Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 8, 2016
Two things worried me when ordering my Sambas, recently: 1) all the reviews that said the sizing was either too large or too small compared to what folks expected; and 2) the squeaking (which is supposedly caused by the tongue rubbing against the inside of the shoes).

I normally wear a size 10 US Mens, and, in fact, have some other Adidas sneakers of that size that fit fine. So that's what I ordered for my Sambas, and I'm glad I did: they fit perfectly. The length and width are both just right for a size 10. Like my other Adidas soccer shoes (some turfs and some indoor, non-Sambas), these have almost no arch support and very little padding. I don't understand why Adidas can't or doesn't address this by simply adding a good insert. But whatever. They're still comfortable enough for me to wear all day ... and that's what I've been doing. (And I've gotten several nice compliments about my new Sambas, too.)

As for the squeaking ... it hasn't been a problem. Not yet, anyway. I've worn them a little more than 3 full days, which may not be enough, yet. But so far, the shoes seem to be softening and breaking in nicely, and there's not a hint of squeaking. Maybe as they age a bit more. But if that happens, I plan to just put a ton of leather conditioner on the tongue and the inside of the tops of the shoes, to try to make them more supple. I'll update this is they start to squeak eventually, and whether I'm successful addressing it. I'm hoping Adidas has already taken care of the problem and that that just hasn't yet been communicated.

So, overall, I'm very happy with my new Sambas. They look great. They're comfortable. They weren't that expensive. And (so far) they don't squeak.

UPDATE (4/17/16): I've had these sneakers about 2 months now, and wear them pretty much every day, all day. They've actually become my favorite shoes for all-around use, and they've gotten more and more comfortable as they've "broken in." As for squeaking ... there isn't any. None. And I haven't done anything to them to prevent any squeaks. So, it seems that maybe Adidas addressed the issue and fixed the tongues. I will admit the tongue seems like an odd material -- sort of a plastic-y covered foam rubber feeling. But it's not uncomfortable, and it doesn't squeak. Is it just the white ones like I have? Maybe. But I'm happy enough with these that I'm going to order another pair in a different color.
13 people found this helpful
on January 28, 2017
Been wanting some of these since I was a young boy.
Queen's Freddie Mercury's Samba trainers he wore for the Wimbley concerts along with his awesome yellow jacket have been in my heart for years lol, now I'm in love with my white Sambas. I have 2 pairs, ones I keep clean and white, and others I use everyday and will be my beat up white Sambas :)
And if you aren't so sure about these cause of the reviewed squeak/noise they make when you walk, I fixed this by putting a bit of baby oil on the squeaking parts. Quiet for about a month then reapply lol.

Buy yourself a pair you'll fall in love with 'em.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 15, 2016
Ordered size 10-1/2 because that what most of shoes fit as. These were the smallest 10-1/2's I have ever put on me feet. Sent them back and got a 11. They were a LOT bigger, seemed to far more than half a size larger. I finally put an extra insole on top of the ones glued in, and that filled out a lot of the space and made them a lot more comfortable to wear. They still seem a tad long, but oh well. What we do for fashion :-) And no, I don't play soccer and I'm not in a hip-hop group. But I like to WATCH the World Cup every four years, and my kids will go to soccer camp for the first time this summer. I wanted black leather sneakers and I love the Adidas stripe. Plus my wife worked for Under Armour for while and they are a-holes there, though they do make a comfortable running shoe, much more comfortable than these are. Though from what I understand these are still among the absolute best indoor soccer shoes.

The other negative about them is that one of the tongues won't break in. It either stabs the middle of my ankle or I have to slide it down to one side out of the way. OK, after all that I'm changing my rating from 4 to 3 stars. They look great though! And hard to beat the price for leather shoe that's been made for over 60 years. If only they still made them exactly the same way. They've replace too much leather with vinyl, which is the main problem with the tongue and why you pretty much have to wear them with socks. They don't breathe like all-leather.

Buy them and send them back if they drive you crazy.
2 people found this helpful
on November 12, 2014
Apparently there are two types of Sambas. I've always liked the look of the Samba, but when I've tried them on in the past I was always disappointed with the comfort. The "classic" Samba is a little narrower and has more aggressive arch support along with the longer tongue. The "original" Samba is a bit wider, flat footed and has a short tongue. Other than that, there are only minor esoteric differences. One minor problem I have is there is no "shoe lace loop" on the tongue. So, the tongue has a tendency to slide down to the right or left while walking. Tightening the laces usually fixes this.

I'd tried on the "classic" in the past, as it is usually what you will find in sporting-goods stores. I don't like them. I have high arches but prefer the feel of a flat footed shoe (think Chucks or cheap sandals). These feel similar, but have more tension in the heel. The added tension provides some comfort to your heel and, most importantly, keeps these shoes snug on the foot. Really, it takes a good amount of effort to get these off--they're not going anywhere.

