BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 20, 2012
I was looking for an ultra wide angle lens for landscape photography on my Canon 7D. Luckily, I happened across this little gem on Amazon. It's cheaper, lighter and more compact than a dedicated lens, but is it worth buying?

Below is a list of PROS, CONS and TIPS about this lens adapter. Hopefully this review helps you decide.

PROS:
* No Vignetting - On my Canon EF 28mm F/1.8 USM prime lens, I have zero vignetting. This was my number one concern when I rolled the dice and purchased the .45x. According to most reviewers on these adapters, anything zoomed higher than 21mm is vignette free.
* Macro - half of the assembly is a macro lens. This lens can be used with out the wide angle part.
* Compact Size - small enough to easily stow in my camera bag.
* Light Weight - lighter than say the "built like a tank" Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 I used to own.
* Lens Coating - there appears to be an anti-reflective or anti-glare coating on it. I have not experienced any uncontrollable flares. It may or may not hold up against scratches, but I plan on babying it like the rest of my lenses.
* Threading - the wide angle piece has a 62mm outer threading so you will be able to use a lens cap or filters with it. (ND, Polarized, UV, etc..). I suppose you could use a regular 58mm filter if you screwed it on the lens before screwing in the Zeikos .45x. this would sandwich it in between the lens and the adapter. But, more glass means degraded image quality.
* No Light Loss - unlike using macro extension tubes, this filter will not rob your camera of light.
* Auto Focus Works - the auto focus on my lens does not seem to be effected at all.
* Very Little Distortion - closer objects will fisheye a little, but nothing worth worrying about. Landscape images barely show it, just mind where you place the horizon in the frame. And if it really bugs you, you can adjust the barreling in post.

CONS:
* Lens Hood - no way to attach a lens hood. I just end up using my hand when needed.
* Soft Edges - if you shoot in larger apertures, the edges seem softer or out of focused compared to the middle.
* Actual Magnification - my math says this .45x adapter turns my 28mm f/1.8 lens into a 13mm. It clearly does not. My best guess would be a .6x magnification, which would make it a 17mm. BUT, the Canon 7D is a 1.6x crop, so in full frame terms, this really becomes a 27mm. AHHH! Whatever!!!! It's wider than what I could shoot before. So, I'm happy. :)

TIPS:
* Macro - Depth of field becomes even shallower on whatever lens you are using the Macro ring on, so if you are planning on shooting handheld, have a lot of light, a flash and a tripod available. It will make getting the shot a lot easier. Closing down your aperture to F/5.6 or more helps too.
* Soft Edges - I did some tests using a tripod, strobes and a test chart. Here's what I found: F/1.8 to 2.5 gave a creamy amount of blur on the outer edges of the image. F/2.8 to 4.5 were good enough. F/5.6 to 11 were sharp. F/16-22 are razor sharp.
* Chromatic Aberration (CA) - the better your lens, the less CA you will have. I shoot with prime lenses which generally have less glass elements than zoom lenses. This typically means less CA. Once you hit f/6.3 or higher, CA goes away.

With all that being said, is it worth the cost of a 4 Starbuck's coffees? Totally!!! If you are planning on using this for fun, travel or just whatever, you will be happily surprised. If you are a pro photographer in need of a tack sharp ultrawide, up your budget. I would recommend the Rokinon 14mm, Tokina 11-16mm or Canon 10-22mm.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. Hopefully they have helped your buying decision. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to write them in the comments section below. Cheers! :)
on April 21, 2014
I was leery of buying another wide angle lens. Most of the time, the lens turns out to be a fish-eye, not a true wide angle lens. However, after watching a video review by another Amazon reviewer, I took a chance. And I'm glad I did, this is a great little lens. It nicely expands the field of vision without distortion around the edges. I normally keep the camera in manual, but tried running it in auto-mode to see if the lens affected the camera's automatic functions, but it had no problems making adjustments with the new lens. This is a good lens, and a fabulous value for the price.
Ever since I picked up my Canon VIXIA HFS10 camcorder, I've wanted to add a wide angle lens converter. Of course, the macro converter that Canon sells (the WD-H58) is pretty expensive and since I wouldn't use it very often I couldn't justify the cost.

Then I noticed this Zeikos lens and thought at this price it was worth a try. I'm pretty happy with it.

First, it looks great on my camcorder. It doesn't look cheap, and matches the style and look of the Vixia HFS10 very nicely. It comes with a "fit on" cap for the Wide Angle end of the lens and a "screw on" cap for the attachment side.

It does what I was looking for, expanding a bit on the angle I can capture up close and extending the range of imagery that's in focus on a longer shot. The main thing I wanted was to be able to shoot a bit wider up close, since I sometimes use a green screen in my office and can't get my camera back very far from the screen. Though I was hoping it would go a bit wider than it does, this definitely helps.

