Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

Zulu Dawn
Format: DVD|Change

on November 28, 2017
I remember wanting to see this a a kid, and my parents wouldn't let me stay up to watch, so I forgot about it --for over 50 years! Ha! I guess I am old enough to stay up to see it now! It really is an excellent movie.
on January 1, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies from the 1980's. I didn't even know it was still in print. It's a great movie about one of the worst defeats of a modern army by a native population.
on January 4, 2009
This DVD may well go in to the box with the other films I have purchased, and I will keep, but may never watch again. I had not seen the film before purchasing but I love the outstanding film "ZULU". So for that reason alone I ordered it. The film itself gets 3-stars. The transfer (from celluloid to DVD) gets a Zero. The quality of picture is poor - very poor. It is actually painful to watch on a big screen TV! Other reviews site how much of the original frame is lost. I don't know all the technical aspect but I don't doubt that they must be correct.
As I stated before, the movie itself gets only three stars. I believe the Producers and Directors must have watched the "original" Stanley Baker ZULU (battle at Rorke's Drift) and then left directly to shoot this film. It is a poor imitation. The movie even starts the same way with Zulu dance and song and a brutal death of a Zulu warrior on the King's whim. The missionary's not there but he shows up soon after. And believe me, there no comparison to any actor in this film to the job the young Michael Caine accomplished in the earlier film. Bob Haskins is a good actor but his role as a Sergeant pales in comparison to Nigel Green as the indefatigable "Colour Sergeant Bourne" -- a solider I felt I would follow anywhere after watching in the first film! Eventually the film gets "going" and the battle scenes that follow are good. As it was shot before CGI it is great to know that every person shown in the battle was really there on the set.
Comparing the two films is fair. This film was created in part to take advantage of the eventual success of the first film (which is of course about what happened "a day after" the events in this movie.) If one really wants to know about the disaster of Isandhlwana I might suggest a book rather than this film.
on August 8, 2017
Watched first, it goes nicely with "Zulu"...although I think "Zulu" is the better movie.
on May 28, 2017
Zulu Dawn is the real story of what happened! The British troops were defeated, they got their Butts Kicked, End Of Story!!
on October 31, 2015
Great movie. A 1979 move. Real people of course. No CG. Shot in SA near site but not on it. Crossing of the Buffulo River on location but the other way around. Some inaccuracies and artistic license but overall well done. BlueRay will provide a lot of behind the scenes info. A great "prequel" for the 1964 Zulu movie about the follow on battle at Rorke's Drift.
on March 23, 2017
Great cast of actors with true life back in the year 1879
on March 10, 2017
Good movie, no Academy award film but entertaining.
on June 5, 2016
Being a fan of the African war movies I thought this movie was a fair representation of British arrogance and ignoring the strategies that should be employed during warfare, especially when the foe is on home ground.
I have my doubts as to historical accuracy all the same, but, never let the truth get in the way of a good story, right ?
Still, it was a good movie and I have viewed it several times now.
on April 15, 2017
A very good supplement to the classic 'ZULU'.