Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Stone's Fall: A Novel forum

Are any of the bankers and instituions based on real people and persons before WWI?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2009, 8:22:11 AM PST
I was fascinated with this book and hope that someone can pinpoint if any of these characters are based on historical figures of the time. Possibly someone with good history background of the period can tell the book's audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2009, 3:29:04 PM PST
Page Turner says:
The person who came to mind was Sir Basil Zaharoff, a shadowy character who was an arms dealer before and after WWI and who died in 1936. You can google him to find out more.

Posted on Jun 13, 2010, 7:50:13 AM PDT
I don't know about the financial shenanigans involving war profiteers, but the story of the CSS Alabama is totally correct. It was in fact built by Lairds in Great Britain without armaments and christened with another name. It was then shipped off to some island in the Atlantic and fitted out with armament and re-christened the "CSS Alabama". Also, it's true that after the war, the victors sued the British Gov't and won $15M in damages (calculated as the equivalent of $125M in today's money). International maritime law was changed because of this suit. If you want to read more, do a wikipedia search of "CSS Alabama" and "Alabama Claims".

So that much is based on fact, I have no idea about the purely financial shenanigans but some of it didn't really ring true. For example, I doubt that the Brits wouldn't have been able to figure out that Stone was financing a Russian ship building operation in the far east of Russia.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Stone's Fall
Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (Paperback - 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars (196)