Zoom H6 Six-Track Portable Recorder
|Price:||$399.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Direct recording to SD cards up to 128GB
- Gain knobs, pads, and phantom power for each input
- Newly redesigned preamps with an ultra-low noise floor, up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in wav or MP3 format
- Multichannel USB Audio interface
- Includes: owners manual, SD card (2 GB), XYH-6 X/Y capsule, MSH-6 MS capsule, AA size LR6 battery x4, USB cable, sponge windscreen, cubase LE software, case
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
In the Box
The H6 comes with everything you need to create amazing audio.
- XYH-6 X/Y mic capsule
- MSH-6 MS mic capsule
- SD card (2GB)
- AA size (LR6) battery x 4
- Cubase LE Software
- USB Cable
- Operation manual
The Zoom H6 Handy Recorder
Change the Way You Think About Recording… Forever
Zoom''s flagship H6 is the most advanced portable recorder ever. It utilizes a system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lenses of a camera and comes with both X/Y and Mid-Side stereo mics.
Great for live recording as well as studio-quality music production, the H6 offers six tracks of simultaneous recording and four mic/line inputs.
- Uses a system of interchangeable input capsules
- Includes detachable stereo X/Y and Mid-Side capsules
- Six tracks of simultaneous recording
- Records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards up to 128GB
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Four mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with dedicated volume control, selectable phantom power, and -20dB pad
- Requires just four standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries (over 20 hours of operation with alkaline batteries)
How Do You Want To Record Today?
The H6 is the most versatile portable recorder ever, which means it can handle virtually any kind of recording job, from live concert recording to location videography, from electronic newsgathering to music production.
The XYH-6 allows you to do stereo X/Y recording and provides dual large diaphragm mic elements with adjustable width—choose 90 degrees for a more focused sound or 120 degrees for a wider stereo image. It''s great for recording classical music and for capturing sound effects in the field.
Step up to a whole new level of precision sound-shaping with the MSH-6, which contains a forward-facing, unidirectional mic (the “Mid”) and a side-facing, bi-directional mic (the “Side”). In conjunction with the H6''s onboard MS decoder, it allows you to capture a fully mono-compatible stereo image that can actually be adjusted after recording—ideal for film, video, and television projects.
Available Capsules and Accessories (Not Included)
SGH-6 Shotgun mic capsule
Get all the pickup with half the length by connecting an SGH-6, which adds a professional-quality, highly directional shotgun microphone to your H6. Three elements, combined with digital signal processing, give you the highly directional pickup power of a conventional shotgun in a unit only half the size, making it optimum for recording dialogue and narration with no intrusive mic in the scene.
XYH-5 shockmounted X/Y mic capsule
The advanced XYH-5 provides dual matched unidirectional condenser microphones housed in an advanced shockmount to minimize vibration and handling noise—ideal for location videography and broadcasting/podcasting. In addition, the XYH-5 is designed to handle extremely loud sounds, making it the perfect choice for capturing the sound of live rock concerts and for electronic newsgathering (ENG) applications.
EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo capsule
The EXH-6 adds two more mic- or line-level inputs to your H6, allowing you to connect up to four discrete signals from external microphones, instruments, mixers, or portable music players and fully realize your creative vision.
APH-6 Accessory Pack
Professional hairy windscreen
Wired remote control
AC power adapter
Professional hairy windscreen
Wired remote control
AC power adapter
|Number of inputs||4 (expandable to 6)||2 (expandable to 4)||2|
|Uses interchangeable capsules||Y||Y||N|
|Provided microphone(s)||XYH-6, MSH-6||XYH-5||Built-in X/Y Stero|
|Maximum SD card size||128 GB||32 GB||32 GB|
|Separate line out||Y||Y||Y|
|USB audio interface in/out||6/2||4/2||2/2|
|Battery life (Alkaline)||20 Hrs||15 hrs||6-10 hrs|
Top Customer Reviews
I have been a long term user of the H4n and I swore by it in the field to record solid audio for my DSLR video work as well as quick mix downs when doing live audio recordings for my business. This device was a godsend when it released and I have been using it for years. I always thought, how could you make it better than it is today, and the H6 addressed all of my issues that I had.