Now...many people complain about the squeakiness of the shoes. They do squeak. It's like a rubber-on-leather sound that is mildly annoying and unpleasant. However, there are very simple fixes...shoe polish, sandpaper, tape... All I did was put some scotch tape on the tongue and my shoes are nice and quiet. Many people seem to be overreacting to this point...it's an easy fix and not worth totally ditching a perfectly good shoe.

These are my new go-to shoe for casual days. They look great and are very comfortable. I've had several people comment on them already. My only gripe is that I should have ordered a half-size larger. I wear around a 12 and that's what I ordered. These seem to run slightly small, or are meant to the tight, my toes often touch the front of the shoe. By the time I'd realized this, I'd worn the shoes for a few days and was unable to return them. But, I've grown accustomed to the snug fit and quite like them. Once the leather breaks, these shoes are very easy to wear all day. Once mine wear out (most likely in a few years or so) I will definitely buy another pair. Great shoes.
23 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I love the classic look of the Adidas Original Samba shoe. There is something about this shoe that gives it a classic look that seems to look good with pretty much anything you wear. In addition, this is one of the few shoes that I have worn that immediately people recognize. I think this is the Adidas version of Chuck's. I have had at least a dozen people mention my shoes by saying, "I love your Sambas, where did you find them." or "Sambas or my favorite shoes!" Either way they must make a statement.

When it comes to the fit, I have to say these are a normal size in length but a bit on the narrow size. I expected this so I ordered them a half size larger than y normal shoe and they fit pretty well. I do wish Adidas would break down and provide a wide version of their shoes so I could avoid by them a half size larger than needed. I thought about knocking a star for not having this option but the shoes are just to nice to do that. I have read that people complain about these shoes being squeaky when you walk in them until they are broken in but mine do not make any squeaky noises at all. I am loving these shoes. Especially since I am a soccer guy!
on November 4, 2016
Bought these Originals for my son along with the Classic. He tried both pairs on and actually prefer the Classic better for the soles are slightly thicker and the front of the shoes are slightly squarer and sturdier (he did the Michael Jackson tippy toe stand) as compared to these Originals EXCEPT the Classic's tongue are long and poked onto the front of his ankles. It bothered him, so he chose these Originals. I wrote a review on the Classics if you want to check it out. These shoes are great; comfortable, sporty yet hip and current. He wears them for band performance, for going out (non-school) and for the opera and symphony events. Paired with a pair of dark slim jeans, a crisp white shirt and a dark blazer, he looks casual hip/smart and not stuffy. As for the arch support, he always wears his Superfeet, so it's not an issue.At the moment, the Classics are slightly cheaper, but I had to return them. I like these Adidas styling so much I bought a pair of the Men Samba Leather for my husband!
on October 11, 2015
Toe on the shoes ripped within 30 days. I didn't even play any sports or any other activity other than daily walking. Seems like a knockoff product to me, as I wouldn't expect a genuine Adidas product to fall apart within 30 days. I contacted Amazon to see if I could get a replacement or something and they were of no assistance at all!
50 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 17, 2013
these shoes squeak like there's no tomorrow! the tongue and the inside of the shoe rub with each step and make the most obnoxious noise. i love sambas for doing legs day training because of the solid base but I can't wear these around they make way too much noise!!
29 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on October 20, 2016
This may sound like a review for shoes that I'm using for a niche hobby, but these are comfortable enough to do any activity in, including walking, running, etc.

These are some of the most comfortable shoes I've bought in a long time. I play pocket billiards at the semi-professional level. I play often and it's usually for several hours, sometimes in tournaments it's all day. In pool it's not simply getting up from your chair, walking to the table, and then shooting. Every single shot you make, you need to circle the table to double check angles and make sure your pattern to clear the table is right. When you do this for hours on end, it ends up being equivalent to walking several miles. So needless to say, sometimes after long sessions, my feet hurt, even with new shoes I've bought in the past.

I bought these specifically because they are both sturdy and flexible, which help me stay perfectly balanced in my pool stance, and they are ridiculously comfortable, and they stay comfortable the entire time. I am really happy I came across these shoes. I'm probably going to purchase a second pair in a different color since I like them so much.
on March 31, 2017
I have had Samba's for years - usually they last several years before the soles wears out. I only use these shoes for day to day use, but I walk quite a bit everday. I've always purchase the version of Sambas will a long tongue.

For my most recent purchase I decided to get these since they have a short tongue. They were great for about two months, same as all of my previous Sambas. Sadly, after the first two months, a hole started to develop in the leather above my left big toe. Since then it only has gotten worse and now my big toe is almost completely exposed.

I'll try getting Sambas again, but I'm going back to the long tongued version and hoping that this issue isn't a general quality problem with Sambas.
review image
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.