Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Zoom H6 Six-Track Portable Recorder" and save 20% off the $349.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Zoom H6 Six-Track Portable Recorder
|Price:||$349.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Direct recording to SD cards up to 128GB
- Gain knobs, pads, and phantom power for each input
- Newly redesigned preamps with an ultra-low noise floor, up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in wav or MP3 format
- Multichannel USB Audio interface
- Includes: owners manual, SD card (2 GB), XYH-6 X/Y capsule, MSH-6 MS capsule, AA size LR6 battery x4, USB cable, sponge windscreen, cubase LE software, case
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the manufacturer
In the Box
The H6 comes with everything you need to create amazing audio.
- XYH-6 X/Y mic capsule
- MSH-6 MS mic capsule
- SD card (2GB)
- AA size (LR6) battery x 4
- Cubase LE Software
- USB Cable
- Operation manual
The Zoom H6 Handy Recorder
Change the Way You Think About Recording… Forever
Zoom''s flagship H6 is the most advanced portable recorder ever. It utilizes a system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lenses of a camera and comes with both X/Y and Mid-Side stereo mics.
Great for live recording as well as studio-quality music production, the H6 offers six tracks of simultaneous recording and four mic/line inputs.
- Uses a system of interchangeable input capsules
- Includes detachable stereo X/Y and Mid-Side capsules
- Six tracks of simultaneous recording
- Records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards up to 128GB
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Four mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with dedicated volume control, selectable phantom power, and -20dB pad
- Requires just four standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries (over 20 hours of operation with alkaline batteries)
How Do You Want To Record Today?
The H6 is the most versatile portable recorder ever, which means it can handle virtually any kind of recording job, from live concert recording to location videography, from electronic newsgathering to music production.
The XYH-6 allows you to do stereo X/Y recording and provides dual large diaphragm mic elements with adjustable width—choose 90 degrees for a more focused sound or 120 degrees for a wider stereo image. It''s great for recording classical music and for capturing sound effects in the field.
Step up to a whole new level of precision sound-shaping with the MSH-6, which contains a forward-facing, unidirectional mic (the “Mid”) and a side-facing, bi-directional mic (the “Side”). In conjunction with the H6''s onboard MS decoder, it allows you to capture a fully mono-compatible stereo image that can actually be adjusted after recording—ideal for film, video, and television projects.
Available Capsules and Accessories (Not Included)
SGH-6 Shotgun mic capsule
Get all the pickup with half the length by connecting an SGH-6, which adds a professional-quality, highly directional shotgun microphone to your H6. Three elements, combined with digital signal processing, give you the highly directional pickup power of a conventional shotgun in a unit only half the size, making it optimum for recording dialogue and narration with no intrusive mic in the scene.
XYH-5 shockmounted X/Y mic capsule
The advanced XYH-5 provides dual matched unidirectional condenser microphones housed in an advanced shockmount to minimize vibration and handling noise—ideal for location videography and broadcasting/podcasting. In addition, the XYH-5 is designed to handle extremely loud sounds, making it the perfect choice for capturing the sound of live rock concerts and for electronic newsgathering (ENG) applications.
EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo capsule
The EXH-6 adds two more mic- or line-level inputs to your H6, allowing you to connect up to four discrete signals from external microphones, instruments, mixers, or portable music players and fully realize your creative vision.
APH-6 Accessory Pack
Professional hairy windscreen
Wired remote control
AC power adapter
Professional hairy windscreen
Wired remote control
AC power adapter
|Number of inputs||4 (expandable to 6)||2 (expandable to 4)||2|
|Uses interchangeable capsules||Y||Y||N|
|Provided microphone(s)||XYH-6, MSH-6||XYH-5||Built-in X/Y Stero|
|Maximum SD card size||128 GB||32 GB||32 GB|
|Separate line out||Y||Y||Y|
|USB audio interface in/out||6/2||4/2||2/2|
|Battery life (Alkaline)||20 Hrs||15 hrs||6-10 hrs|
The Zoom H6 Handy Recorder Change the Way You Think About Recording… Forever Zoom's flagship H6 is the most advanced portable recorder ever. It utilizes a system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lenses of a camera and comes with both X/Y and Mid-Side stereo mics. Great for live recording as well as studio-quality music production, the H6 offers six tracks of simultaneous recording and four mic/line inputs.
