Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > NOS4A2: A Novel forum

Has anyone besides me received defective books? I've received 2 now; both have jaggedy saw tooth edges and warped pages; I'm awaiting a 3rd book.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2013 1:01:05 PM PDT
Jill Moore says:
Has anyone besides me received defective books? I've received 2 now; both have jaggedy saw tooth edges and warped pages; I'm awaiting a 3rd book.

Posted on May 7, 2013 1:51:26 PM PDT
Mine was fine; you may have just gotten the short straw.

Posted on May 7, 2013 2:02:18 PM PDT
It depends on the seller. I haven't ever received a book in that condition. Email the seller, ask for a refund; make sure you have proof that it was their fault in sending defective product.

Posted on May 7, 2013 2:52:47 PM PDT
M. Archer says:
I buy Kindle, butt its not unusual to get jagged cut on mass book marketing sites.

Posted on May 9, 2013 10:27:29 AM PDT
Ellen Etc. says:
The warped pages could be a bad run from the printer, or they could have gotten water-damaged somewhere in transit. Jagged edges, on the other hand, are called "deckle edges" and are considered nicer than straight-cut edges. I've also seen books with entire missing sections ("signatures" of, say 16 pages that are all sewn together to make the book), and those misprints can also run in batches.

Posted on May 22, 2013 3:54:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2013 3:55:13 PM PDT]

Posted on May 24, 2013 12:52:44 PM PDT
Jill Moore says:
Thank you Nathan! This is something I've never heard of and I've been buying books since 1972 and have a library of over 800 books. I do have other books like this but never wondered about it until now. I really thought it was defective and since this was a book I knew I would read multiple times I wanted it to be perfect. Thank you for educating me, and hopefully others who didn't know this! Though both books were definitely warped in a tilde ~ shape so I'm hoping my third book won't be. Again, thank you for helping me. Jill

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 6:49:11 AM PDT
I think the sawtooth pages are meant to be a stylistic choice. Mine is the same. I think the author wanted the pages to be ragged. I've read other books like this.

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 1:29:39 PM PDT
The "saw tooth" pages are what they call a deckle edge. Just a fancy cut that unfortunately makes the book thicker and cost more. My copy did have this and you see this frequently in nice hard cover editions. Kind of a collectors thing really.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  NOS4A2: A Novel forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  May 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
NOS4A2: A Novel
NOS4A2: A Novel by Joe Hill (Hardcover - April 30, 2013)
4.4 out of 5 stars (2,571)