Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > How Doctors Think forum

What comes to YOUR mind when you think of Doctors?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 21, 2007, 7:25:47 PM PDT
HMOs?
Prescription Drugs?
Social prestige?

Let's get the sounding board going!

http://www.associary.com/wiki/Doctor

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2007, 2:48:30 PM PDT
lovestoread says:
what comes to my mind is - power. doctors have the power to determine who lives and who dies.

for most of us, for most of life, this power isn't really exercised b/c we are healthy. but sometimes doctors make the difference in whether someone lives, or not.

I think their social prestige is less than it used to be but is still there. but we're past the days when anyone could say "believe me. I'm a doctor." and his (usually) word would be taken for gospel.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2007, 6:12:59 AM PDT
Frustration! I am annoyed that they have such a godlike complex, that most or a good many Will Not accept they could be wrong, or their knowledge is limited and they are unwilling to accept other kinds of alternative healing as also having great merit either alone, or in combination preferably with their methods, if those methods dont contradict one another in the outcome. I have gone to a chiropractor for years that also used Kinesiology for finding what was ailing me, and now he's been using what is called BODY ENERGY or Energy Medicine and has helped me many times very quickly for some very painful problems I've had whereas the MDs had not been able to ease my pain, without a lot of drugs and Time. Dont get me wrong, I have GREAT RESPECT for all their learning and knowledge and surgery capabilities etc, but I wish they'd learn more about how some of the other methods work, so they could refer some patients or work in together with , or at least Accept there are other ways of healing that WORK. When I go to the hospital and have to stay, they want to take all my pills away that the alternative dr. gave me for my dizziness, and my muscle spasms. They help me quickly, while the stuff the Drs. give me, take more time and I'm in pain longer! I am a sensible person, I do a lot of questioning, and research before just accepting any new methods, but I expect my MD to at least do same regarding my alternative choice in health care.. Once I had infection in the bone marrow of my wrist, it hurt so bad I was in tears and couldnt work, my alternative Dr. did some muscle testing and determined that was the cause, within a few minutes, and I wonder how long it would have taken an MD to find that out, how many tests would they have done, and how much money would it have cost me and how long would it have taken them to figure that one out, I mean its not a common thing, so I wonder if an MD could have diagnosed that correctly and timely and healed it within a few days as my alternative dr. did.. Also I've had a rib out of place a few times, where I could barely breathe without a great deal of pain and difficulty, what would an MD do? and how much would that have cost me? My chiropractor/alternative dr. grabbed me from behind and with a quick maniipulation, put it back in place and immediately I was relieved.. Also for many years I had dizzy spells daily, serious enough I'd see the room spininng or fall against the walls, and the MDs never could find what caused it, I was made to feel it was all in my head.. Then when I started going to this chiropractor/kinesiologist, he found the cause to be my Adrenal Gland was under stress, he gave me some natural supplement pills of cow adrenal gland, and I'd take one or two daily, and never had those dizzy spells again, or if I forgot to take them, I would get dizzy and remember , take a couple and it would go away. He also gave me some supplement pills for FLU, when I get flu, when it comes on fast and your sick in the worst way, these pills would end it in a day and feeling fine by next day ready for work again.. and I mean the flu was the worst of symptoms!!! So when I go to the MD and they ask what pills I'm taking, and I tell them and they laugh or make some 'comment' , well, I have EXPERIENCE with how they've made me feel, and how the MDs make me feel.. how much it cost, and how long it takes. There is room for both, if the MDs would just open up their minds a little more. I know some are, but still most are not accepting, and that is just plain IGNORANCE AND god-like complex!!! and that IS FRUSTRATING!!!

Posted on Jun 3, 2010, 3:06:12 AM PDT
If something is seriously wrong? Months of misdiagnoses, blow offs, and having them think I'm an idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010, 11:45:57 AM PST
They are their to make the most money they can off of you they can.

Posted on Apr 22, 2013, 6:07:27 PM PDT
Since the wholesale abandonment of the Hippocratic oath by most contemporary "doctors", and their allegiance to pharmaceutical companies,insurance firms, and government bureaucrats; they should be called "treatment providers" instead. They do not merit the title of "physician".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  How Doctors Think forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 21, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
How Doctors Think
How Doctors Think by Jerome E. Groopman (Paperback - March 12, 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars (379)