Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Using your gift card balance may now require you to enter your credit card number even though your balance may be greater than your order total

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2011, 5:02:46 AM PST
magistrate says:
When I attempted to place an order on Amazon that would total slightly less than 99% of my Amazon gift card balance, I was unable to do so.
When I placed my cursor over the continue button, I received a message saying "Your gift cards or promotional codes do not cover the full cost of your purchase, please enter another form of payment to continue." I could see from the order total and gift card balance listed that this was incorrect. Since one of the items in my order was a Lightning deal, I needed to quickly solve this problem so I canceled an item I had preordered and completed this order. I then attempted to reorder the item I had preordered and received the same message even though the total was 99.99 and the gift card balance was $101.49. I had Chosen Super Saver Shipping on both orders, and both had Massachusetts as the shipping address so there was no sales tax.
I then contacted Amazon customer service by chat and found out the reason. Amazon now requires you to enter your credit card when your order is over $60 and the total is 60% of the gift card balance. This policy change is not listed in the terms and conditions on their website and I never received notification of the change.
It appears I will need to if I am to continue to make purchases on the site. While this is not a significant problem for me, I imagine it will be a substantial burden for those without debit or credit cards who purchase Amazon gift cards so that they may shop online.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011, 10:08:50 PM PST
OriginalCyn says:
That's a terrible policy change. I wish I'd read this before purchasing two amazon gift cards, because I wouldn't have bought them. I certainly won't buy them as gifts in the future. Thank you for the information.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012, 2:42:15 PM PST
I agree it is bad policy. I wanted to purchase gift cards for my young granddaughters to purchase things on the Kindle Fires they are receiving for Christmas. They do not have a credit card to submit, and then don't have the fun of doing it themselves!

Posted on Sep 15, 2013, 9:29:10 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 15, 2013, 9:30:35 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 15, 2013, 3:25:18 PM PDT
Candy Jones says:

Posted on Sep 16, 2013, 10:11:00 AM PDT
Bryan says:

Posted on Sep 16, 2013, 4:30:35 PM PDT
( ) says:
So, get a pre-paid Amazon card- they do not have any extra fees,
like pre-paid vanilla visa cards do. And, you will be covered.

Posted on Sep 16, 2013, 4:55:41 PM PDT
magistrate says:
What do you mean by a prepaid Amazon card? As far as I am aware, the only cards Amazon issues are gift cards, which obviously would not solve the problem. The buyer would still be unable to fully use the value of the gift card balance. In any case, my post was from more than a year and a half ago, and the restriction may have been lifted since then.

