Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Which Fifty Shades characters were which Twilight characters in the Master of the Universe fanfiction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2013, 5:15:11 PM PST
...hmm? says:
I have the obvious ones worked out:

Ana = Bella
Christian = Edward
Kate = Rosalie
Elliot = Emmet
Ethan = Jasper
Mia = Alice
Grace = Esme
Carrick = Carlisle
Jose = Jacob
Ray = Charlie
Carla = Renee
Paul = Mike
Bob = Phil

And I think I have these characters worked out as well (although I'm not sure):

Leila = Victoria
Jack = James
Taylor = Tyler
Lily = Lauren/Lauryn/whatever that mean girl's name was
Claire = Jessica

Which Twilight characters were the other characters (such as Elena and Dr. Flynn)? I've been trying to find a list but can't seem to. :\

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 8:20:51 AM PST
W.Westphal says:
You got the list nailed, I am not sure about the others, but I could if a thought about it a bit. LOL, we should bump this thread up whenever a fangirl insists that FSOG is original.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013, 4:35:13 AM PST
Frankie says:
Because it's not common knowledge that 50SoG started out as a fanfic or anything.

The reality is that most people know and DON'T CARE. They don't share your OPINION that it isn't original.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013, 12:31:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013, 12:34:04 PM PST
Southpaw says:
Even though I couldn't bear to read the rest of the Twilight series (I've only read the first two), I knew right off the bat that it's a Twilight rip off. I had no idea prior to reading Fifty Shades of Grey that it started out as a fan fiction, but after reading it, I knew it was a Twilight rip off. Ana is identical to Bella! I've only wanted to slap two female characters in my entire life. One was Bella and the other Ana. If anyone has read Twilight, then they'll undoubtedly know that Fifty Shades of Crap isn't original. It's so transparent! If I were the author, I wouldn't be so smug (and a whole lot embarrassed - with that atrocious writing and horrible characters - ugh).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013, 6:10:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013, 6:11:06 AM PST
Frankie says:
Fine, so you don't like the books. I get that, they didn't live up to the hype for me either. The point is, the EL James never denied the origin of the books, and it was common knowledge from the get go. Some people take issue with the fact that she is making money from something that had an origin as fan fic. All I would say to them is: "Fine, if you don't think that making money that way is copacetic, then don't do it." The reality is, it was legal, she did it, she made lots of money from it. I don't understand some people's need to try to prove why she didn't deserve the money; picking apart every thing she says and does to try to prove that she is an evil person. They do that to Stephenie Meyer too. The reality is that both women are average, well adjusted people who saw an opportunity and took it. The fact that they neither one are extraordinarily talented or paid their dues as writers before becoming successful doesn't mean they deserve to be vilified.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013, 8:19:48 AM PST
Southpaw says:
I have a problem with books that glorify abuse, especially when the target audience (such as in Myers' case) are mostly malleable teenagers. Fifty Shades of Grey and the Twilight series both unapologetically glorify abuse. The wonderful thing about being an author is that you can create beautiful characters, and I'm disgusted with the fact that both authors chose to create a character that doesn't have a backbone and is flat-out pathetic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013, 8:59:13 AM PST
W.Westphal says:
"They don't share your OPINION that it isn't original."

Oh my, I'm crushed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013, 9:09:52 AM PST
W.Westphal says:
"The point is, the EL James never denied the origin of the books, and it was common knowledge from the get go."

Funny, as she tries to avoid the topic in interviews, and she has tried to purge the net of all records that MOU even existed.

"The reality is, it was legal, she did it, she made lots of money from it."

Not news.

"I don't understand some people's need to try to prove why she didn't deserve the money; picking apart every thing she says and does to try to prove that she is an evil person. They do that to Stephenie Meyer too."

