Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Dead Island - Xbox 360 forum

This article is making me think twice about this game!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2011 4:52:03 PM PDT
GJMartinez says:
Ok well ladies and gents I have read an article on Kotaku.com that is making me think twice about getting this game unfortunately it's bothering me. Here is the link for you to read and please feel free to comment on this matter.... http://kotaku.com/5829491/five-disappointing-things-about-my-first-few-hours-on-dead-island

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:28:08 PM PDT
G. DelTres says:
Well I'll admit I have high standards for any game I buy since I can't afford to shell out 60$ for every game that gives me tinglies in my tummy, and with that being said I was intent on buying Dead Island on day one but that article made me think twice. I was willing to forgive the super-generic characters in Dead Island. I mean Dead Island's characters make the Left 4 Dead characters seem like they came out of an oscar-winning screenplay.

What's the deal with the black dude from Dead Island who looks like Ghostface Killah's cornball twin brother?! I mean at least Luis from L4D had a hit single on youtube titled: 'Grabbin Pills,' and he didn't look like the stereotypical Black Guy. Then there's Coach from L4D2 who was basically a coach with a Shotgun.

I think I'll eventually play this game when I can get it for at least 20$ I'm crazy about killing zombies like the next guy, but I'm not so desperate to shell out 60$ for a game that has a couple of flaws that I think a game of this generation shouldn't have. One that came to mine was the reloading animation I saw from some gameplay footage of Dead island. For goodness sake when you reload a new magazine shouln't you TAKE OUT THE EMPTY ONE FIRST BEFORE PUTTING IN THE NEW ONE?!! What I saw in that gameplay footage basically reminded me of when a lil kid plays with a plastic toy gun that doesn't have a removable clip, but instead a clip that's already part of the gun. The hand made as if it was taking out the clip, but guess what, it didn't come out, it just remained there as he reloaded the IMAGINARY INVISIBLE clip like when kids play pretend.

Like i said I'm nitpicking, but I will if a game company expects me to pay 60$ for a game. I'll wait around for some more reviews and at least hope they release a demo for the game before it's released.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 6:20:18 PM PDT
GJMartinez says:
I agree with you G. DelTres 100% to just give a whooping 60$ dollars on a video game you would think the game you are purchasing should run smooth without any glitches and ESPECIALLY the reload issue LOL I've seen that video as well looks so bad!! But man this game does have potential I can definitely see it but I really don't know anymore... I guess we will wait for the reviews...

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 11:47:29 PM PDT
Alex Miller says:
If you paid any attention at all.. You would see that the reload animation is already fixed from recent videos.. I too, am having second thoughts. I think this game will be great, but I can see this game dropping in price fast..

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 4:54:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2011 5:02:24 AM PDT
Satoru S. says:
IGN gave it a good preview so did many other sites. go check those articles out. But none of these reasons are deal breakers. Its just dose not have that realism I expected. This picking this up to play with friends.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 7:48:14 AM PDT
Thanks for the link GJMartinez - that helped me make a decision - I am waiting for this one to sink to $20.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 1:20:11 PM PDT
I read the article and with all honestly I really don't care. The points the author made I thought were not a big deal breaker for me. I never base my decision about whether to buy a game or not on a review. I watch vids and listen to other gamers (mainly on gamefaqs.com) that have played the game. After I have done all that then will decided to purchase a game or not. Which that process has not failed me yet! lol Now if only amazon would get on the ball and give a better pre-order bonus.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 4:47:36 PM PDT
G. DelTres says:
There's no way I'll be buying this game on day one unless the feedback from the masses is stellar. I can wait until this game drops in price before I buy. As far as pre-order bonuses go, I might consider getting it if there's a pre-order bonus that includes Sam B's CD single(Lame ass rapper in Dead Island game with gaudy "B" chain) with the hit song "Who Do You Voodoo." That just might get me.

Seriously though the game might be worth the 60$ since I can actually hide from zombie mobs... BEHIND BEACH CHAIRS!!!!!! Haha charging zombie mob has to run around the beach chair to get me haha stupid zombie!

Ok all jokes aside, I really hope this game rocks! The idea is fresh because... IT'S ANOTHER ZOMBIE GAME!!! One that has the gimmick of an open world. Basically an open world zombie game is every zombie gamer's wet dream. The online Co-Op is another strong point of this game. All in all killing zombies with friends is like a party that never gets old. It will most likely achieve that. If the success for Dead Island is good, all the minute qualms we have about the game can be fixed with the inevitable Dead Island 2.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 4:33:50 PM PDT
You know this game is made by the same company that made CALL OF JUAREZ: THE CARTEL, right?

