Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

Replaced a portion of my power cord with this retractable unit and thus far it works great.
I do a considerable amount of traveling overseas and i like the fact it gives me the option of using the wired European style plug or detachable U.S. style adapter when needed.
The length of the cord has also extended my maneuverability range by almost 2ft for the instances where my hotel room has oddly and inconveniently placed outlets.
I like the retractable feature so much I've been upgrading some of my other cabling to this feature (HDMI, Cat5 ethernet, RCA) so that I can use as little or much when the need calls:-)
on April 4, 2008
I bought this to help reduce my cable clutter when I'm traveling. I'm pretty pleased with the result. It is fairly chunky, the retractor hub is 2 1/4" in diameter and 3/4" thick, but it still takes up less space than my old cable, with less mess. It seems sturdy and well built.

It replaces the laptop AC cable, i.e the cable from the wall AC outlet to the laptop's power transformer. (It doesn't replace the transformer!) At the transformer end, it supports the standard two prong "Figure Eight" connector and includes an adapter for the three prong "Mickey Mouse" connector. These are the two most common laptop power connectors.
on December 27, 2009
First, this is a great product idea...

But I ordered a couple and both have now exhibited a pretty bad problem. In both cases, the connection of the cord to the PC-side adapter is a bit loose and bare wire (!!!!!) starts to show. This does not happen on the wall-plug side. This happened to one of the cables after only a couple of days of very gentle use. I figured it was just a bad sample. Then my 2nd cable did exactly the same thing. If you have one of these, you should check it...
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 8, 2010
The more I read on the review sections the more I get the feeling that the competitors come to trash their rivals products.

I have about 8 varieties of Zip-Linq products and after over a year of heavy use, they are doing their job without any problems whatsoever.

When I read "Great product idea, but" I start wondering if the Acme Coyote is writing a review for a competing product. The reel is plastic. Don't use it to hold up a car whilst changing a tyre. Don't toss it in the bottom of your back pack and then cram a 10 pound laptop on top of it. And for God's sake don't chew on the wires. I mean this thing has the same wires that would be on a power brick or USB. You need to have a little kindness toward the gadget, but I find them amazingly durable and as a man with OCD, clean, neat and tidy (without nasty wear and tear making my computer look ugly) is of the utmost importance.

Buy them, you will be happy.
on December 14, 2013
I've purchased this before, liked it and ordered another one just like it. I know it's the same entry, because Amazon says, "You ordered this on ..." blah blah blah. This one came with some kind of foreign tip on it (sorry, I don't travel much so I don't know which). On the OUTSIDE of the blister package a US adapter was taped to the package. It makes what should be a compact laptop accessory into an unwieldy behemoth. The original non-retractable cable I'm replacing is actually more compact than this monster.

I suppose if you do travel, it would be nice to be able to accommodate all locales, but I don't.

I will be returning it unless the return shipping is outrageous on a $10 item.
on September 8, 2012
The product is a retractable power cord for a notebook computer. Unfortuntely, although the product is offered on the US website, no mention is made that the plug is a european style plug that is incompatible with North American outlets. To be fair, an adapter was taped to the product packaging that allows the item to be used in the US and Canada, but the adapter is incredibly cheap and doesn't fit the european plug very well. You will want to invest in a more substantial euro two prong to North American two prong adapter (an inexpensive but important purchase).

Ironically, for those of us who travel extensively, this product is really useful. I would prefer that this merchant highlight the fact the cord is designed for the European market. If they included a quality adapter, I'd actually pay a premium for this product.
on January 27, 2016
I love this retractable power cord for my laptop and it's easy to pack up to put back into my backpack.
on May 5, 2013
This retractable cord makes it easy to pack my laptop into my computer bag. Instead of the usual routine of trying to coil up the cord and seeing if I can get it into a little compartment in the bag, I just let it retract and tuck it away. The only drawback is it only goes from the wall outlet to the power supply. I wish the computer makers would build a similar system to go from the power supply to the computer, but that's probably too much to hope for.

I already had a similar model that I purchased from another source, so I thought I knew what I was getting. Instead, this is better than my old model, because it has an adapter to allow it to be used in European outlets.
on January 4, 2010
The price for this power cord is a little high - but it is a nice addition to my travel bag. I "upgraded" from a large 15.4" notebook to a Samsung N120-12GBK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 6 Cell Battery recently. I was tired of lugging around a big backpack just to have my laptop handy. The Samsung is so much lighter and fits in a bag that goes under the seat in front of me on an airplane.

Unfortunately, the Samsung comes with a power supply that's almost as big as my old one. And the power cord from the wall to the power supply is surprisingly large. I got this as a replacement. It saves much space inside my smaller laptop bag. I also replaced the power supply - but that's a different story: Replacement AC Adapter/Charger 19V 2.1A 40W for Samsung N110-12PBK,N120-12GBK Netbook

Overall, it's great replacement cord that keeps itself tidy. But you'd be better off with a plain, thinner cord with a velcro strap. The plastic spool on this cord is rather bulky.
on December 29, 2011
Went through about 6 of these in the last couple of years, two of them replaced on warranty. The quality is just terrible, either the laptop or outlet side cables break and you have to wiggle them so they connect again (great idea, especially if you're on a plane, so it'll start sparking and smoking). Just threw out my last one, not buying them anymore, not worth the trouble. Great idea, convenience is there, but the quality of execution is below par.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.