Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zyliss Handheld Pizza Wheel with Stainless-Steel Blade
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Red|Change

VINE VOICEon February 17, 2008
The Zyliss Palm Held Pizza cutter is hard to fault. It's inexpensive, safe to use, easy to clean and just works without any strain. I can't find any reason to downgrade it from 5 stars. Check out the video to see how easy it disassembles for cleaning. It's longevity is the only unknown...looks plenty sturdy, though. The blade is sharp enough for tough crust, but not so sharp as to be dangerous when removing. One note: I was surprised how large this cutter is. My extra large hands make it appear smaller in the video. It's actually over 5-1/4" across the cover, and the blade is nearly 4" in diameter.

UPDATE: The hinge broke on this cutter while opening to wash. I still love the design. Maybe they could strengthen the hinge.
review image review image
55 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 7, 2011
USING
> The sharp blade will cut anything up to 1 1/2" thick, including pizza, dough, brownies, muffins, pita bread, thin sandwiches, etc.
> Since there is no handle, you've got much better leverage, particularly if you are standing and the pizza is on a normal-height table. I'm not sure I'd say that it is easy for the elderly with weak wrists (it can still take some force to break a crisp crust), but it is certainly far easier than standard pizza cutters, particularly if you keep it sharp. Folks with weak wrists could use both hands.
> To keep it sharp, it is best to cut your pizza (etc.) on a wooden or plastic cutting board---not on a metal pan. If you buy frozen pizza, then save the round cardboard beneath the pizza to cut it on.

HOW TO OPEN
With the "Zyliss" nameplate facing you (as in the photo above), grasp the tab on the right side with the thumb and forefinger of your right hand. Push up with your thumb, push down with your forefinger. (It's a twisting motion). The shell will pop open. Continue in the same direction (counterclockwise) to rotate the shell open. DO NOT try to pull the shell apart, it ROTATES opens on a short "axle" (on the left side, opposite the tab) like the hands on a clock.

HOW TO ASSEMBLE
With the shell fully open, grasp the blade and slide it into the slot in the bottom side of the shell (the side WITHOUT the Zyliss nameplate). Then rotate the shell closed.

STORAGE
To protect the blade from dings and your fingers from danger, it is best to hang the Pizza Wheel on a plastic hook by the 3/8" hole in the blade. Unfortunately the blade is non-magnetic, and so will not stick to a magnetic knife rack. If you store the Pizza Wheel in a kitchen-tool-drawer, then I suggest using the temporary flimsy plastic blade cover which is part of the packaging.

CLEANING
Disassemble, and handwash, or wash in your dishwasher. It is best to hang the blade in a hook or place it in a plastic basket to protect both your dishwasher rack and the cutting edge. According to other reviewers, dishwasher washing weakens the plastic shell so that it breaks after a year or two. I've used mine at least once-a-week for about two year, with no problems---albeit, I always hand wash it. I also suspect that it is primarily the drying cycle of dishwashers which actually damages plastic---indeed some dishwashers don't have drying cycles. Actually metal and ceramic dishes will usually dry fine without a drying cycle---it just takes a few more hours, and saves alot of electricity. So, you might consider turning the drying cycle off, if you have that option.

SHORTCOMINGS
The Pizza Wheel is large---about 5 1/2" across. If you are not good at visualizing how big that is, I suggest check out the size with a ruler. Don't buy it to save space, it won't

The smooth plastic surface can be slippery, and might be a problem in small weak children's hands. A pebbly surface, or raised lines would be easier to grip with wet or greasy fingers, but would be less attractive and not as easy to clean. The Zyliss Pizza Wheel is as safe or safer than any other pizza cutter---but ANY tool with a blade is potentially unsafe in the wrong hands. Note also that tools with dull blades are actually more dangerous than tools with sharp blades (because the extra strength required reduces control)---treat it like a fine chef's knife---keep it sharp---keep it away from small children. I can't believe it, but lawnmowers are now intentionally being sold with dull blades as a "safety" feature.

EVALUATION
Fits perfectly into the palm of an adult hand. Cuts almost effortlessly. Disassemblies and cleans easily.

PACKAGING PROBLEMS
The reason for the few less-than-five-star reviews is the "international packaging", which essentially excludes any meaningful instructions. The Pizza Wheel is very easy to use, easy to open, easy to reassemble etc., but is intimidating if you don't know how. A single wordless cartoon the size of a postage stamp does not constitute "meaningful instructions". I've seen other good products (such as laptop computer locks) getting awful reviews for the same reason---no meaningful instructions. Amazon should require meaningful English language (or English and Spanish) instructions on all the products they sell in the U.S.(but my bet is that Amazon REQUIRES international packaging---since everything I buy from Amazon comes in "international packaging").

