Bubble Witch Saga 3 BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 352 reviews(5 star). See all 665 reviews
on January 25, 2011
This is like the third warmer I've had over the years, and I really like this model best. It has very slim lines, but is still a very effective heater. If you only have one of them, you'll be passing it from hand to hand. They're much more effective if they can stay in one spot.

Also, the instructions say that you can't stop it, once it's lit, it has to burn all the way down. WRONG! There are two ways, but this one is easiest: With the heater in its pouch, put it inside a ziplock bag and seal it. If you squeeze most of the air out of the bag before you seal it, the "flame" dies out in a couple of minutes. You don't have to refill it to go again, as long as you haven't used up all the fuel. Cool, huh? I use mine on hour long walks with the dogs, and one refill lasted almost two weeks, by putting it out after a walk.

BTW, you can do the same thing with the little dry chem heaters; just seal it in a ziploc and it will stop the reaction when it runs out of oxygen. You can start it again the next time you need it, as long as it isn't used up.

Oh, and Coleman fuel at $8.88 a GALLON is exactly the same chemical(naptha) as Zippo lighter fluid, for $5-something for 4 OUNCES!
5150+ comments| 999 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2011
Such a great product, I bought 2! Wonderful for when the weather is nippy and cold. 1 fill lasts 12-14 hours. The initial fill-up (instructions say to double fill the first time) lasted 28 hours when in the warmer pouch. So you CAN double fill it if needed. I like to keep it in my inside coat pocket to stay toasty. I have also used it in the pouch as a sleeping bag "pre-warmer", for camping. This unit FAR surpasses the "solid fuel stick" types of warmers. The only drawback I have found is that it would be really nice if it came with a "snuffer cap" to put it out. If you keep the fitted ziplock baggie it comes in, you can always put it in there to smother it out to conserve fuel. The element is rated for 80 uses, but I know people that have had the same one for years. I'm pretty sure there's one in my father's future as a gift. He loves being outdoors but as he has gotten older the cold weather really bothers him. I can see this product being really nice for arthritis sufferers in the wintertime also. One last note... I don't recommend this for hunters. If you're planning to hunt anything with a keen sense of smell, this is not what you want. It smells like a zippo lighter and would surely ward off deer.
on November 30, 2015
Probably you wont believe me. I am from Argentina and I use it while hunting wild boars in a blind. You must be quiet and avoid noises. Yesterday I put them inside my pocket with the provided bag, (I purchased 2 units) One in my left pocket the other in my right side pocket. I was sitting down and warm enough while waiting, very happy and comfortable. It was from 8pm until 6am, I was surprised it last all night long with a very good temperature. I put them in my backpack with all the hunting gear and I drove home. I arrived home at 21:00 hs and started to unpack my things from my pick up and... I still cant believe it, both of them were still warming my gear after more than 24 hours. So It will be an should for hunting from now on. The only problem is the smell, but it is fixed if you keep it inside your clothes, I Will puirchase more...
on November 20, 2012
I bought two of these after reading most of the reviews and researching other methods to keep my hands warm. I had to go back and reread reviews once I got them because they are very hard to light and I avoided using them because I did not want to go to the trouble of lighting them.

Lighting them involves warming the catalyst up so be patient especially if it is cold ( I read someone used a torch not a bad idea I got a Zippo lighter for this task).

Fluffing up a bit of the cotton from the reservoir towards the catalyst helps them light faster.

Once they are lit leave them out to warm up then put them in the cloth bag. Open or close the bag as needed as a regulator for level of heat.

Because I read that filling them involves putting the small plastic, filler tube into the cotton and slowly letting the fluid be absorbed I had no problems there.

I also got Coleman fluid much cheaper but then decided to get a can of Zippo fluid for the pour spout (tossing the cheap plastic thing that came with this product) and I can refill the can of Zippo fluid with Coleman fluid for portability and ease of filling in one package.

