Industrial Deals HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $1.99 Action and Adventure Rentals for Prime Members $1.99 Action and Adventure Rentals for Prime Members $1.99 Action and Adventure Rentals for Prime Members  Echo Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on July 20, 2012
I was looking for an ultra wide angle lens for landscape photography on my Canon 7D. Luckily, I happened across this little gem on Amazon. It's cheaper, lighter and more compact than a dedicated lens, but is it worth buying?

Below is a list of PROS, CONS and TIPS about this lens adapter. Hopefully this review helps you decide.

* No Vignetting - On my Canon EF 28mm F/1.8 USM prime lens, I have zero vignetting. This was my number one concern when I rolled the dice and purchased the .45x. According to most reviewers on these adapters, anything zoomed higher than 21mm is vignette free.
* Macro - half of the assembly is a macro lens. This lens can be used with out the wide angle part.
* Compact Size - small enough to easily stow in my camera bag.
* Light Weight - lighter than say the "built like a tank" Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 I used to own.
* Lens Coating - there appears to be an anti-reflective or anti-glare coating on it. I have not experienced any uncontrollable flares. It may or may not hold up against scratches, but I plan on babying it like the rest of my lenses.
* Threading - the wide angle piece has a 62mm outer threading so you will be able to use a lens cap or filters with it. (ND, Polarized, UV, etc..). I suppose you could use a regular 58mm filter if you screwed it on the lens before screwing in the Zeikos .45x. this would sandwich it in between the lens and the adapter. But, more glass means degraded image quality.
* No Light Loss - unlike using macro extension tubes, this filter will not rob your camera of light.
* Auto Focus Works - the auto focus on my lens does not seem to be effected at all.
* Very Little Distortion - closer objects will fisheye a little, but nothing worth worrying about. Landscape images barely show it, just mind where you place the horizon in the frame. And if it really bugs you, you can adjust the barreling in post.

* Lens Hood - no way to attach a lens hood. I just end up using my hand when needed.
* Soft Edges - if you shoot in larger apertures, the edges seem softer or out of focused compared to the middle.
* Actual Magnification - my math says this .45x adapter turns my 28mm f/1.8 lens into a 13mm. It clearly does not. My best guess would be a .6x magnification, which would make it a 17mm. BUT, the Canon 7D is a 1.6x crop, so in full frame terms, this really becomes a 27mm. AHHH! Whatever!!!! It's wider than what I could shoot before. So, I'm happy. :)

* Macro - Depth of field becomes even shallower on whatever lens you are using the Macro ring on, so if you are planning on shooting handheld, have a lot of light, a flash and a tripod available. It will make getting the shot a lot easier. Closing down your aperture to F/5.6 or more helps too.
* Soft Edges - I did some tests using a tripod, strobes and a test chart. Here's what I found: F/1.8 to 2.5 gave a creamy amount of blur on the outer edges of the image. F/2.8 to 4.5 were good enough. F/5.6 to 11 were sharp. F/16-22 are razor sharp.
* Chromatic Aberration (CA) - the better your lens, the less CA you will have. I shoot with prime lenses which generally have less glass elements than zoom lenses. This typically means less CA. Once you hit f/6.3 or higher, CA goes away.

With all that being said, is it worth the cost of a 4 Starbuck's coffees? Totally!!! If you are planning on using this for fun, travel or just whatever, you will be happily surprised. If you are a pro photographer in need of a tack sharp ultrawide, up your budget. I would recommend the Rokinon 14mm, Tokina 11-16mm or Canon 10-22mm.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. Hopefully they have helped your buying decision. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to write them in the comments section below. Cheers! :)
on November 23, 2014
I cannot believe the quality for the price. My Sony camera actually takes a 55mm diameter thread, so I had to use a step-up 55 to 58mm adaptor ring to use these, but they are superb for the price.

I first bought Neewar lenses and had to return them. Despite some really good reviews, both of mine had incredible scratches right in the centers of both lenses. Nothing else fitted my Sony camera, so I had to consider larger lenses and adaptor rings. I am really glad I did now. Both of the Zeikos lenses I bought were superb, I could see no aberrations on the pictures, both worked with autofocus and even the build quality was excellent. The photos I took with the wide angle lens was just as sharp as without it, Even the telephoto one only introduced minor blurriness, mainly at the edges of the pictures. Leave a little space at the edges of your pictures and crop them off and no one would ever notice.
on March 16, 2010
Okay, for only 11 bucks (plus shipping), what an incredible deal. Even the price is phenomenal. BUT, you need to know the pros/cons of this product.

1.)The build quality is great. Looks 15x more expensive than it is. Integrates well with camera.

2.)It's actually a set. This isn't at all clear from the description. You get a macro lens, and a wide angle converter. The two screw together to create a macro/wide angle converter combo. I'll discuss each one, below.

