Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Is it appropriate for an 11 year old? Is it appropriate for an 11 year old?
asked by Pretty girl on April 3, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-20 of 59 answers
A
It always depends on the individuals personal preferences but I would say that by 11 a person has been educated enough through history and the news that they won't be shocked by anything in this series. I believe they will be able to benefit from reading these books. I don't think they are any less appropriate than Harry Potter. If you are still concerned I would recommend reading them to help you make a decision on whether or not they are ready to read it yet. I hope this helps :)
K answered on April 9, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, it is not for 18 and up. The intended demographic is 13-18 year olds. It appeals to a far larger range of people though. My 9 year old has been trying to read it. It's a little above her range at this point though. She did enjoy the movie.
Myles Baczynski answered on April 10, 2012
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
are you completly insane these books are aesome!!!
Kathy Kloske answered on April 14, 2012
Comment | 0 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Grisly violence done in a cynical style. 13 is time enough in my opinion. But as several commenters have suggested, read it yourself first. You know your child better than any of us do. :)
lb136 answered on April 16, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the suggestion for an alterntive, The ultimate Fantasy series by J.G. Cuff!
Mary E. Heins answered on April 17, 2012
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Geri Spaulding answered on April 17, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My 11-year-old daughter wants to read them. I will not let her read them for at least a couple of years. There is a lot of evil, graphic violence including psychological torture and the series as a whole is very depressing. I can't even say there's a happy ending, really. The author has created a depressing, troubled world and though changes begin an environment like that doesn't just heal in a few hundred pages. I was left pretty depressed and I just don't want my 11 year old to have to deal with that right now.
M. Dies answered on April 21, 2012
Comment | 1 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
@Myles - Yes is is a punishment and a statement of power, but it is also presented as the highest form of entertainment in Panem, akin to our Superbowl or World Cup.
seeker answered on April 21, 2012

A
Mary E. Heins answered on April 21, 2012
Comment | 2 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Very well stated!
Rose answered on April 22, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next ›

See all questions about this product