Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

disappointment: what were you sad didnt happen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2008, 5:59:50 PM PDT
Cory says:
this thread is preatty self-explanatory. share what you were sad didnt happen, so we can discuss theories.

I was sad the green egg was completely absent.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 7:52:39 AM PDT
Andrew Kutz says:
Ahhh, yes....I am still anxious to see who it hatches for....

But this way we have much more anticipation for Book 4...yes?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 3:20:41 PM PDT
Cory says:
well, what frustrated me most is that will the next rider have enough time to learn... or will it hatch to someone enslaved/loyal to galbatorix, so it wouldnt matter?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 6:27:41 PM PDT
I was frustrated by C.P.'s explanation of Murtagh and Thorn's accelerated growth/training. If it was such a problem that they couldnt do it to Eragon why doesn't it seem like a problem with Murtagh. There should at least have been something Oromis could have exploited.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 5:07:46 PM PDT
J. Nestor says:
I was kind of disappointed with the whole green egg not hatching thing, too, but I was kind of expecting it to be left out of the book ever since Paolini changed the cover from a green dragon to Glaedr. Besides that, though, I was kind of hoping to learn more about spirits, the Rock of Kuthian and that Tenga guy. I was also hoping that Eragon and Arya's relationship would progress further than it did, but I suppose it should be expected from an elf.

Oh. And less Roran. Way less Roran, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 7:17:36 PM PDT
Cory says:
I actually am disappointed in eragon's sword. it sounds like a mary sueism. I find a hero is more of a hero if they dont simply get easy solutions to everything, and Paolini sure seems to love his easy solutions to major challanges.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 9:37:30 PM PDT
Joseph says:
Eragon cutting through the gates with a flaming sword was stolen from the beginning of Phantom Menace, flaming sword=lightsaber except Fienstar(or whatever) had no blast doors. G.R.R. Martin also has a character with a flaming sword.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 1:55:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2008, 1:56:35 AM PDT
Cory says:
i never bothered with the 3 new star wars... I didnt even enjoy the original three. this is further proof he is ripping off star wars. it keeps stacking up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 7:31:37 AM PDT
Andrew Kutz says:
Joe Taticchi and Cory M. Warren-
With all due respect, that does seem a little bit...er, weak. I mean, that does seem like grasping a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 8:42:28 AM PDT
Joseph says:
What exactly

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 9:04:54 AM PDT
Andrew Kutz says:
Well, Mr. Warren says "this is further proof he is ripping off star wars," presumably reffering to your comment that says "Eragon cutting through the gates with a flaming sword was stolen from the beginning of Phantom Menace, flaming sword=lightsaber except Fienstar(or whatever) had no blast doors"

The word stealing seems very dramatic for what really seems to me to be a very vague similarity. And the flaming sword was Paolini's Dad's idea...innocent similarity or genetic ripping off?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 2:36:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2008, 2:43:35 PM PDT
Joseph says:
I say it was a rip-off, I would have an easier time believing it was an innocent allusion if some much of inheritance weren't already a rip-off of star wars and many others. I think he had some original ideas. The Urgals were original and personally I would have liked more info about Urgal culture and less moral maundering on Eragon's part. Secondly, I would have liked further exploration of Roran's insubordination. I mean this will probably be the reason Nasuada will be replaced. Maybe a POV from Murtagh, Murtagh was compelled to serve and is sort of trying to break Galbatorixes spell now this kind of moral dilemma I would have liked to see. I think Paolini plagarized when he didn't have to.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 9:42:47 PM PDT
Actually, Paolini got urgals from orks and kull from uru'kai(Lord of the Rings).

But can you people please get over the "OMG! Paolini is such a copier! Let's all ignore the good unique parts of his book and pour over each and every detail of something he may have copied from another author!".

It's getting obnoxious seeing the posts of you haters on every thread about Eragon I see.

As for things I wish would happen:

I think Oromis and Glaedr's deaths were supid and ill thought out. He should have thought of something better.

He should have put a little more out there about Murtagh's struggles. Maybe a single chapter from Murtagh's or Thorn's pov?

