Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

Zombie Cupcakes: From the Grave to the Table with 16 Cupcake Corpses
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 26, 2017
Really fun!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The title just makes you think "disturbingly cute idea" does it?
My daughter and I were both enthused over this cookbook. 16 cupcakes with decorating instructions to make them fit for a horror themed party, Halloween or just grossing out her dad.

So first, the decoration. Instructions are given for all the little disgusting details, which include rats, crows and eyeballs. The instructions are clear enough that even if you aren't a master sculptor you should be able to make all the projects. Some may need a little practice like artery detail on the eyeballs. The author uses some clever techniques and simple tools for a lot of the effects. The decorations use purchased, ready to use ingredients (fondant and gum paste) along with food coloring. Amounts are specified.

The recipes are fantastic. Because if people can get past the "EEEW!" factor, you want the cupcake to be the reward right? It starts with 4 frosting recipes, and lots of cupcake recipes, all made from scratch.Gingerbread, pumpkin, chocolate, devil's food, vanilla, there is a cupcake recipe for every occasion. All well explained and easy to bake.

As far as kids go, my teenage daughter thinks this is the coolest cupcake book ever. I have a bunch of cupcake books but the gore combined with the recipes appeals to her. My husband picked it up and glanced through it, then set it down quickly and said "I didn't want to see that." I asked "What?" and he shuddered and said "The eyeballs."
I promised not to try and feed him those, but didn't say a word about The Crows cupcake with it's fine detail of shiny raspberry jam "blood" under fondant "skin".

Recommended absolutely if you're a fan of zombies, cupcakes or have teens who love the gore. Great way to inspire kids to cook.

I got this book at no charge from the publisher to review for my craft website, Don't Eat the Paste. I'm never paid for my reviews and they are always my honest opinion.
on October 7, 2013
Great book for ideas with cute-but-spooky/scary. Cupcakes!!

Also wonderful tips on making different frostings, and designs.

Step by step directions with illustrations.
on December 9, 2012
Great colorful book full of glossy photos and easy to follow instructions. Wife is a cupcake fanatic and this has aloud her to add some truly unique designs to her arsenal.
on January 21, 2017
Some super great ides in here. Can't wait to try it!
on July 24, 2011
Beautiful cupcakes! Very creative! Makes me want to have a Halloween Party just so I can make them and show them off to my friends and eat them! Can't wait till Halloween this year!

5 out of 5 stars!
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2011
Recipes and instructions for sixteen special zombie movie themed cupcakes packed into one volume? Sounded like a cool book to add to my collection. My collection of zombie themed goodies anyway. No, I didn't pick this up with any plans to actually bake or decorate any cupcakes. Which means I wanted it merely for the fun of having a book mixing two of my favorite things... zombies and cupcakes! Which it definitely does. Rosen put together some really nice ideas for themes and matched her cupcake flavors nicely. Mud cupcakes with zombie hands rising from them? Genius!

So why did I find it only okay? All of the decorating is centered on fondant work. Which might be okay if it was all visually top notch--and urgh I feel overly critical saying this 'cause I know mine would look horrid--but most of it looks like playdough claymation leftovers. I expected them to look a little more professional. If I actually planned to make any of these I have to say though the recipes look killer (no pun intended). I would love to make the applesauce and caramel ones.

In the end I think you have to decide what you want from the book. Yummy recipes and zombie decorating ideas are what I think it best offers. This just isn't the cool "coffee table" type book I was thinking it was so I wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped to be.
***Received for review via NetGalley.
on January 4, 2013
The way to any person's heart, in my opinion, is through food. Plus when it comes in the form of cupcakes and totally awesome decorations who can refuse?

The recipes included in the book have simple step by step guides to how to make the selected desert. There are full colour pictures throughout, trivia about classic zombie movies and in the front section are simple recopies that are called for in some of the recipes.

I have to say that I am planning to try some of the recipes. The three that I liked most are: Eye Poppers, The Crows and Bride & Groom. I can't wait for Halloween when I will try these out.

I would be very interested in knowing if there are any further books in this series as if they are like this one I would love to try it out.
on October 27, 2011
I realy appreciated all the recipes and tips in Zombie Cupcakes. She teaches you how to color fondant, make royal icing, dark chocolate ganache, and Italian meringue buttercream. The cupcake recipes are something special also, like the Applesauce & Caramel, Honey or Almond and White Velvet flavors.

The ideas in Zombie Cupcakes are pretty spooky, with lots of body parts and gore with piping gel "blood". Little mini brains are placed on top of honey cupcakes in Brain Food. A green zombie hand emerges from the cookie "dirt" in the Zombie Rising cupcake. There's even "poison" cupcakes like the Toxic Bite (red velvet), Biohazard ingested (key lime) and the T-Virus (blue banana).

"Know your zombie" mini-tests and zombie tips are scattered throughout Zombie Cupcakes and add a little extra fun. If your friends and family like cute and creepy treats, then Zombie Cupcakes is the book for you!
on July 29, 2015
Its not bad and haven't had the chance to make anything but my aunt is having a halloween wedding so im making this for at her request the bride and groom