I'm not exactly sure what the .45x means, since as far as I can tell (based on measuring the relative size of objects with and without the lens on) this really gives about .8x magnification. I assume it may have to do with the fact that what you really have here is a "Macro" lens + a .45 Wide Angle lens and the net effect is to give a .8 magnification. What I didn't know when I bought this is that the "Macro" component of the lens and the "Wide Angle" component are separable. With the "Macro" filter alone you can get VERY close to objects like flowers and insects - and you can ONLY focus on things that are very close (between an inch or so to about half a foot). If you wanted to fit only "Wide Angle" component onto the Vixia HFS10 you'd need another adapter. Anyhow, the roughly .8 magnification of the whole set up is not quite as wide as I'd hoped but it does mean there is pretty minimal curvature effects around the edge of the frame - if you look closely at the attached video you'll see there is SOME curvature at the edges, noticeable on the right and left hand sides when the converter is attached.

Anyhow, I wondered why Canon only sold a .7 converter when you could get an inexpensive .45 converter from another company - I assumed to begin with that was because .7 is as far as you can go without vignetting (change in light levels from the center to the periphery) or fisheye-like curvature, and so I worried a bit that this lens would show those effects. Luckily it doesn't show them to an unacceptable degree, but what my tests suggest is that this lens with its roughly .8 magnification is probably pretty close to what you actually get with Canon's own lens, and their numbers likely assess the "true" conversion rate of the lens as a whole, whereas the .45 only applies if you were to use only the "Wide Angle" portion of the lens. (If anyone knows more about this than I do I'd love to read about it in the comments.)

One thing that is probably evident from this footage is that with the lens on there seems to be a slight loss in the light levels. That's to be expected, but it's something you can compensate for in the settings. I can't compare this to Canon's own lens, but since I picked this up at less than 10% of the cost, and it does most of what I wanted from it, I'm not complaining.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2009
I purchased thus for my new Canon HG21 also purchased at Amazon. Build quality of glass and housing is excellent and the optics clearly have an anti-reflective coating on them. Image quality is fine in several minutes of test video I shot and appears to be completely undistorted. Do note that some camcorders (like my HG21 had) may have slight corner cutoff/vignetting at the full wide-angle zoom setting. A slight touch of the zoom away from full wide-angle solves this completely and you do not loose much at all of the (super) wide angle effect that this lens is made for. For under $30 as opposed to the Canon equivalent at about $150 and considering I won't be using it on a routine basis, I'm very happy with the Zeikos. By the way, if you go to their web site, they have many products in their lineup. After buying this lens, i also purchased a 3 piece Zeikos 37mm filter set from Amazon (which included a circular polarizer!) and am very happy with this line overall. Definitely worth the price!!
on November 23, 2014
I cannot believe the quality for the price. My Sony camera actually takes a 55mm diameter thread, so I had to use a step-up 55 to 58mm adaptor ring to use these, but they are superb for the price.

I first bought Neewar lenses and had to return them. Despite some really good reviews, both of mine had incredible scratches right in the centers of both lenses. Nothing else fitted my Sony camera, so I had to consider larger lenses and adaptor rings. I am really glad I did now. Both of the Zeikos lenses I bought were superb, I could see no aberrations on the pictures, both worked with autofocus and even the build quality was excellent. The photos I took with the wide angle lens was just as sharp as without it, Even the telephoto one only introduced minor blurriness, mainly at the edges of the pictures. Leave a little space at the edges of your pictures and crop them off and no one would ever notice.
on March 16, 2010
Okay, for only 11 bucks (plus shipping), what an incredible deal. Even the Amazon.com price is phenomenal. BUT, you need to know the pros/cons of this product.

1.)The build quality is great. Looks 15x more expensive than it is. Integrates well with camera.

2.)It's actually a set. This isn't at all clear from the description. You get a macro lens, and a wide angle converter. The two screw together to create a macro/wide angle converter combo. I'll discuss each one, below.

3.)The Macro Lens: Great. By itself, worth the price. Macros are used for close-ups, and it's all this is good for. Tried it against a much more expensive model in a camera store, saw no difference. Used it for a human eye close-up and some ladybugs, and it looked fantastic. Small and compact.

4.)The Wide Angle Converter: Useless. Kind of produces a weird distorted fish-eye effect, but the visual garbling/distortion is awful and unattractive. No idea if this is supposed to have any function on its own, but if so, then it fails at it.

5.)The Wide Angle Conveter/Macro Combo: Moderately useful. First, it's compact. Much more so than a "true" wide angle converter like those offered by Sony or Canon. It is barely wider than a 58mm barrel. It opens up the frame a bit ... maybe .9 to .85 ... not sure. It makes a difference, but don't expect to turn into David Lean

The problem is with zooming. At minimal to zero zooms, I saw no image problems, and it did its job well. At 5x+, color problems and distortions appeared. As you get close to 8x+, the lens became useless. So much distortion you could barely tell what you're looking at. So, basically, don't use this if you expect to zoom at all! But, for its pricepoint, if you know the limitations it's a great deal.
on December 25, 2012
I ordered this lens primarily for wide angle photography. However, it's better for the macro portion.

