Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Zen Guitar
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 7, 2014
I've been playing/learning guitar for over 30 years. This book is great because it allows you to put things into perspective. If you find yourself frustrated because you can't play like your guitar idol, can't play a particular song, can't master a certain technique, this book is for you. It is a bit cliche, but it's essentially about the journey...and you should enjoy the ride rather than whining in the back seat saying "are we there yet?!?!?!"

When I hit my next slump (and it will come), I plan on rereading this book.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on October 7, 2016
Are you ready? If you are ready for the message, this book is invaluable. No chords, no scales, no teacher, no guru. It is you and what you think about playing music. If one's ego gets involved in the process of making music there might be a problem. I am on my second reading. Insights abound, not only for music but for life. Imagine there are other possibilities out there-- just play. Reminds me sometimes of Golf in the Kingdom. As is mentioned there F*** ever getting better. It works but don't read it for that reason, just read it.
on April 11, 2017
This can be applied to anything in life. Not for the 5 minute attention span folks. It's a little deeper. No easy button.
on July 19, 2017
good for mind as well as hands and fingers
on May 30, 2015
Great little read for anyone seeking to learn guitar (or any musical instrument really) in a non-conventional way, doesnt matter if you're just starting out or if you're a pro. Awsome book to have around and read twice a year because it has some great content that you will want to remember. I gave it 4 stars due to the price since i think it is a little out of range in ratio to the amount of content given. Still a great buy.
on April 9, 2014
I first read this 20 years ago, and the teachings and quotes herein shaped my life in such a way that I live this everyday now.
It is a great combination of Zen principles, and quotes from the greats of music and simple enough to really not only help a person refine their music, but also refine their life.
Well written and laid out, this paperback is a must have for a guitar enthusiast, musician, or human, as there are practical applications for life in general.
Highly recommend.
on July 28, 2015
Loved this book. Mixed two things that I'm really interested in - - zen and (wait for it....) guitar!

Sometimes zen concepts can be tough to grasp but when put in the context of something you can physically hold & play & feel - - they make more sense. I found the book was able to improve my "zen capabilities" and made me a better guitar player.
on February 17, 2017
Picked this book up after reading an old interview in which my favorite artist, John Rzeznik, recommended it. Was not disappointed. A refreshing change up from thinking about nothing but the technical side of playing music!
on April 1, 2016
What a great read for every level of guitarist. I must've highlighted something on every page. Read it then read it again, white to black and to white again.
2 helpful votes
on February 16, 2015
It was an interesting read. Having been in martial arts and being able to related to some of the mental aspects. The major experience I took away from the read is the ability be free to find my own guitar self. I have a wide like for music of most genre and I now feel free to let the guitar take me where it wants to..
It is no magic, one still has to put in the practice..