If you love superbly designed kitchen gadgets (particularly if you are looking for a gift for cook), I suggest that you strongly consider a OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill; aZyliss Food Chopper, White aOXO Good Grips Mini Chopper, a Microplane Professional Extra Coarse Grater and a Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater (if you haven't yet discovered the joy of zesting lemons and oranges, this is the tool to learn with)

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask a question.
66 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2010
This pizza wheel has three things going for it. First, because you put your weight directly above the wheel as it's cutting, it cuts much more easily than traditional pizza wheels. Second, because it comes apart easily and can be put in the dishwasher, it's easier to clean than other pizza wheels. Finally, mine stayed sharp for years (until a friend borrowed it and ran it over metal pizza trays for an afternoon). What else is there?
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2010
I have owned 2 of these slicers, a white one and a red one. I love the look of this slicer as well as the ease of use and the way it fits your hand perfectly. I first saw this slicer being used by Alton Brown on the Food Network. It worked well for all the things he used it for, slicing pizza, herbs, noodles, pie crust, fudge, etc. The only thing it won't do is last longer than 6 months. Both of mine broke in the exact same place, right in the center where it supports the cutting wheel. When I got my second one I was extra careful with it thinking maybe I was too hard on the first one. It didn't matter, it broke in the same place. I wish Zyliss would build this exact same slicer made completely of stainless steel, I would pay $50 for it. Are you listening Zyliss? So now I must search for a new slicer, proably will have to settle for one with a handle so it will last.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2012
I purchased this pizza cutter for my 88-year old father who had his right hand amputated long ago. A nurse told me about a patient who used a pizza cutter to cut his meat, so I sent my Dad this one. He loves it! He says he is only sorry he didn't think of it years ago. Please pass on this tip if you know anyone who could use it.
on September 12, 2007
I used to adore all of my Zyliss stuff. That is, when their blades were made in Switzerland. Now, all of their products that I've seen are made in China. Quality suffers accordingly. I own the newer cheese grater because my gf and I broke up and she took it, but the new one is made in China. The roller blades don't quite fit as snugly.

Regardless, the primary drawback of this pizza cutter is cleaning. It is very dangerous to separate the plastic handle in order to access the blade for cleaning. The blade has also become dull after only about 15 pizzas. It still pushes through the pizza, but since I don't have a circular sharpening tool, it no longer slices through it. Decent product overall.
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2010
I will start off by saying that I only got one because I am a giant fan of Good Eats and Alton has busted this cutter out multiple times.

I've made a handful of pizza's, all different crust styles and this thing eats through them with ease.
I don't need to use nearly as much pressure as i've had to with other pizza cutters, I feel like I have a great deal more control and over all it just cuts really well.

Cleaning is a snap (no pun intended)..Snap it apart, clean the blade, dry it, clean the plastic, dry it, put it back together.
If anything happens to mine, i'll be getting another
on August 18, 2015
Bought this as a replacement for what I thought was the same Zyliss pizza cutter that finally (after years of perfect cutting) died on me but BUYER BEWARE this is not the same Zyliss I originally had. Definitely not what Alton would recommend!!! If you look closely at the images on the Amazon page you'll notice the good one has a larger "Zyliss" badge (in the last picture) and grey plastic on the cutting wheel. The inferior cutter (the one I received) has a smaller "Zyliss" badge and red plastic on the cutting wheel. The original Zyliss I had was probably one of my top 5 kitchen tools. My go-to cutter for quesadillas, brownies, anything that needed cutting. This latest generation I received isn't fit for my daughters play kitchen...
on October 22, 2009
Everyone who I know had this pizza cutter loved it. However, this pizza cutter was difficult to open to clean. When I twisted it open, the plastic holder broke, rendering it useless. Will seach for a different design. I was disappointed. I like my other zyliss products.
on July 14, 2010
We bought this cute little pizza slicer because we make pizza once or twice a week and were drawn to the ergonomic design. The fact that it takes much less space in the drawer is a big plus as well.

I'm sorry to say, however, that after 1 use it cracked on the hinge. We superglued it back together and were able to get 3 or 4 more uses out of it before it cracked again on the other side of the hinge and was no longer able to be salvaged. I'm not a very strong girl and am quite sure that the amount of pressure applied was average or below average. This product was a disappointment because we really were looking forward to having it, but we will go back to using our OXO pizza cutter that is metal all the way through and has continued to slice pizzas for many years. I'm sorry that I cannot recommend this product (really wanted to like it).