeikos over the 32 dollar meike or neewer cause i figured 10 extra bucks wouldn't kill me and i'm happy i did. Even though i haven't seen the 2 other popular aftermarket, i can def say that it was a steal and i have none of the complaints others have!

Cons:
The wheels take a little getting used to because they sort of click each turn, not in a bad way just not quite as solid as the on camera dials, but i felt that on the real one as well. No biggie.
Its too much like the real one that people might think I'm a snob who buys all this expensive s*** for no reason.

Pros
Its just like the real deal.
Cheap.