* The mic pre-amps in this device are far superior to the H4n. The noise floor is lower and my post work after shooting video with my DSLR is much better, the audio sounds warmer and clearer and it appears that the signal is a lot cleaner at low dBs
* 4 channels of XLR right out of the box! I love it! Now I can do a backup recording or record 4 XLR's at the same time! I can't tell you how many times I would have loved to push up the pre-amp just a bit to drive out the noise but I couldn't becuase of clipping. Now this is not a concern as you have individual compression on each channel and the ability to do a dual recording with a backup with less gain.
* Yes this does fit in the H4n SKB waterproof case. As soon as I got the device, I pulled the H4n out of the case and put this right into it, with all of the accessories with no problems. The H6 without the mics attached is exactly the same size as the H4n
* The gain dials are smooth and a perfect addition. Much better than the push button gain control on the H4n
* Pad switches right on top. Perfect
* Full Color Display is way better on the eyes and great in low light, and now the display dims to save battery versus turning off the backlight completely.Read more ›
You see, I've been to the dance before and been less than impressed. I've owned a number of portable recorders through the years, knew enough about how to operate them to be dangerous and still didn't know what some of the buttons were for. Getting the unit out of the box caused deer in the headlight syndrome with fundamental questions such as "how do I turn the thing on" and then after finally figuring out how to run it, getting audio transferred to my computer without it seeing a blank SD Card...which has happened with some other "great", "foolproof", "easy to operate" and "drop dead outstanding" recorders. (I'd have about as much success landing the Space Shuttle).
None of the above is true of the Zoom H6...it truly is amazing...and yes, this one really is built well and is so easy to use I probably could hand it to my wife and she'd figure it out...which is saying something as she complains that such things "don't like her".
I've owned a number of fairly higher end hand held audio recorders.Read more ›
First, the good. It starts up fast, the microphones sound pretty good, it can record lots of channels, with phantom power.
The things that need improvement:
1) the knobs are too easily bumped. The H5 fixes this with a bar across them. But on the H6, you'll find you can too easily change record levels by bumping the knobs.
2) as others have noted, every single file records into it's own folder. This is among the stupidest things I have EVER seen in a recorder.
3) more than that, if you switch to another group folder, the recordings names start over, and you find yourself with IDENTICAL named files in different folders. Again, really poor file management.
4) there is not enough gain on the recorder, recording ambiences, you have to turn up the mics all the way to get really usable gain. My little Sony M10 has way more gain and is thus much more usable in a way.
5) battery life is nowhere near advertised. I'm getting around 7 hours of use on a set of batteries. This is fine, good enough for me, but nowhere near the advertised level.
6) the wind protection that it comes with is abysmally inadequate outside. Even with a furry wind cover, the recorder is VERY susceptible to wind noise.
7) it's also very prone to handling noise. Any movement of the hand tends to record a 'bump'. What a drag. We'll see if the shock mounted H5 mics are any better.
But still it's a promising recorder. If you were recording music indoors, then it might be the perfect recorder for you.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Such good sound.....it delivers great quality. I use this in combination with two sony a6300's and the audio from the device is just fantastic. Read morePublished 1 month ago by amazonbuyer22
Back when the Canon 5D ignited the DSLR video revolution it quickly became apparent that the new crop of film producers and directors would need to learn how to capture... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Roger Jennings
The H6 loads so quickly compared to the H4N and while there are many other differences, the combination of the fast-startup and the dial used for input volume (as opposed to the... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Kindle Customer
Amazing recorder. I am very pleased with my purchase. I will be using it to record my live band and also for some small studio work. So far, I am very pleased.Published 2 months ago by Auto.Pilot
All the reviews I saw on Youtube indicated that this would be a wise purchase and so far it is. I haven't really run into anything I don't like about it. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Steve Summers
I was greatly amazed by what this little device here could do. I just love it.Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Wowzers. What an incredible tool! The h4n is probably the defacto in portable recorders. The H5 was an improvement but the H6 raises the bar to a whole 'nother level! Read morePublished 2 months ago by Tech Geek Reviews