Posted on Sep 16, 2013, 7:24:19 PM PDT
R. Jensen says:
I don't think this happens to everyone. I paid most of my christmas shopping last year with gift cards. I had no trouble useing them all up and paying the rest out of my pocket. Odd that you would have to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2013, 7:48:17 PM PDT
magistrate says:
I agree it was very odd. I actually found the transcript of my chat from when I inquired about it. The bizarre thing is that the person I was speaking to seemed to be oblivious that it was problematic to enforce a policy that had not even been announced yet.
You are now connected to ____ from Amazon.com. Me:I am having trouble using my gift card balance to pay for items on Amazon. When I attempted to check out, I was unable to pay with my gift card balance even though my total, including shipping, is less than my balance. I am shipping to a state that does not collect sales tax from goods sold online. I had to cancel an item I had preordered so that I could have a high enough balance to be allowed to check out. Now, I am attempting to re preorder the item and I am having the same problem, I am unable to pay with my gift card balance even though my total, including shipping, is less than my balance. ____:Hello, my name is ____. I'll be happy to help you. Me:ok ____:I am sorry about this. Please allow me a moment. Let me check this. I request you to please place the order and I'll edit the payment method. Me:I am unable to place the order. It says I don't have enough of a balance for me to be able to do so even though it says my balance is 101.49 and the item is 99.99. I also don't have my credit or debit card with me right now so I can't add them to make the order proceed. ____:Please place the order using any card I'll edit the payment method now. Me:As I said, I don't have my credit or debit card with me right now. If Amazon will not let me pay with my balance, I cannot place the order tonight ____:, please allow me a moment. Me:ok ____:May I know the address where you want to ship this order?. Me: ____:I got the reason there is no credit card in your account. I request you to please add a card in your account and then you can use this I assure you we'll not charge your credit card. But this is necessary for authorization only. Me:As I have already said, I do not have my credit card with me. I already placed an order tonight without this problem, and I had preordered the item before without any problems, but had to cancel it so my order tonight would go through. Why do I need to enter my credit card for authorization? ____:This is verify your account that this order is placed by the real person or the correct person. This is for your account security purpose. I request you to please add one does not matter there is balance or not. Me:yes, but my question is why do I need to enter it today, when I have not had to enter it before, including earlier today. I don't think any of the gift cards I have received before have specified I needed to enter a credit card to use them. ____:You can add the card when you want to place the order. This is not specific that you have to add this before. Me:I do not mean that I needed to enter a credit card to enter the gift card code. I mean that I don't think the gift card terms and conditions specify that I need to enter a gift card to make use of the balance on them. regardless it still does not explain why i didn't need to enter a credit card number to make an order go through previously and it does not explain why i was able to make the order I placed earlier tonight go through by canceling the order of the item I am now attempting to reorder. ____:This is because of the order total if the order total is 60% of the Gift card then there is no Credit card required. Me:but I was able to purchase items previously that were more than 60% of the total gift card balance. And the terms and conditions here http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=3122091don't make any reference to this policy. what you are saying would make it impossible for someone to ever fully use their gift card balance without using a credit card because at some point the item they are buying would be 60% or more of their remaining balance ____:I am sorry but this is amazon policy and this will apply more then $60.00 order. If I would place this order then the system would not allow me to do this. Sorry for inconvenience. Me:but your policy is not specified in the terms and conditions of the gift cards. You cannot have a policy like that that without notifying people. Where is the policy posted? ____:I am sorry about this. I'll pass this feedback to the concern department. Me:how do I file a complaint? ____:I've already filed this. And you will see these changes soon. Me:what changes? ____:The same on the help page or the policy related changes. Me:but you can't hold people to policies you have not posted yet ____:I am sorry but system would not allow me to do this. Sorry for inconvenience. Are we still connected? Me:yes ____:Is there anything else I can do for you today? Me:no ____:Thanks for visiting Amazon.com. We hope to see you again soon. Goodbye! ____ from Amazon.com has left the conversation.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013, 8:34:50 PM PDT
Robert says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2014, 8:06:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2014, 8:07:05 AM PDT
John Galt says:
What I shame of them (Amazon). I won a gift card, wanted to buy a book. But it turns out that I cannot just buy this particular book, cause it is 60% of my gift card value.

Posted on Apr 10, 2014, 9:20:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 30, 2014, 10:23:02 AM PDT]

Posted on May 17, 2014, 10:18:52 AM PDT
I entered $30 worth of Amazon gift cards that I got for Mother's Day-it wouldn't allow me to use the whole balance of the cards for my order-it only credited $26 worth upon checkout. I opted not to place the order and decided instead to save some items for later, then went in and attempted to order an mp3 album. It won't let me use the gift cards, which I entered into Amazon so that they would already be there. I love Amazon, but it's stupid that I can't use my gift cards to pay for the equivalent amount in merchandise-isn't that the whole point of gift cards?

Posted on Jun 6, 2014, 3:24:48 PM PDT
when i enter a gift card code it tells me i already use the code when i just got it

Posted on Jun 11, 2014, 1:11:09 PM PDT
Jacob Coite says:

Posted on Jun 30, 2014, 5:49:15 PM PDT
carolina says:
My brother tried to purchase a ps4 game and he just added $60 of amazon gift cards into his account and when he tried to press the "finish payment" button, it wouldn't let him. Can someone explain here, my brother is getting really frustrated right now

Posted on Jul 19, 2014, 2:37:56 PM PDT
Ashley says:
I just discovered that if you try to order off of for example, amazon.co.jp or amazon.fr, with a gift card, it won't allow you to make any purchases. So any attempts from a foreign amazon will unfortunately not allow you to use your gift card.

Posted on Jul 21, 2014, 2:44:52 PM PDT

Posted on Dec 17, 2014, 5:45:45 PM PST

Posted on Mar 4, 2015, 10:55:15 PM PST
So did I just waste 25$ on a gift card I cannot even use? I don;t have any credit or debit cards! This is some freaking load! This is 25 bucks that is going to float on this account forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2015, 12:35:40 AM PST
Min says:
Where do you get your promotional codes?

Posted on Mar 13, 2015, 12:32:52 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 10, 2017, 8:25:48 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 14, 2015, 1:33:01 AM PDT
Emily O. says:
so, when i go to place an order, amazon says "please enter your payment option to continue." however i already have a gift card balance in my account and it's even checked off in the payment options. What gives amazon??
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  48
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers