Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on March 1, 2016
At first I gave this book 3-4 stars, but at that point I was a serious kook beginner and it seemed overdone. Now I've grabbed my first green waves and he's spot-on. It's a fun, quick read, worth it for anyone who wants to surf. This book will not teach you how to surf. Nothing can except you trying your heart out to learn. This book will better prepare you to learn, though. If you're an experienced surfer, you'll enjoy his take on your favorite activity.

I guess I'd disagree with some of the things he says, like his hate for soft tops for beginners, but otherwise he's right on. He just needs a little bit of editing help but that's ok.

To the author: I'm at Linda Mar as much as possible, hit me up if you want a fresh set of eyes on any work to catch any grammar/spelling errors. Or if you want to paddle out with a semi-kook.
on October 9, 2013
If you plan on surfing read this book. Especially if you're a beginner! It's precise, and an absolutely no BS detailed ideaology on getting in to surfing. There is a chance it may rub you the wrong way in that the author describes some of the pitfalls of surfing culture. As harsh as they may seem, know they are true! Surfing is a peculiar sport. Follow the advice given on dealing with it. I surfed for years, moved inland and recently decided to pick up surfing again as well as SUPing. This book is the best advice I never got when I was learning to surf years ago. Its all the things you ordinarily only learn by trial and error and dealing with a lot of douche bags. Like many sports that attract D bags, ie surfing, climbing, road biking, and the like, and yes I do all these sports, and I work very hard at not being that guy. These sports tend to be individual sports that can be done with others. Follow this authors advice, stick with the sport, in this case surfing, and it will truly yield something spiritual to you. Its is absolutely worth the BS of being a beginner. Surfing is truly a spiritual, one could say religious experience. This book gets you started, and its money well spent. Walt
3 helpful votes
on March 7, 2013
This book feels like a god send because at the rate Ive been learning it was only gonna be a matter of time before I drown because each time I go out it keeps getting more dangerous. It's written in the only format that can get through my retarted brain because there's a curse word on just about every page to keep u interested. I just started surfing a month or 2 ago and have been so reckless without even knowing it. It's only been 10-15 times and almost drowned 3-4 times because I have no idea what I'm doing. Tomorrow morning when I go surfing, I know that I'm not gonna die after reading this book. Who knows, I really could have died. Thanks.
-Update: I still might die just like anyone learning to surf but my chances are a lot lower. I've been having a lot more fun since I read this book the first time and it definitely improved my knowledge of the ocean. Thanks again.
on January 7, 2013
I was searching for the perfect Christmas gift for a friend who is an enthusiastic yet sometimes dangerously inexperienced surfer, so downloaded a sample chapter. After several laughs that woke up my sleeping girlfriend I had no choice but to purchase the whole thing. It is a hilarious and often brutally honest introduction that will prove invaluable to people getting to grips with the art / sport / lifestyle that is surfing.

I finished SURF NAKED! in two days and I'm sure Jacob Ray's brash and lyrical prose, wit and intimate subject knowledge will keep you entertained and equally enthused. It's intelligent, fun and full of tough love that seriously will help you avoid the worst kook mistakes... I've surfed all my life and still got value from the book.

Thanks Jacob.

Brad, Author of Surfing Life Waves
11 comment|Report abuse
on October 25, 2014
Good, easy to digest material. It was a breath of fresh air to also see someone who recommends not subjugating yourself to self-important jerks in the water. Practice proper etiquette (don't drop in, snake, etc.), but make sure that you're paddling out with your head held high.

The only thing is this: I really don't feel it's necessary to spend an entire year in the whitewater. There are plenty of safe, uncrowded areas that'll allow you to catch unbroken waves if you look hard enough. They won't be the most desirable peaks, but it'll be better than riding the whitewater straight to the shore for a full year.
on January 11, 2012
I've read a couple of "learn to surf" guides but this one was really fun. To start with, you could tell it was written by someone who surfs. He gives a lot of good tips about not just surfing but how to deal with locals on the surf break. My favorite part of the book was the suggestion to keep a surf journal. I had never thought of this and that is a great way to track your progress. 4 sentences Dr. Jacob! I am 50 and have said over and over again that I'm going to "learn to surf", I've bought the board, I have a wetsuit. This book has rekindled my interest in getting off my lazy rear and "kooking it up". Plus, it was a fun read, just like all the good docs books. Keep writing! I need more to read...
11 comment|Report abuse
on July 3, 2013
I'm a beginning surfer at 59 years old and am glad to have found this little gem which takes about an hour to read. Direct, irreverent, hyper, encouraging, cautionary and helpful - it's packed with relevant tips that issue forth from the author like a gusher. He wants you to succeed, and he is going to tell you everything he knows about surfing, which is a lot, in one hour.
Maybe not for everyone due to the profanity and frantic style, but I was amazed at the things this guy imparted to me about surfing in a 99 cent Kindle edition book. There's no substitute for getting out on the ocean, and this he says over and over again. There's inspiration here and a caring, guiding spirit. Can't wait to read it again.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on April 23, 2015
I was a skeptic when I saw the title but also when it was linked to surfer girl's surfer diet book which I thought tht was one of the most questionable surfing books I've read, but this book is the real deal. Easy read + great advice for newbies. I will probably read it again.
on August 8, 2012
This is a response to the comments on my first review, which led to the ire and chagrin of the author and others who then went on to personally attack me and defended their attack because no-one who lives in Arizona could possibly be able to efffectively comment on a book written about surfing. And, of course, as I have NEVER surfed, that surely disqualifies me to comment. Attacking someone based on where they currently live, without knowing a single thing about the person reflects an immature evaluation of the critic. So let's move on.

Let's remember the premise of the book: to teach NON-SURFERS how to surf. So I'll try it again.

First review: "I enjoyed reading the book, albeit a bit brief, and as a non-surfer looking to get into the sport I was appreciative of his advice, but the book really isn't worth more than the 99 cents I paid for the Kindle version." So, my interpretation of what I wrote (and intended) was that I acknowledged the author's well meaning intent and I gave appreciation to his advice. I never wrote that his advice was unsound in any way.

Second review: The book is written in plain and simple language. After reading the book, as a non-surfer, I think that the premise of the book, that by reading a book you can learn how to surf, is flawed. Certainly you will learn about how to learn to surf, but reading the book in itself fails to teach anything. Reading a book about surfing does not a surfer make.

Certainly, the author is congenial in his simple prose and he recognizes and acknowledges this basic problem. Having offered that, though, I think I could have learned as much in reading a single article about "how to surf" than I got from reading too many pages filled with fluff about surfing politics. I admire the author's knowledge and intent to want to teach we kooks, but until and unless a kook gets in the water, this book fails to teach anything.

In my original comment I suggested that the book wasn't worth more than the 99 cents it was purchased for. I stand by that comment. And, finally, someone commented that my star rating was generous, or somethng like that. Indeed, it was. I put three stars because I believe that the author's intent is to attract kooks to the wonderful sport that it seems. I'll keep the three stars to honor the author's integrity in his purpose.
22 comments|Report abuse
on May 10, 2013
Good surf starter book. Get's your head into it. But it is about as bare bones as it could get. Before easy publishing this thing would have been called a surf "Zine". The guy has knowledge and passion though. So it is worth a read.