YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning nerdculture nerdculture nerdculture  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2009 1:06:11 PM PST
lipabanana says:
please help, I got my phone a week ago and I can't make the GPS work. I am using t-mobile prepaid with no data plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2009 2:14:40 PM PST
From what I understand, this phone is factory set to "a-GPS", or assisted-GPS, which means it needs to use data from the network. Find your settings and set it to use just regular "non assisted" GPS. This phone will work as a standalone GPS, but it is not factory set to do so! Hope that helps!

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 9:11:36 AM PST
I use my nokia 5800 without a SIM card and the GPS works okay. It takes awhile for it to get a lock without A-GPS, but if you get the maps booster application which uses you wifi to get a lock, then the actual satellite GPS locking time is much faster. I'll play with it more after Christmas. It's a present for my wife (well for both of us really:)). The GPS location settings are under the location/places icon in your applications menu. There you can set what methods it uses to get a lock.

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 9:07:35 PM PST
hey...can u please tell me which maps booster application to get so that my GPS positioning is faster...it currently takes like 10-15min to lock my GPS location...that is really annoying...:(

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 8:06:13 PM PST
S.Y.T. says:
I got my GPS to work, but after the first set of directions, a menu pops up - saying connection required to enter store - Yes or No. I have tried clicking both options. And then the navigation stops after that. By my current position was still being tracked as I driving. If anyone has any insights to this, please advice. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 12:14:18 PM PST
Chinna says:
Guys, do you know whether 5800 music or 5800 Navi edition phone is better? Please help me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2010 9:53:22 PM PST
Hank says:
If your Nokia 5800 is a regular edition, Voice turn-by-turn navigation guidance while driving is a premium feature, where you need to go to the online store to purchase a license.

If your Nokia 5800 is a Navigation edition, the license should be preload in the device. If it continues to ask you to enter store, it either means the license on the device is corrupted or the the license was not preloaded in the device. Call Nokia support center for help.

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 4:30:20 PM PST
lipabanana says:
Well, I was able to use the GPS feature, very nice. It even worked in Mexico!!! Of course I'm not paying for a data packet, so the phone takes around 5-8 minutes to acquire the satellite signal, but it works eventually. I found some Catholic apps that I lust after, but theyy're for the iphone, I was wondering if they can work on the 5800 or if there is a way to make them work. Thanks,
pd/Hank, do you have a fan club? I want to be in it.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 9:37:07 PM PDT
smallphi says:
I haven't gotten the phone yet but read somewhere in the reviews you have to update the map software to the latest version and then it's free - will stop asking you to purchase license.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 22, 2010