I have yet been able to pour from the Coleman bottle to the plastic filler thing without spilling but now I have a Zippo can so I am not worried about that anymore.

To extinguish them put in a heavy zip-lock bag to snuff them out.

Store them in the plastic bag so fuel does not evaporate.

Enjoy. They are great once you get them working right.

Edited to add: It is difficult to tell when they are lit. If it is dark you can see a orange/red glow. I let them sit for awhile to make sure it catches then put the top and bag on them. Warning they do get very hot when left out of the bag.

I love these things I now use them every day, I light them up for my morning exercise routine. Not sure if I noted that getting two as another reviewer suggested is the way to go. I can put one in each pocket and stick my hands in as needed. In AZ winter temps (low 30's to 40's) they literally warm me up all around. I have Raynauds so my hands need the extra boost to stay warm. I have been to the snow this year and kept these things burning in my pockets all day. I also brought extra fluid and a lighter (duh!) one went out mid-day and i just filled it and lit it back up again.

Another note: I am not sure why they flame up sometimes I suspect I am overfilling them. I now fill them in the sunlight (or bright light) where I can see it getting moist. I try to stop before fluid spills out all over. I guess that is where the filling plastic thing comes in handy...
on March 25, 2012
It worked fine on the first two burns. The third time I tried to use it, I couldn't light it at all, no matter how long I held a lighter to it. Even when I soaked the catalyst cap with lighter fluid and lit it on fire, it did not ignite. Then I remembered the very helpful video review, and I picked at the wick material to make it stick out about 2-3 mm, so that it might be closer to touching the inside of the catalyst cap. Then it lit right up. I think the wick had gotten pressed down a little from the squirt bottle tip during filling. I'm using a 5 oz bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid which has a nice flip-top squirt tip -- much easier to use than the fill bucket.

It burns for ~12 hrs at a time, at about a heating pad temperature. If it's pressed up against your skin (in its bag) it gets uncomfortable after about 10 min. It's a good temperature for sore muscles, but if you put it underneath you, you will limit the oxygen too much and it won't burn very warm.

I bought it in hopes that it will be good for drying out wet boots/clothing/sleeping bag during a 10d back-country ski trip. Taken out of its bag and wrapped in a damp pair of jeans, it burns hotter (as long as you leave enough air ventilation) but doesn't seem to dry the jeans much faster than just air drying alone.

You can extinguish it by sealing it (in its bag) into a ziploc bag so it runs out of oxygen. But then you need to wrap it in plastic wrap to save the rest of the lighter fluid from evaporating.

As others have said, the catalyst cap is a little bit loose, though it would take some shaking to knock it off by accident. It is contained in the bigger holey cap, which itself cannot come off if you have it in the felt bag. The one time the catalyst cap did fall off for me, it didn't move out of its proper location (since I was holding it upright) and I was able to pop it back on securely before it extinguished.

You can detect a minor kerosene-like smell very occasionally, but not enough to bother me. The smell is NOT retained by any of the fabrics I have wrapped around it in my laundry-drying experiments.

I think it would be a useful thing to put at the foot of my sleeping bag on the glacier, in place of a hot-water bottle, but this will depend on whether there is sufficient oxygen to keep it burning. I'm probably going to buy a couple more as gifts.
on November 13, 2016
This is my secret to ignoring cold weather. I don't like to carry heavy coats around, so I put this in my pocket and it keeps me warm all day. And it's a great conversation piece. No one I know has ever seen one before I show it to them. I constantly leave them on the subway, so I've purchased more than a few, but I'm happy to do so.
I had used one of these many years ago when I worked outside in construction. Now I need it just to be outside in the winter to go to my grandson's football games. These are also great to carry in your car as emergency heat in case your car breaks down. The heat lasts for 10 to 14 hours if you keep it in the bag that comes with it to limit the oxygen to the catalytic flame. If you don't it keep it in the bag it will get hot enough that you can't hold it.