That has become the worst-reviewed game of this year, beating out even DUKE NUKEM FOREVER, with mediocre and repetitive gameplay, and terrible racial stereotyping of the characters that left a bad taste in the mouth. The Kotaku write-up of DEAD ISLAND indicates they repeated a lot of the same things CALL OF JUAREZ: THE CARTEL did, including repetitive and recycled gameplay and levels, terrible dialogue and racial stereotyping.

I actually played CALL OF JUAREZ: THE CARTEL through to the end just to see how bad it was. It's really, really bad. So unless DEAD ISLAND gets rave reviews, I'm not touching it.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 6:26:10 PM PDT
G. DelTres says:
Hmm... I'm going to read up on Call of Juarez... Maybe that's why it's already 19.99 at Best Buy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 7:10:27 PM PDT
D. Wells says:
IGN almost always gives good previews to games, otherwise they wouldn't be able to plaster 80% of their page with the ad. Then when it comes out, they give the same game a mediocre review. Rarely do I ever give IGN's previews much weight.
Game still looks good though.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:00:19 PM PDT
M. Brown says:
he played the demo of the game.they will fix most of the glitches in the game.still getting it.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:00:58 PM PDT
M. Brown says:
he played the demo of the game.they will fix most of the glitches in the game.still getting it.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 8:31:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2011 10:05:07 AM PDT
Satoru S. says:
Day one buy for me, But I really hope it doesn't suck as well, 'cuz its actually got quite a few things in it I really like. Unfortunately, the Polish developer Techland has mastered the fine art of sucking for the last 20 years, & that gameplay video brought up some serious concerns. Why would they make that guy at the beginning of the video sound like he's from Spongebob Squarepants? I'm expecting this game to get a 7 or 8 at this point. I may be wrong, but it seems like it's probably gonna be riddled with bugs & glitches, have a terrible story, & frustrating gameplay mechanics. If Techland can't even get a simple shooter right, what makes us think they're gonna perfect a shooter/melee/RPG combo... with zombies? Either way, it looks like this might atleast be their best game to date, which isn't saying a whole lot. Lets cross our fingers

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 9:53:17 AM PDT
RoadKing says:
How in the hell did you get through Juarez? I rented it and it was so awful. Props to you for sticking through that pile of crap.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 10:14:02 AM PDT
JL says:
@Asian movie connoiseur
But Techland also made the other 2 Call of Juarez games that had mostly positive reviews. Waiting for reviews/demos/rent is a smart thing to do with ANY game, but to assume a game is going to be bad because a particular developer had 1 bad game, or thinking the game is going to be great because they had 1 great game is not the smart thing to do.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 1:16:14 PM PDT
Fred Roach says:
Its made by Techland and Published by South Peak two of the worst companies in the business. And neither know anything about Zombie games I look for this game to be a crappy knock off of L4D and Dead rising and both are A+ games. This game will blow. My opinion!

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 9:57:02 AM PDT
JL says:
South Peak isn't publishing it, it is Deep Silver.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 11:09:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 18, 2011 12:35:20 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 12:04:08 PM PDT
Satoru S. says:
yeah its deep silver .

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 10:25:39 PM PDT
I made the decision to play JUAREZ to the end to see how bad it was, and see how the story played out.

The answer to both was "really badly".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 10:27:15 PM PDT
You really should wait for the reviews before you buy this one. My concern is that all the demos of DEAD ISLAND I've seen have way too many similarities with JUAREZ.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 10:01:59 PM PDT
GJMartinez says:
Thanks to everyone for your great feedback I really appreciate your thoughts and expressions on this game. Whether this game will be any good or even have a decent review it's still yet to be seen. This game has great potential I mean who doesn't like to bash zombies especially in an island sounds great to me. Let's hope Deep Silver comes through with this game. I personally haven't played Call Of Juarez The Cartel I've only seen game footage on youtube and I take your word for it Asian movie connoiseur you sir are correct, the game just looked really bad but I did like the swearing I have to admit lol. We will keep our fingers crossed for this one big time!

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 5:32:44 PM PDT
G. DelTres says:
I think I'll wait for Rockstar's inevitable zombie sandbox game "Dead End," which will finally give us zombie afficianados what were looking for: a zombie game with a great story, fun gameplay mechanics, tons of secrets to discover, realistic zombies that only die from head trauma or burning, and lastly, a revolutionary zombie game focusing on actual survival throughout the game.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 11:20:29 PM PDT
Alex Miller says:
You know I had it pre-ordered and such, but I am smelling a price drop.. I still think it will be a cool game, but I got wait because I will be pissed when in a month this game is $30.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Island - Xbox 360
Dead Island - Xbox 360 by Deep Silver (Xbox 360)
3.8 out of 5 stars (467)