3.)The Macro Lens: Great. By itself, worth the price. Macros are used for close-ups, and it's all this is good for. Tried it against a much more expensive model in a camera store, saw no difference. Used it for a human eye close-up and some ladybugs, and it looked fantastic. Small and compact.

4.)The Wide Angle Converter: Useless. Kind of produces a weird distorted fish-eye effect, but the visual garbling/distortion is awful and unattractive. No idea if this is supposed to have any function on its own, but if so, then it fails at it.

5.)The Wide Angle Conveter/Macro Combo: Moderately useful. First, it's compact. Much more so than a "true" wide angle converter like those offered by Sony or Canon. It is barely wider than a 58mm barrel. It opens up the frame a bit ... maybe .9 to .85 ... not sure. It makes a difference, but don't expect to turn into David Lean

The problem is with zooming. At minimal to zero zooms, I saw no image problems, and it did its job well. At 5x+, color problems and distortions appeared. As you get close to 8x+, the lens became useless. So much distortion you could barely tell what you're looking at. So, basically, don't use this if you expect to zoom at all! But, for its pricepoint, if you know the limitations it's a great deal.
Ever since I picked up my Canon VIXIA HFS10 camcorder, I've wanted to add a wide angle lens converter. Of course, the macro converter that Canon sells (the WD-H58) is pretty expensive and since I wouldn't use it very often I couldn't justify the cost.

Then I noticed this Zeikos lens and thought at this price it was worth a try. I'm pretty happy with it.

First, it looks great on my camcorder. It doesn't look cheap, and matches the style and look of the Vixia HFS10 very nicely. It comes with a "fit on" cap for the Wide Angle end of the lens and a "screw on" cap for the attachment side.

It does what I was looking for, expanding a bit on the angle I can capture up close and extending the range of imagery that's in focus on a longer shot. The main thing I wanted was to be able to shoot a bit wider up close, since I sometimes use a green screen in my office and can't get my camera back very far from the screen. Though I was hoping it would go a bit wider than it does, this definitely helps.

I'm not exactly sure what the .45x means, since as far as I can tell (based on measuring the relative size of objects with and without the lens on) this really gives about .8x magnification. I assume it may have to do with the fact that what you really have here is a "Macro" lens + a .45 Wide Angle lens and the net effect is to give a .8 magnification. What I didn't know when I bought this is that the "Macro" component of the lens and the "Wide Angle" component are separable. With the "Macro" filter alone you can get VERY close to objects like flowers and insects - and you can ONLY focus on things that are very close (between an inch or so to about half a foot). If you wanted to fit only "Wide Angle" component onto the Vixia HFS10 you'd need another adapter. Anyhow, the roughly .8 magnification of the whole set up is not quite as wide as I'd hoped but it does mean there is pretty minimal curvature effects around the edge of the frame - if you look closely at the attached video you'll see there is SOME curvature at the edges, noticeable on the right and left hand sides when the converter is attached.

Anyhow, I wondered why Canon only sold a .7 converter when you could get an inexpensive .45 converter from another company - I assumed to begin with that was because .7 is as far as you can go without vignetting (change in light levels from the center to the periphery) or fisheye-like curvature, and so I worried a bit that this lens would show those effects. Luckily it doesn't show them to an unacceptable degree, but what my tests suggest is that this lens with its roughly .8 magnification is probably pretty close to what you actually get with Canon's own lens, and their numbers likely assess the "true" conversion rate of the lens as a whole, whereas the .45 only applies if you were to use only the "Wide Angle" portion of the lens. (If anyone knows more about this than I do I'd love to read about it in the comments.)

One thing that is probably evident from this footage is that with the lens on there seems to be a slight loss in the light levels. That's to be expected, but it's something you can compensate for in the settings. I can't compare this to Canon's own lens, but since I picked this up at less than 10% of the cost, and it does most of what I wanted from it, I'm not complaining.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 12, 2010
First thing's first - If you're on Amazon looking for a professional wide-angle lens, why are you looking at ones under $20? Now, if you're looking for a very-good, but inexpensive screw-on lens, then this is the place to be.

I was honestly surprised buy the build quality here. It's made very well, and I am hard-pressed to point out any failings in that regard. It feels rugged, and has proved to be so through my experiences with it. It's current use is on the front of a camcorder that travels to many hazardous environments filled with dust, moisture, and high/low temps outdoors. These conditions are perhaps some of the poorest you can bring any kind of electronic equipment into, so it provides a good ground for review.

First, the good:
As I previously stated, it is made very well. Having been bumped into more than a few things, I can testify that it will survive for the long haul.
It has also remained very secure in it's mounting threads, which is a nice thing. It's field of view is as advertised (0.45x) and gives a great wide-angle, without crossing over into the quasi-fisheye realm. Another nice feature is that it accepts the Zeikos filters, which are also pretty cheap, and work quite well. Additionally, the lens comes with a cap for both the front and rear. The front is a typical push-on kind, and the rear one screws onto the 58mm threads.