Top Customer Reviews
The included microphones are pretty good as well. I used the M/S in a pinch to record vocals for a song and the artist said the final product sounded better that any studio session she's ever done.
This paired with a few lavalieres and a shotgun condenser microphone you can make a movie.
So I'll give you the main value points I've personally found in Zoom H6...
- Record (up to) 6 tracks simultaneously at (up to) 24-bit / 96 khz resolution, with a low noise floor and good pre-amps (amazing for a $350 hand-held recorder)
- The included XY head ("capsule" shown in the picture) provides a very transparent and natural recording - maybe not on par with your nice condenser mic, but not too far behind either (haven't tried the included MS capsule yet)
- With the optional XLR capsule, you get 2 more dedicated input channels, each of which accepts 1/4" (TRS) and XLR cables (note: the XLR capsule does not provide phantom power, so only 4 inputs w/ phantom power are available)
- Threaded insert (metal) on the backside for easy mounting on a camera tripod (light stands, etc.)
- Fast startup - ready to record in under 5 seconds (arm the tracks you want to record and go)
- Fairly easy to navigate menu system (still not something you want to do in a pinch, on-the-fly)
- Separate headphone AND line out jack (both mini stereo jacks) with separate level controls, which is VERY cool to have!
- Built-in speaker to quickly check your recordings (not hi-fi at all, but functional)
- Has a very solid and professional "feel" in your hands
- Also functions as a DAW audio interface (via mini USB connector) but it only supports 2 channels in/out at a time (not all 6) and it's limited to 16bit/48k throughput (which is still great quality, but the recorder itself supports up to 24bit/96k)
And in the interest of fair and balanced reporting, I have a few minor frustrations...
- There are no detents in the rotary gain dials, and no way to "lock" them once set, so they are easy to bump and unintentionally change the recording levels
- The built-in compressor is not too good, the limiter is so-so, though both are marginally adjustable (3 settings for each) I would agree they are "functional" but not exactly "smooth" or "transparent" - if you must use them, try to get by with the limiter first, then compressor as a last result (better still, if possible, adjust your recording setup so as not to need these)
- Would be even more magical with basic channel effects (reverb, chorus, etc.) and a few overall effects (normalizing, mastering, etc.)
- 1/4" inserts are pretty tight (IMO) which is good for ensuring a "solid connection" but it makes me a little anxious when inserting / remove cords (maybe they will loosen up just a bit with continued use)
- The included plastic case is sorta cheezy IMO - functional but no extra room - at this price point, I expected something a little nicer with room to accomodate a few additional accessories (depending on your use of the unit, this will likely be something you upgrade)
And finally, my personal wish list for a future (firmware?) upgrade...
You've heard of a band-in-a-box, well the Zoom H6 is a studio-in-your-hand...ALMOST. I say "almost" because all it needs is an firmware-infusion of basic studio effects (reverb, mastering, etc.) and the ability to "bounce" real tracks to virtual tracks (and keep stacking recordings, based on SD card capacity) - at which point this would literally be a self-contained, battery powered, digital, multi-track studio-in-your-hands!!! (and if it were controllable by a mobile app via bluetooth...OMG)
Even so, the H6 is an amazing piece of equipment as-is for ANY home-studio recording enthusiast, or capturing live performances, and an equally solid field recorder for videographers.
Not exactly inexpensive, but if you're looking for THIS type of thing, it's worth every penny.
On a side note, even though the manual states that the device only allows for 2 tracks when used as an audio interface with iOS devices, I was able to access all of the tracks from AUM on my iPad by running the H6 in Windows / No Power Mode.