Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

buying a Kindle book for someone else

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 268 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 29, 2011, 7:35:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2011, 7:39:24 AM PST
Come on Amazon; get moving on this. It seems from the suggestions in the posts that there are a number of ways that this could be arranged. I thought it would be easy to send a book to my son's kindle but it looks, from the above, as if it isn't possible in this country (UK). If I send him a gift certificate he'll only squander it on unsuitable reading material ;)

I was only just being won over by him to the new possibilities of e books but this has blunted my enthusiasm somewhat.
Looks like I'll just have to send him an old fashioned printed copy like I used to.

Incidentally, Fuddam, I couldn't agree with you more about people not reading or not understanding the previous posts. I'm 71 and not particularly conversant with the way these things work but even before I got to your posts I had worked out that those who said they could gift books were from the USA and those from the UK couldn't.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012, 3:51:36 AM PST
I am SO disappointed that you cannot buy books in the UK for someone else's Amazon Kindle. I bought the Kindle for my wife this Christmas - she was so overcome that she cried with joy when she opened her present. Today (the first opportunity we have had following family issues over the Christmas/new year break) we sat down together so I could buy her some books to read on it - and find that there is no option for me or others to buy her the books she has on her wish list. If I'd known that before hand, I definitely wouldn't have bought it. No ability to buy others Kindle books in the UK? That's a deal-breaker Amazon.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012, 10:47:22 AM PST
John says:
I don't think people are thinking this one out. If YOU can put books on other peoples kindles, anyone who has access to an email account (the way the amazon accounts are identified) could do the same. Including advertisement companies spam sites, crappy books I don't even want to see, inappropriate books I don't want my child to see. I much prefer the system as is.

I have a Nook simple touch and a Kindle Fire (and an iphone yay for three different ecosystems) for the nook I know my wife's password (or can just pick up the nook itself) and buy the books if I want to give her a gift. Gift cards are easy enough from both amazon and B&N to put on either account and download content...I do not want and would dislike random books being pushed on either device even if they were from friends....they can send me an email link and a gift card. If they do provide the service (I can see where it could be helpful for parents or such in other cities) I hope they include a way to turn it off...completely..I never want to see a message that reads "Random Publishing Group has sent you a free gift" when I turn on an ereader.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012, 11:09:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012, 11:16:49 AM PST
I got my wife a kindle for Christmas. We set it up on my own kindle account - that way we can both read any of the books that either of us buy. You don't have to download all the books to both kindles - they are all there on your kindle account, and you can send them to either kindle (or to other devices - android, iphone, PC, mac...). I think there's a limit to the number of devices.

Of course, this works with a spouse, close family member, or whatever; but wouldn't be suitable for giving books to others. As I said in my earlier post on this:

"I can see that people should be able to choose NOT to have books downloaded to their kindle without their agreement - the amount of space on the kindle is not unlimited, after all (though of course you can have the book on your amazon account without having to have it on any particular device); or they may have an objection to the book I wanted to give them.

"So they should be able to choose not to receive it.

"As a giver I would like to have the options of saying, if they don't want the book -

"- they can decline to have it, and the money I've paid for it will return to my account;
"- they may choose to accept a gift certificate to the value of the book instead.

"This really should not be difficult for amazon to implement. "

Posted on Jan 4, 2012, 8:04:18 AM PST
sk says:
in case you don't already know, there's a way to buy ebooks as gifts for someone else. you just need the recipient's personal email address. see http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_T1_1-3?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200555070&qid=1302470267&sr=1-3 for details.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012, 8:09:27 AM PST
That is the case at https://amazon.com. There is no "Give as a Gift" button if you use amazon.co.uk.

http://peterenglish.blogspot.com/2012/01/giving-kindle-books-as-gifts.html

Posted on Jan 9, 2012, 9:22:22 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2012, 9:23:13 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 22, 2012, 5:00:10 PM PST
I just found out that I can't purchase and send a book to my Niece's Kindle. If I buy it on my account and pay for it on my credit card I don't know why the digital book can't go to her device instead of mine. Isn't this the digital age?

Posted on Feb 2, 2012, 6:51:28 PM PST
Lissa Boles says:
I'm with many - my gift card was the best idea cause I wanted to choose my book for myself (and all the $s went to Kindle purchases).

And folks, I totally get offering constructive criticism to help companies better serve us but name-calling and slandering? Really? Wasn't cool in the school-yard when we were five, and it's even less cool now.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012, 6:35:04 AM PST
jazzdude says:
Seems so obvious that if you have a book on your wish list someone else should be able to buy it and have it sent to your Kindle. Of course it is possible technically but Amazon must have some stupid air-headed reason for not implementing this functionality, probably to do with covering their arses from some equally air-headed law or other.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012, 11:13:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012, 11:20:27 AM PST
Chiari Girl says:
Ummm....you can definately gift books to other people's Kindles. Amazon solved this problem back in 2010. Here's the link if you want it! You just need the recipient's personal email address. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_T1_1-3?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200555070&qid=1302470267&sr=1-3 for details.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012, 1:19:53 PM PST
Laurence says:
And if you buy a kindle for a kid you are stuffed as you can not manage their account for them. I can set up my credit card details on their Kindle! I called Amazon about this and their response was a kin to we really don't care. Amazon have really not thought things through

Posted on Feb 14, 2012, 2:47:12 PM PST
jazzdude says:
@chiari girl - you may be able to on amazon.com but you certainly can't on amazon.co.uk I've tried.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012, 2:58:46 PM PST
Normandygal says:
For about the tenth time - YES you can in the STATES, NO YOU CAN'T in the UK!!!!!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012, 3:15:07 PM PST
jazzdude says:
That's what I just said isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012, 12:40:28 AM PST
Normandygal says:
Sorry, I was replying to Chiara Girl!

Posted on Feb 15, 2012, 1:25:59 AM PST
jazzdude says:
Oh.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 12:10:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 9, 2012, 12:11:10 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 12:16:12 PM PST
Andrew says:
You can buy a digital book as a gift for anyone and send it to their email and all they do is download the book.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012, 12:21:24 PM PST
Fuddam says:
Michael: which part of this thread didn't you read? Let me guess: the parts that state it's possible to buy digital books for someone else in the States, but not in the UK, hmmmm? Gooooood. I was right first time!

Posted on Mar 17, 2012, 1:39:48 AM PDT
Jax says:
I have a book purchased from amazon in my iPad kindle app, and would like to give that book to someone else to read. I have paid for that book so why shouldn't I lend it to someone else as I would do with a paper book?

Posted on Mar 19, 2012, 12:34:04 PM PDT
Fuddam says:
Jax: because that would deprive Amazon from making another sale, and you surely, surely, surely wouldn't want to do that, right?

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012, 11:20:21 PM PDT
Susan says:
I published my book Golden Apples inn Silver Settings today and was very excited to share it with my friends who owned kindles. I was very surprised, like most of the persons who commented here, that the functionality was lacking. E-reading is in its infancy but that will be short lived. It would be great for Amazon to capitalize on the potential market share and be a leader. My kindle is my new bff and would like to have freinds send me books as gifts. It's more of a surprise than getting the gift card and shopping for books myself. All the same, I'm delighted that my ebook is on Amazon. Susan Harris

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012, 3:31:10 PM PDT
De says:
Ready 2 Retire has a great idea! Now I just have to get my daughter's login and she will definitely get a book! :)

Posted on May 6, 2012, 8:38:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 6, 2012, 8:38:58 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  167
Total posts:  268
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - June 23, 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars (5,919)