The bad:
One thing I have noticed is the tendency of it to create large lens-flares when hit with sunlight from certain angles. To me this is actually not a con, because I love how that looks on the footage. However, for someone filming say, a sports game, it may prove irritating. It was infrequent though, and easily corrected (if you wanted to) by simply moving the camera slightly.

In the end you're looking at a lens that's under $20, so you can't really be expecting any miracles. Considering the price though, I really couldn't recommend a better upgrade for a handheld camcorder.
on August 22, 2013
I was in Vegas recently and went to a camera shop to buy a battery...the guy there tried to sell me a lens like this one. He said it was regularly $649 and he would let me have it for $349 just because I bought a battery....I did not buy it of course but when I came home the first thing I did was get on Amazon and looked for the lens and almost flipped when I found one that was for less than $15 and read up on the lens and found it to be just what I wanted... Plus I order Proffessional acc kit for and the reversable flower lens hood for a separate lens I have. Just on the lens alone I save over $600 at regular price, over $300 at the "sale" price.... I am ecstatic and can't wait to try it out on my pen work the note inside of the package from the President of the company was a reassuring sign that I made the right choice.... Total in all I got what I wanted plus a heck of alot more....This is the longest review I have ever done on an item and wish I could give it a 6 instead of a five.....Thank You very much...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 21, 2014
I was leery of buying another wide angle lens. Most of the time, the lens turns out to be a fish-eye, not a true wide angle lens. However, after watching a video review by another Amazon reviewer, I took a chance. And I'm glad I did, this is a great little lens. It nicely expands the field of vision without distortion around the edges. I normally keep the camera in manual, but tried running it in auto-mode to see if the lens affected the camera's automatic functions, but it had no problems making adjustments with the new lens. This is a good lens, and a fabulous value for the price.
on July 27, 2012
I got this for a Panasonic camcorder. First off, the quality seems quite good, and it has a nice lttle pouch for it, and caps for both ends. The image degradation is minimal. I only noticed increased lens flare, which you would suspect.
As far as 0.45X. The angle of view isn't increased as much as would be expected. I estimate that the angle is increased by about 20 degrees, but when you zoom back, to get rid of the vignetting, it's about a 10 degree increase in view. I would call it more of a 0.75X lens. At .45X it would be like converting a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera to about 22mm (87* angle). This is not close. Looks more like the results of a 35mm lens (on 35mm film camera). Definitely not a fisheye lens. But also minimal distortion. All IMO.
The lens can be screwed in half and the rear element does work as an extreme macro lens very nicely. Approximate 1" horizontal will fill the screen with my camera.
4 stars for low price, quality, and usefulness.
on January 13, 2011
I think what I really wanted this lens to be was a true fish-eye lens but without the barrel distortion (yeah, oxymoron, I know).

What I got is "OK." The extra wide isn't that dramatic on my video camera (the Panasonic HMC150, which has a pretty wide lens to begin with). I would say I get about %30-%40 more image with this lens. A far cry from the %55 I thought I was getting. I'm sure it really is giving me a true .45x wide-angle, but that's just not as wide as I thought it would be.

There is some noticeable vingetting around the corners at full wide (zoom 0) up to about zoom 30. So to put it another way, the corners are always going to be vingetted when this lens is used to go beyond my camera's widest angle. That said, the vingetting isn't horrible, it just makes the shot look more like a special effect and less like I had a camera with a shorter lens. If you frame your shots carefully I'm sure most people won't notice it though.

This lens also comes with a Macro (which I think is necessary to focus the wide-angle lens). The Macro is decent...probably a +12 or so. Lots of distortion on this lens, but who expects a +12 macro to be free of distortion?

In closing, I do want to say that the image quality of the wide lens is flawless at full wide, but has some vingette-like blur when zoomed in past 30. The effect is pleasing, but also impossible to avoid. The Macro lens has such a narrow focal length it's hard to judge it's image quality, but I'd say it's near perfect as well.
Ultimately, a fair lens for the price.
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2009
I purchased thus for my new Canon HG21 also purchased at Amazon. Build quality of glass and housing is excellent and the optics clearly have an anti-reflective coating on them. Image quality is fine in several minutes of test video I shot and appears to be completely undistorted. Do note that some camcorders (like my HG21 had) may have slight corner cutoff/vignetting at the full wide-angle zoom setting. A slight touch of the zoom away from full wide-angle solves this completely and you do not loose much at all of the (super) wide angle effect that this lens is made for. For under $30 as opposed to the Canon equivalent at about $150 and considering I won't be using it on a routine basis, I'm very happy with the Zeikos. By the way, if you go to their web site, they have many products in their lineup. After buying this lens, i also purchased a 3 piece Zeikos 37mm filter set from Amazon (which included a circular polarizer!) and am very happy with this line overall. Definitely worth the price!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.