Hmmm, tell me Frankie, how many of us do you know? Do you know what series we like or dislike? Do you know what we do for a hobby? Do you know what are our politics? I am amused right now that you say, "They do that to Stephenie Meyer too". Did a bird come down and tell you that FSOG haters also hate Twilight? I read many negative reviews of this book from avid Twilight fans. Even on this forum, roughly a fourth of the haters have posted that they like things about Meyer's writing. For myself, I despise Breaking Dawn, but I don't mind the first three at all. Somehow though, you decide you can whisper smugly the secret that "THEY do that to Meyer too". As usual, the Frankster prefers to make general group statements.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013, 10:36:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013, 11:51:46 AM PST
Frankie says:
"Fifty Shades of Grey and the Twilight series both unapologetically glorify abuse."

I have yet to be convinced that what goes on in either series could be considered abuse. One can abuse a child, an animal, an elderly or disabled person, but an autonomous adult that can walk away from "the abuser" at any time? If it's consensual, it's not abuse.

Now, are the main male characters in both series guilty of bad behavior that no woman should put up with? Yes. Do the main female characters put up with it? Only to an extent, then they draw a line. I think that most any woman might put up with more crap from a man they consider very desirable than they would from a run-of-the-mill guy.

In both series the male lead is not a character you would expect to find in real life. Edward, obviously, because he is a fantastical creature, and Christian because his life story is simply not plausible. So, I doubt that, even though the female leads are putting up with more than they should, that girls/women reading the stories are taking home the message that they should do so with more true-to-life men. If they do, it's not because of these books.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013, 7:17:04 PM PST
...hmm? says:
*skims through all of the comments on this thread*

O_O;; Umm...

I kind of just wanted to know if anyone had a complete list of who was who in the original fanfic, not to start a fight over whether or not the book should have been published or whether or not it glorifies abuse. I mean, there are already plenty of other threads out there about those topics, if that's what you guys want to talk about... :\

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013, 12:53:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013, 5:52:25 AM PST
Frankie says:
I take it you don' t have a copy of the original MOTU fanfic? If you Google it, you may be able to find it. I found it once and downloaded it, but it was taken down shortly thereafter. Since it is James's intellectual property she and her publisher have any copies on the net taken down when they find them. However, she has not, as Westphal claims, "tried to purge the net of all records that MOU even existed." Has she come on to Amazon and demanded they remove threads that discuss where 50SoG originated? Has she threatened bloggers with lawsuits for writing about the subject? No, she and her publisher just refuse to discuss a touchy subject that simply isn't going to lead anywhere positive and try to keep fuel away from those that just can't let it go by not allowing MOTU to be posted online. Oh, and for those that consistently call her a hypocrite for not allowing 50SoG fanfiction, here's 242 pages of it: http://www.fanfiction.net/book/Fifty-Shades-Trilogy/ that is posted on the same website where MOTU used to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013, 9:24:40 AM PST
...hmm? says:
That's all right. I just wanted to know who was who in the original fic--not actually sit down and read it (tbh, it was painful enough to read the novel without reading the fic as well xD). Thanks anyways. :)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013, 2:03:48 PM PST
W.Westphal says:
I scoured the internet for something relevant, and here it is, from the words of James herself: http://dearauthor.com/features/industry-news/master-of-the-universe-versus-fifty-shades-by-e-l-james-comparison/

It describes in detail the small differences between the original fan-fic and the published work. There were some slight differences, such as change of hair color and names.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013, 4:45:25 PM PST
...hmm? says:
Ah, I had a feeling that Jack was originally James! Thanks for sharing that link. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013, 4:46:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013, 4:51:57 AM PST
Frankie says:
"I scoured the internet for something relevant...It describes in detail the small differences between the original fan-fic and the published work. There were some slight differences, such as change of hair color and names."

How is this relevant?

This is an old blog. To quote you: "Not news". Everyone knows this and DOESN'T CARE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013, 8:27:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013, 3:51:50 PM PST
W.Westphal says:
Your welcome, and a hearty THANK YOU for proving Frankie's above post moot. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer