Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Price:$48.99+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 135 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 146 reviews
on January 9, 2013
I don't understand why there are reviews complaining about this not supporting a heavy camera when the product description clearly states it's used only for "small, lightweight" cameras. Works perfectly fine with my GoPro.

Pros:

-Lightweight.

-Black matte finish that looks well with the GoPro.

-Has a tripod thread adapter on the bottom-side to easily screw in a tripod/monopod .

-Conveniently has 15-minute intervals (along with the range of degrees) marked off on the side to help measure the length you want to record.

Cons:

-Feels super cheap and fragile in my hands. Other than the metal threading for the tripods, this thing is all cheap plastic.

-Creates a loud ticking noise, which makes me feel like I paid for an kitchen timer.

-Smaller than I expected.

-Over priced.

Also:

-Packaging could of been way better. Arrived in a flimsy box inside of a packaging envelope. Not to be bias towards the product, just a bad choice on the sellers part. Would have preferred in a more secure box to be shipped in.

I've only had the Camalapse 3 for a day. If you plan on using this with your GoPro, you'll need a tripod mount. Which you can pick up for ~$5 on eBay. I plan on taking it out in the wild and testing it's endurance within the next week.

Overall, it does it's job. I wanted a product that could perform time lapse for me, and this does it. For how long, though? We'll see, and I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.
on January 20, 2013
I have been able to use this 8 times now for various scenes (music fest, landscapes, beach, traffic). The panning is smooth, so smooth it can be used in video mode.

Unit is durable, quiet and well made, and small enough to fit in my daily gear bag. I take it everywhere!

Used with Canon S95, GoPro Hero 2, GoPro Hero 3 (black)

Took this on a 7 Day Caribbean Cruise, we were not able to make it to the beach as planned, but I did mount the Camalapse on a small tripod with my GoPro 3 Black. Was able to get some incredible shots with the panning motion, and the time lapse feature of the camera set to 1 second.
on June 12, 2013
There's not much I can say about this item. It does what it's designed to do. Zero complaints. It requires a minimum of 20 characters so I'm going to keep typing until it lets me go.
on May 9, 2013
While this certainly will not rotate a DSLR with fat heavy lens, it will do point and shoots and gropro camera perfectly. Which is what it's made for. You -can- do smaller DSLRs like a Canon Rebel and a small kit lens like a 18-55 with no battery grip. But that will be the limit.
on December 20, 2013
1. I like the fact that it has 1/4 20 threading and it's metal, but the weight of the cameras it can hold don't need it. This is only strong enough to hold a gopro, as it stalls when I try point and shoot cameras - this is something I could do with my old kitchen timer.

2. This is definitely a kitchen timer with a new shell. I was hoping it would be noiseless as then I could catch the audio with it, this is impossible on or off camera. I was in Costa Rica last week and filming wildlife. Both the gopro and my h4n recorder sounded terrible with an annoying click throughout the film. Especially in the gopro, it was crazy loud and sounded much louder than the noise around. I would need to move the external recorded too far away to be easy, or film the background audio after the timer has stopped. As I am using this timer for b roll film, it would be a benefit to be able to record audio simultaneously and save time. This also annoys anyone who is in the area....

3. Quality of this is lower than my old kitchen timer, and although it looks better, I am concerned with longevity. The top and bottom pieces have a fair bit of play between them, and it seems cheap when turning. On the website it says you can flip this upside down to record left to right panorama shots, but I am concerned it will not hold the weight when hanging.

4. Panorama shots are right to left as a standard. This would have been easy to fix, and from a communication view we read things natively from left to right, and when filming for projects left to right seems more natural to us. If the standard was left to right and then flip it upside down to get right to left it would be a little more useful to me, as it is more work every time I want a panorama. This shows that they didn't really make the product, just bought kitchen timers in bulk and put a shell on them.

Overall, I feel that something like this is useful, but compared to a kitchen timer at 8 dollars I would stick to that if I had one, not that this is bad, but with minimal modification, the 8 dollar timer would be better.
on March 11, 2013
I purchased a Camalapse a few weeks back, and couldn't wait to give it a try. In my test runs so far, I haven't been as impressed as I anticipated. I have only put my GoPro Hero 2 on it, and ran a couple of test runs, or spins I should say, and I've noticed on a few occasions it doesn't complete the timed cycle, and stops about halfway through. I've had to give it a slight turn in the direction it was headed, and then it starts ticking/turning again on its own. I don't think my Hero 2 weighs enough for it to struggle in its revolutions. I don't have time to hover over this little device during time lapse captures, anticipating it getting hung up again. It's a novel tool to have in my gear bag, but not quite as effective as I had hoped it would be.
on December 7, 2013
I have been very excited about a timelapse timer/device that is compact and has a tripod mount. I finally bought this one.

The camera I am using with it is the new GoPro Hero 3+ (weighs less than Hero 3) with either the skeleton housing or the bare frame.

I've experienced problems where the timer will stop midway through and needs "help" completing its cycle. The ticking noise inside also doesn't always sound consistent. Sometimes it sounds as if it is about to slow down or is getting weaker, and then it returns to normal again.

My camera weighs only about 4 or 5 oz. (including housing).

Still, this device works fine more often than it does not.

*BONUS*

I gave this an extra star because it also has tripod threading on the bottom. That means you can mount this on a tripod or a clip with a tripod mount and stick it anywhere. You're not just limited to leaving it on a flat surface somewhere. That is pretty darn cool. And that right there makes this better than using the turning kitchen timer that people here have been trying out.
on March 1, 2013
Using to do motion timelapse with GoPro 3. I actually made one of these out of a cheap egg timer. I upgraded to this since I will be using with clients and want a clean design not the DYI look. Thanks for such a great product.

Also side note* DSLR users, this will not work very well because of the weight. If you have a small point and shoot camera that does timelapse it will probable work fine.
on January 30, 2013
The camalapse works exactly as expected. I use it with both my iPhone/GLIF and my GoPro. I have seen other reviewers say it doesnt work with heavier cameras but I guess they didnt read the description. It is light weight but well made with metal pieces on the top and bottom for my Joby gorillapod.
on January 27, 2014
I splurged and paid too much money ($29) for this glorified kitchen egg-timer after I had already successfully made my own panning time lapse device out of an old-school egg-timer. The reason I bought this one is for simplicity and easier to use and mount the GoPro on. However, right out of the box, mine will stop ticking/turning after no longer than 15 seconds.

It is very dissapointing in that I was looking forward to something that actually works like it is advertised to do. I do not recommend anyone to get this. I just purchased an Ikea flat egg timer that looks basically just like the Camalapse without the threads (male or female). GoPro flat sticky mount will mount right on top.

I understand and realize that there aren't hardly any other reviews that complain about the same thing I am, so knowing my luck, I got a lemon. I even put my GoPro Hero 3+ (lightest weight GoPro to date) in the frame mount. Still no luck.