PROS: I'm able to use my 18-55mm lens, attach the macro lens to it and photograph the detailed words on a penny or a dime with no problem whatsoever. The quality of the glass is also very good and has a nice weight to it. when it comes to wide angle shots, this lens does save you approximately 3 additional feet backwards that you may have not had depending on where you're positioned when you're doing group shot.

CONS: While the lens does give you an additional 3 feet, the corners produces black vignetting. And, the only way to eliminate it is to zoom in a little bit. The bad thing is, if you zoom in, you're essentially defeating the purpose of a wide angle lens! This results in not an extra 3 feet, but an extra 1 1/2 to maybe 2 feet.

Still, for the price, it's okay.

By the way, I'm not a professional, which is evident by my description of this lens. I use a Canon 30D camera. But, I cannot stress enough that for macros, this camera is pretty nice. Now I can photograph the details of an insect or a coin without any distortion.
on December 5, 2009
I have owned this for a few weeks now. I've used it a few times with my Canon HF S10. Just recently I used it for a 2 hour tour de force real estate shoot. I filmed indoors and outdoors, low light and bright light, fixed on a tripod and hands free with panning.

The final cut (10 minutes) can be viewed on youtube if you search for "Colonial Square Model Twin Home Complete!"

Issues I've noticed include dark shadows in the upper right and left corners when at full wide (zoomed out all the way). Chromatic aberration (red, green, and blue halos around things) is particularly bad. The barrel distortion (curve of straight lines near the edges) actually isn't too bad but blurring is very noticible everywhere except the dead center of the shot.

The lens is alo extremely suseptible to lens flaring. If there there is a light source in front of or above you... you will have lens flare garanteed. The wide lens is threaded so you can use a Multi Coated UV filter to kill the lens flare.

Overall I found the quality of the video captured with this lens on to be noticably degraded.

That all said I have to agree with the video review that the build quality is spectacular. It integrates and blends with the HF S10 body very naturally. It's solid metal and glass, built like a tank. The snap on lens cap is a great inclusion. And weird as it may sound it adds enough extra weight and viewing area to the camera that it substantially reduces the amount of perceivable camera shake in my shots. If you need to go wide in some hostile environments and need a lens that can take a beating but won't make you shed any tears if it dies this would be worth having in your arsenal.

All things considered for $10 I would buy this again without hesitation. It's alright as a fail safe in the event that I absolutely have to go wide and can live with the issues the lens brings with it. Or in situations where I'm afraid the camera and the lens may be taking one for the team in the name of extreme cinematography. It's also a fantasticly cheap way to play around with different lens styles without breaking the bank.

If you're not shooting in 1080p the chromatic aberration, blurring, etc, may not be noticable. But if you need to do a lot of professional HD grade wide angle filming look to the Raynox or Canon 58mm wide angle. And be prepared to pay A LOT more.
on December 13, 2009
I ordered this as a basic test to expand the wide end of my Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens for video mode on a hybrid DSLR. This adapter is made up of two pieces: a wide-angle portion, and a macro portion. With the macro adapter screwed onto the back of the wide-angle adapter, it fits a 58mm lens, but the threading between the macro section and the wide section has much smaller threading. Therefore, if you are expecting to get a true .45x magnification factor, you will be dissappointed, as the wide-angle section alone has threading somewhere around 51mm and cannot be used on a 58mm threaded lens without some kind of adapter. This makes it nearly useless without the macro attachment since the vignetting would take up a good portion of the 58mm circle.

Having said that, it does give the effect of approximately .7x magnification with both pieces assembled, so it isn't completely worthless. It is a solid metal build, but the transparent material (whatever it may be) isn't perfectly even. The threads don't appear to be of the best of quality, either.

I won't give this 1-star because it does work well as a .7x adapter for medium definition work. I've held equivalent adapters for 7 times this price. You just need to know about the above mentioned issue before considering a purchase.
on January 13, 2011
I think what I really wanted this lens to be was a true fish-eye lens but without the barrel distortion (yeah, oxymoron, I know).

What I got is "OK." The extra wide isn't that dramatic on my video camera (the Panasonic HMC150, which has a pretty wide lens to begin with). I would say I get about %30-%40 more image with this lens. A far cry from the %55 I thought I was getting. I'm sure it really is giving me a true .45x wide-angle, but that's just not as wide as I thought it would be.

There is some noticeable vingetting around the corners at full wide (zoom 0) up to about zoom 30. So to put it another way, the corners are always going to be vingetted when this lens is used to go beyond my camera's widest angle. That said, the vingetting isn't horrible, it just makes the shot look more like a special effect and less like I had a camera with a shorter lens. If you frame your shots carefully I'm sure most people won't notice it though.

This lens also comes with a Macro (which I think is necessary to focus the wide-angle lens). The Macro is decent...probably a +12 or so. Lots of distortion on this lens, but who expects a +12 macro to be free of distortion?

In closing, I do want to say that the image quality of the wide lens is flawless at full wide, but has some vingette-like blur when zoomed in past 30. The effect is pleasing, but also impossible to avoid. The Macro lens has such a narrow focal length it's hard to judge it's image quality, but I'd say it's near perfect as well.
Ultimately, a fair lens for the price.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.