Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 18, 2011
I received several comments on this nail polish.

The trick is to put SEVERAL layers on to show off the polish. I put on several coats, over the course of two days and topped it off with clear polish. It stayed on for quite a while. I had the polish on for New Year's Eve and received numerous compliments.

A few downsides - the smell is extremely strong. Open a window and take breaks when painting. Also, when you put on several layers, it uses up a large portion of the bottle. Don't share otherwise it will all be gone!
2 people found this helpful
on April 7, 2012
I first discovered Across the Universe because of those teases on Pinterest, and I was instantly IN LOVE. This was an obvious must-have. However, I've never been the type to spend more than about $7 on nail polish. After hemming, hawing, goal-setting, scrimping, and lip-biting, I can say that this polish is worth it.

I've found that it looks best layered over a dark solid color (I like black) - the base of this polish is blue but if you want opaque, you're looking at using a lot of layers of a fairly pricey polish. The sparkle is beautiful and the large and small glitter pieces make it interesting and give your nails a lovely deep color. Even over a dark base coat I feel the polish looks best with at least 3 coats, and of course topped with a glossy topcoat to make everything really shine and to even out the texture. It seems to take longer to dry than other glitter polishes I've used (namely OPI), but if you're painting your nails you probably don't have much planned in the next half hour anyway.

As with all glitter polishes, you're going to want a pure acetone remover and lots of patience when it's time to take it off. I do find that it doesn't peel as easily as OPI glitter, which is a TERRIBLE habit on my part.

Also, in a couple places I've seen this referred to as a gel polish - it is NOT a gel polish. It does not require any special techniques or equipment to apply.
on December 6, 2012
The only reason it did not get five stars is that it is very translucent. It took about 5 layers for each nail to match the color of the bottle, nonetheless it is GORGEOUS! It really looks like a fish on my nails, there's large green/light blue sparkles surrounded by tiny dark blue pigment and tiny blue sparkles. I got so many compliments wearing it! It also have the colors of an abalone shell, the purples and greens and blues are to die for! It is very dimensional and once i run out i will have to buy more.
5 people found this helpful
on February 21, 2017
I thought this was more of a green and gold but actually it's a turquoise, green and gold mix-still pretty. Hard to find in the store so checked Amazon :)
on July 26, 2013
...you can use a generic nailpolish in blue or green, then put this one over it. The flakes will not come off easily when you try to remove the polish. If you use a plastic jar with soaked in acetone sponge type of polish remover, leave your finger in for few minutes. Flakes should come off much easier. Other than that, its a beautiful, fantasy like polish that will make your nails and hands stand out.
on May 9, 2012
This polish is amazing!!! I don't care about dupes; since I rarely if ever spend this much on polish it was worth the $18 splurge. It's already in a dark jelly but I put 2 coats of ATU over 1 coat of L'Oreal's After Hours (deep indigo) & I am completely in love. Topped it off with a coat of Nubar 3-free fast dry shiny top coat. I wouldn't ordinarily wear a dark polish in the summer but wearing this is a beautiful exception. Gorgeous twinkling in light, awesome contrast to the dark blue base.
on September 6, 2014
This is a great top polish over purple, blue, green and pink tones. It is best to dab it on instead of a full brush stroke because you will get more even coverage. Top that with the Lippmann Hard Rock clear and the polish will last for a couple weeks on your hands and up to a month on your toes!
on April 1, 2013
This can go on sheer or be a party on your fingertips, depending on how many coats you use. Yes, Deborah Lippmann polishes are expensive, but once you start using them it's clear to see why. This is a great one for layering over complimentary colors. Layer it over Essie's "Turquoise & Caicos" for a pretty Robins Egg look.
One person found this helpful
on July 3, 2012
I tried dl across the universe today and its lovely and unique. If u hav to try just one dl get this one:-) it looks like a dark glistening color from far away then up close the true beauty of the glitter chunks come through. Its not super glittery due to the dark but translucent color of the base. I can't get over how pretty this looks on my toes. Ordering more dl nail laquers today!!!
on January 15, 2015
A bit disappointed, this is more of a top coat color, very sheer - if I had known that (I know I should have read the description but got excited at the color lol) I would have bypassed it. Beautiful otherwise though. :)
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question