We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
About the Product
- Follow-up to 2010's award-winning puzzle adventure Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.
- Old friends from 999 return to join a new cast.
- Novel sections fully-voiced in English and Japanese.
- Plenty of replayability, with twenty-four different endings.
- New mysteries to solve.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Unfortunately the game currently has some pontionally game ending bugs in it, I personally experienced my game freezing and crashing 3 separate times. To combat this I highly suggest that for the time being every one always always always ave in the story sections and never in the puzzler sections until a patch or fix is released.
That said, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND playing the first game (999), and playing it on the Nintendo DS in particular. Yes, there is a version on iPhone. No, it's not the same. The DS is CRITICAL to playing the game and getting the right impact, but I can't say why without spoiling it. Just get it and play it before this game, as there is some continuity that will make this game more enjoyable. Plus, the first game is actually the better game anyway.
(PS: You can play 999 on your 3DS using the original DS cart. No need to buy a separate system if you already have a 3DS!)
Now, I'll try to keep the review itself as spoiler free as possible for both games, but I will talk about some obvious thematic elements. VLR is a sequel to 999 and takes place in the same universe, so the plot of 999 is mentioned in VLR and a lot of game play elements are carried over.
On the plus side:
- Branching decisions are now shown on a giant flowchart in game. If you make a choice you didn't want to, or hit a dead end, you can simply go back to the last decision, room, or big event on the flowchart and go from there. It makes for a lot less of a hassle than 999 where you had to replay that first hour every single time. The puzzles are all solved by opening a safe as well. Once you have the code, you'll never need to do the puzzle again which brings me to...
- No more repeating puzzles! VLR has added so many puzzle rooms that no matter which dialogue options you take, as you play though the whole game you will never have to do the same room twice. So not only do you get more puzzles to work with, you don't have to plod though ones you've already done
- Grand new story. Without spoiling anything, it involves 999's plot and backstory, but takes it to a much larger scale.
- Music. Quite a few of the little sound effects are recycled from 999. In fact, the first sound you hear is a sound effect from 999, but more music and sound effects are added as well. So it's a nice mix of old and new.Read more ›
This game is a beautifully written visual novel combined with some mind-bending puzzles, but nothing that you can't figure out. What I love about this game the most however is the story. It's filled with so many non-cliche plot twists and turns, and mysteries for you that I wish could see this as a movie or something. But you can't. If you have ever wanted proof that a video game can convey something that no other media form can, then play this game after it's prequel. It's mind blowing.
Though it's been mentioned in other reviews, you cannot stress enough not to save in the puzzle parts. It is pretty obnoxious, but you will just have to deal with that. I lost 10 hours of gameplay, and I'm lucky it wasn't more. Just as a sidenote, this game took me about 40 hours overall to complete everything, so it will keep you busy.
Do yourself a favor and pick this up. I guarantee you will not regret it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A little annoying with the timelines and jumping. It's much harder than the first game but it is still a fun one.Published on June 16, 2014 by Karen
The preorder bonus item was a bit of a disappointment, but the game was awesome so that's okay. It's mostly a story game with a couple of puzzles. Read morePublished on October 13, 2013 by Jessica
Wish that i didn't have to go through all of the pre-order stuff but in the end the game was amazing and the watch was awesome too!Published on March 12, 2013 by brittany
this is one of the best games i've ever played, it has a great storyline, many endings, thrilling puzzles and more!Published on March 1, 2013 by yobo
This game is the sequel to the best game and this is best game 2 the seuqel I swear this game is good buy it you will love yourself for such a good deicosn honest to trurthsPublished on January 29, 2013 by Ramzy
It's a great game, it just makes you want to keep playing it. I'd suggest playing 999 first, but it's still be great to play on its own.Published on December 22, 2012 by Cbajd5
This game had me glued to my 3DS for the entire length of the story. The game is not perfect, there is a known bug that cab corrupt your save file, but It's very easy to avoid it... Read morePublished on December 17, 2012 by Bluestreak2