Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 280 reviews
on November 21, 2014
I'll admit that I hadn't heard of Zooropa, as I was a casual U2 fan before. I started going through their entire discography, and can say that I was missing out on some of their best work. Just because it isn't mentioned alongside Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree, does not mean it isn't worth a listen. Here's a brief track by track review:

1. Zooropa - Starts out slow with some static, but once it gets going, it's crazy how different the sound is from other U2 songs. It's very relaxed, but the instrumentation is rather electronic, which gives it a fresh feel. The last 2.5 minutes of this song are amazing. I really like this song, and it serves as an excellent opener for the album. (5/5)
2. Babyface - I've seen that a lot of U2 fans don't care for this song, but I quite like it. It's not one that I would just put on, but within the context of the album, it's not one that I want to skip. I really like the chorus, especially the last part of it. (4/5)
3. Numb - This is probably the most un-U2 song there is, but I think it's a neat change of pace. Edge is pretty monotone, but it serves the song well. The bizarre choppiness of the guitar also is neat. Bono and Larry also provide some nice backing vocals toward the end of the song. A weird song, but a good one. (4/5)
4. Lemon - This is by far my favorite track on the album. A mix between Eno-esque electronics, Talking Heads type harmonization, and David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) type guitar licks. Bono's falsetto is also a nice change of pace. This track clocks in at 7 min, but I wouldn't have it any other way. A haunting song that really stands out and is probably in my top 10 U2 songs ever. (5/5)
5. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - This is my 2nd favorite track on the record, and it's one of the more traditional U2 songs in terms of style and delivery, but that doesn't make it any less special. Bono's brief falsetto in each chorus is really great. Edge's guitar is on point, but it's his backing vocals that make the song a great one, especially at the end of the song ("Oh oh oohhhhh!"). This is a really special song. (5/5)
6. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car - This song is really bizarre, but it's grown on me since my first listen. I really don't know what I like about this song, but I find myself thinking about it a lot more than I thought I would. (4/5)
7. Some Days Are Better Than Others - This song is quite subdued at the outset, but there's a tropical sounding explosion at the chorus, and the chorus is really good despite the lyrics being so basic. I love the whole beachy vibe the song gives though. The tribal-sounding drums and the odd tropical twang of Edge's guitar are just awesome. (4/5)
8. The First Time - A song that sounds like it's straight from side 2 of The Joshua Tree (my favorite U2 album), I really like this track. The song's chorus has a piano focus which I really enjoy. The song really doesn't sound like anything else on the album, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. The ending is really amazing, too. (4/5)
9. Dirty Day - A bit of a dud, at least in my view. The song really goes nowhere, and the instruments sound poorly mixed. I don'r care much for this song. (3/5)
10. The Wanderer - I didn't look ahead when listening the first time, so I was quite shocked when I heard a voice other than Bono's singing. However, Johnny Cash serves this song quite well. I still think it would be better with Bono singing (there's a live performance tribute to Cash where Bono does a fantastic job on lead vocals), but I still love the sound of this song. The lyrics really shine on this song too, especially the line: "They say they want the kingdom, but they don't want God in it." I love that. The bass is also really well done, but I've read it's a synth keyboard, but I still like it. A nice closing track to a great album. (4/5)
on September 21, 2017
I know...U2 wanted to branch out and do something new and exciting and maybe it is to some listeners. It does have a few tracks worth hearing but overall it kinda sucks. Good for background noise when you don't care what's on.
on June 10, 2017
10 stars.
on January 6, 2005
U2 have always been a strong, passionate band with a lot of strong, passionate songs, and they certainly contributed to the soundtrack of my youth, especially junior high & high school. But despite such great songs as "New Year's Day," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Pride (In The Name Of Love)," "With Or Without You," and all the rest, I just hadn't liked them *enough* to wanna buy their albums. Maybe it's because Bono & the boys have a tendency to wear their political opinions on their sleeves, which I've always found to be a slight turn-off. Nonetheless, I can listen to their stuff on the radio just fine, and it's very cool that they're still rocking 25 years after they first started.However, one of my few forays into buying U2's music is this outstanding album from 1993, "Zooropa." Although I do acknowledge the great songs that are on other U2 discs like "Boy," "War," "The Joshua Tree" and all the others, "Zooropa" was the first U2 album to blow me away so completely that I simply HAD to go out and buy it. Recorded inbetween tours, with no real intention of making an actual album, U2 went into the studio with industrial producer Flood and avant-garde keyboard wiz Brian Eno to work on some experimental tracks. The sessions went so well in fact, that a mere two months later, the band had completed a bold, daring, brand-new album unlike anything else they had ever done before, both musically and production-wise. "Zooropa," in my opinion, is the most exciting, adventurous album U2 have ever done (with "Pop" a close second, though that's another review). The band practically re-write their sound with this one, serving up a platter that mixes the group's rock sensibilities with techno, industrial, and even art rock. And it works magnificently. I love all of these songs, from the space rock of the title track to the experimental "Numb" (with guitarist The Edge taking the mike in a monotone vocal performance that fits perfectly with the song's vibe), from the giddiness of "Lemon" to the beauty of "Stay (Far Away So Close)," from the industrial toughness of "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" to the perfect pop-rock of "Some Days Are Better Than Others." And, for the big finish, lead singer Bono steps aside to let country legend Johnny Cash sing the final song, "The Wanderer," before the album finally gives way to siren sound effects & stops. Now how cool is that? WAY cool.I guess I'm what you'd call a "twisted" U2 admirer, as my two favorite U2 albums---"Zooropa" and "Pop"---are the two albums that most fans say they like the least. Well, luckily for them, U2 went back to their "classic" sound with 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind." I joke to my friends that maybe when Bono & company recorded "Zooropa," they thought to themselves, "Let's make a U2 album that Alan will like." And I do like "Zooropa." A whole lot.
on May 18, 2004
Zooropa remains an astonishing abberration in the U2 catelog even a decade after its release because the band seems to have seemingly buried it - no one ever discusses the hits from the record, even though, at the time "Lemon" and "Stay" did remarkably well on the radio. It's a darker, more cavernous take on the sounds of Achtung Baby, and it might not be the classic that album is, but it does show a band just off the heels of a great reinvention proving to themselves why they're so vital. They're songwriting is perhaps the best it ever was, and the atmosphere doesn't drop for its ten songs - plus the Johnny Cash climax is just unforgettable.
on March 13, 2017
excellent!!! love it!!
on October 22, 2016
Best U2 in my opinion. Also appreciate Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, but Zooropa is my fav
on August 1, 2014
Not quite as creative as Joshua Tree, I think the actual quality of this album and the material on it kind of got overshadowed in its day by the huge circus of a stage production that went out in support of the product. It's still a worthy addition to any U2 collection.
on December 16, 2014
I always thought this album was terrible, until I listened through the whole thing (start to finish). It goes beyond "Numb" to somewhere fun and beautiful. I highly recommend this to any U2 fan, or anyone who truly loves music!
on October 27, 2016
My favourite album of theirs, and one of my favourites of all time.