Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Zojirushi SM-JA48RA 0.48-Liter Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug, Red
|Price:||$59.99 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Sturdy stainless steel body
- Easy-to-clean nonstick interior
- Vacuum insulation to keep beverages hot or cold for hours
- Plastic cover around the mouth of the mug
- Tight fitted lid keeps beverages hotter or colder than travel mugs
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||RAINBOWUSA||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Live_Well||Tokyo Japanese Outlet|
|Item Dimensions||2.75 x 2.75 x 9.5 in||2.62 x 2.62 x 8.5 in||3.5 x 3.5 x 8.62 in||2.62 x 2.62 x 8.5 in||2.38 x 2.38 x 7 in||2.75 x 2.75 x 9.12 in|
|Material Type||Stainless-Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Size||16-Ounce||16 Ounce||16 oz||16 Ounce||10 oz/0.30 L||16 Ounce|
|Volume Capacity Name||16 ounces||16 ounces||16 ounces||16 ounces||—||16 ounces|
Zojirushi's 16-Ounce tuff mug is constructed out of durable stainless steel, and has vacuum insulation that will keep your beverages hot or cold for hours. Each mug has a plastic cover around the mouth, and an easy to clean non stick interior. The compact design of this mug takes minimal space while maximizing capacity.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
First of all: size. It's bigger than a can of soda and equivalent to the Grande coffee from Starbucks. And you're meant to drink directly from the mug. So I'm not really sure why people are reluctant to purchase something at this volume. Yes, it's not going to store an entire day's worth of coffee, but that's what the bigger thermos are for.
Second, it is quite labor intensive to clean. But that's only because it can be dismantled to the extent that you can truly give it a proper scrubbing! No more trying to squeeze the sponge into those threads around the lid! No more coffee stains that are forever there! So yes, give it a quick rinse (and use a bottle scrubber) when you're feeling lazy. And if you're using daily like I do, take time once a week to take apart the 4-part lid and clean everything thoroughly. It was designed to give clean-freaks the option of even removing the plastic washers and scrubbing them. It wasn't designed to force you to sit in front of the sink 10 minutes a day.
Finally, the expense? Well only you can decide whether or not you want to pay the premium, but let me tell you about the positives:
- Unbelievable heat isolation. Add French-pressed coffee to mug, and 6 hours later, it will still be too-hot-to-sip
- Mind numbing cold isolation. Seriously, I'm surprised when I drink soda and it's still cold enough to hurt.
- Fantastic new age looks. I've gotten 4 compliments in the last month about how nice this mug looks. Bizarre!
- Tough construction. Mine has rolled across an airport security screening section with little more than a scratch. The paint can scratch, and the stainless steel will dent, but you'd have to seriously scrape/bash it against something metallic to leave a mark.
- Leak-proof: I'm sure I'll eventually forgot to screw on the lid, but it's mechanically leak proof. I store it in a backpack, on its side and not a drop of liquid has ever escaped (the manual says store it upright for max heat retention but I've never had a problem)
- Slim size: it's tall, but it's easily hand held and carried in any backpack, laptop bag, or even those mesh pockets on the outside of your travel bags. And there's no problems fitting into those awful, tight magazine holders attached to the back of an airplane seat.
This is really a fantastic mug. At home I'll use it to store my afternoon French-pressed coffee. On the road, I'll use it to store coffee, water, soda... whatever airport security makes me throw out! I've bought two and I'll probably buy another backup.
Apart from that mystery, I was afraid that I would burn my lips when sipping the hot coffee. Apparently that is not the case. What I really like is the very nice design, that the coffee stays hot without scalding your lips when you drink, and that it seems to be totally safe - I even put it in the same bag where I keep my computer.
Update 1 April 2012: After having used the Zojirushi mug for four month, I am still very satisfied. Zojirushi stands for quality and this product is no exception.
The design could be vastly improved by having an opening to drink out of (as it is supposed to be a mug), as opposed to having to take the entire top off for a sip. I suspect this feature is included in the newer version of this thermos, but it seems to be unavailable in the U.S. or for a reasonable price on Amazon right now. I would personally wait until the newer version becomes available to buy this thermos, because that would eliminate what can be an annoying part of this thermos.
Aesthetically, this thermos is very sleek and lightweight; very pleasing to the eyes. I was surprised by how small it looked when I got it, but it holds 2 cups, as indicated. The thermos is also very scratch-resistant.
It also retains heat and cold for several hours. I often put boiling tea in it in the morning and later regret it because it's still too hot to drink even late in the afternoon. Even with the top off, heat is retained well and does not leave the thermos quickly.
I would also recommend using a solid brush to clean this thermos with, because dark liquids can "stain" (more like accumulate a layer on) the inside. Without one, it's difficult to reach the bottom.
Looks: 5 stars
Heat retention: 4.5 stars
Design: 4 stars
Overall: 4.5 stars
When I received the item, I was planning to keep it even though the top lid was not ideal at all. You have to open the whole lid to drink from it. That's how the design was intended,but I kept it because of the color. After having it for just a week,the color on the bottom of the mug was starting to fade. This was not worth keeping for $30,But I have to stay, it did keep hot liquids HOT for a long period of time.