I carry it in my shirt pocket and it keeps you warm inside your coat. If you live in a cold weather area and spend a lot of time outdoors you need one of these.
on October 4, 2015
I've used these several times when the temps dip down below freezing and they've kept me warm every time. I either slip them in my pockets for my commute to work or have them in the pockets of my coat when shoveling snow. It's a welcome relief to slip my hands in my pockets and have them warm in a matter of minutes. The only downside is that there is a little setup time involved with getting these going (filling them with fuel, lighting the wick, and waiting a few minutes for them to warm up. There is no On/Off switch for these, so you have to have a little patience when using them. They also give off a slight lighter fluid odor, so keep that in mind if you're sharing a tight place with others (public transportation, office, etc).
on October 22, 2013
WE USE THESE THINGS TO WARM OTHER THINGS OTHER THAN HANDS LIKE LION BATTERIES WHILE ICE FISHING. THE COLD LIKES TO DEPLETE THE CHARGE FROM MANY BATTERIES.
BE REAL CAREFUL THO AROUND HAVING THIS TOUCHING DIRECTLY TO ANY THING AT ALL!!
IT HAS BURNED A FEW THINGS OF MINE LIKE GLOVES. JERSEY ONES WITH THE DOTS AND OF COARSE YOUR SKIN IF NOT PAYING ATTENTION. WE USE DIFFERENT BAGS TO KEEP THEM IN AND TRY TO FIND THE BEST THAT IT WON'T SLIP OUT FROM BUT GIVES IT ENOUGH AIR TO FUNCTION.
THEY DO STINK QUIT A BIT AND I USE CAMPING FUEL/WHITE GAS INSTEAD OF NAPHTHA (LIGHTER FLUID). YOU REALLY NEED TO START THESE INDOORS WITH EXTRA FLUID ON THE BURNER ON A SURFACE THAT WONT BURN OR TURN BLACK AND BURN IT OFF WHILE IT GETS THE WICK GOING GOOD. WE EXPERIMENT WITH HOW CLOSE TO KEEP THE BATTING WICH HOLDS THE FLUID TO THE BURNING WICK.
I LIKE THE SLENDER DESIGN OF THIS OVER THE JON-E BRAND THAT IS BOXY.
on March 3, 2013
I was looking for something that would keep me warm while stationary in the woods. I would stay there for hours, but after awhile I started to get cold, which forced me to head back home. These Zippo hand warmers really fixed the problem perfectly.

For Fuel I used Ronsonol Lighter Fuel, It's the Same exact thing as Zippo, just a lot cheaper.

I've heard a lot about this being hard to light, it's actually quite easy. It takes about 30-60 seconds for me to light one.
The only time I hear it gets hard to light is when the platinum-catalyzed glass fiber burner starts to ware out.

The only thing I don't like about this hand warmer is that the burner falls off if you're moving around a lot. For example I was climbing a side of a mountain and I noticed my warmers were no longer warm. I took cap off and noticed the burner was off.
I fixed this problem by using a small screw driver and making the indents on the burner tighter.

As far as tips go, don't forget to let the just lit hand warmer(s) sit out in the open for at least 2 minutes, or else they will not get warm enough. I had this problem for the first 2 days. I noticed my hand warmers were never that warm. I was not to happy about this. After I Googled my problem, I found that this was the reason why they never got warm enough.

Just make sure to handle with care, because after those 2 minutes I went to pick one up and burnt myself.
But after that, my hand warmers have been my personal heaters, very reliable and warm.

Also, you can stop the burner once it's lit. Simply take off the burner (careful it's hot) and let it sit for 5 minutes, then put the Zippo hand warmer in an airtight bag (prevents fuel evaporating). To re-light, take the hand warmer out of the bag, put the burner back on, and light as you normally would.

Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend it to anyone that likes to stay warm on a cold day.

I hope my review has made your choice to buy this item easier!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.