The heart of hearts. He should have had Murtagh say "I'd rather tear out my heartS." is Eldest rather than Brisingr, because having the heart of hearts come up suddenly just now bothers me. It's like he just made it up right now and didnt have the idea while writing Eragon and Eldest.

Thorn's tail getting bitten off. Wtf?

Things I loved happening:

Saphira and Glaedr's povs!

The describing of Morzon and Kilalanzadi and Selena and the other forsworn.

The golden lillies. RAANdom. And it gives Arya and Eragon a secret joke to bring up every ten lines of the next book. Which could get annoying...

Brom being Eragon's real father. I was right all along. Ha. Haha. I love being right.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008, 12:19:03 PM PDT
Andrew Kutz says:
He did forshadow the heart of hearts in Eldest, just to let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008, 1:26:07 PM PDT
How?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008, 5:14:09 PM PDT
Andrew Kutz says:
Oromis says he knows why Galbatorix is so powerful, but that he doesn't think it would be wise to tell Eragon then.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2008, 6:58:43 PM PDT
Yes, of course. But he never said anything in the previous two books about why, exactly, they kept gaining power year after year.

Sure, he kept hinting at that they keep getting stronger and that some few people know the secret as to why, but he never gave out any of the hints like how Murtagh said "heartS" in Brisingr.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008, 2:29:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2008, 2:30:52 PM PDT
I, for one, was extremely disappointed about Eragon NOT shouting his name into the Vault of Souls. I didn't like Saphira's destruction of the Menoa tree, nor did I think her lack of compassion for what she did appropriate. I agree with whomever that Glaedr and Oromis' deaths were completely stupid and ill-thought out. Eragon knows next to nothing about magic--or so was the impression I got--and he couldn't possibly believe that he could train the next Dragon Rider. However, if the next Rider is Arya...then Eragon needn't worry about training her. She knows far more about the Ancient Language than he does. I think Arya will be the next Rider. Her dragon will be a boy, so he and Saphira will end up being mates, and everything will be all cute and disgustingly picturesque, as it is obvious that Arya is beginning to care for Eragon in the same way he cares for her. Two dragons in love, two Dragon Riders in love. Ick. Though if CP was to make Arya's love believable to his readers, he should have started planting stronger seeds earlier in "Brisingr". I'm sort of disappointed with her development in this book. There was none.
No green egg. Erg!
The gory battles were all too frequent, in my opinion, as was the abundance of Roran.
Elaine still hasn't had that stupid baby. And now Katrina's pregnant. Fun.
The dwarf politics were completely irrelevant to the main story line. We all knew that Orik would become the next dwarf king; we didn't need 100 pages of red tape to make us believe it. Paolini was just grasping at straws and seemed like he just needed crap to fill up some pages.
And I sooo agree that the true identity makes Eragon a far less interesting character. Seriously, who *didn't* believe at least once in the series that Brom would turn out to be Eragon's father. I enjoyed the backstory about that, though.
The appearance, however brief, of a new Shade was completely unexpected, but stupid and didn't complicate the plot.
Angela the herbalist annoyed the crap out of me through the ENTIRE book. That was a weak stab at humour on CP's part. Angela's jokes were shallow and stupid. Though I do think that there is more to her than we know. She has something more to do with that hermit Eragon met.
Elva disappointed me.
I think this book was just a disappointment, overall. The first two captivated me to no end, but Brisingr was completely unnecessary. When I heard that CP decided to make Inheritance a "cycle" with 4 books rather than a trilogy, I was annoyed. When I finished reading "Brisingr", I was livid. The book is 800 pages of unconnected, unnecessary happenings. The plot is weak, the characters unbelievable. I'm hooked on the books, so I'll see the "cycle" through until the end, but Paolini has lost me completely as a supporter if the last book is as poorly and hastily written as "Brisingr".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008, 8:33:58 PM PDT
I thought Brisingr was OKAY. Christopher HAS to make up for Brisinger's okay-ness with his next book or he'll loose me too.
And Angela only annoyed me with one sentence; the rest was okay. "Watch out for ferrets." W. T. F?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008, 10:18:03 PM PDT
Cory says:
guys... oromis saying he knows why galbatorix was so powerful is not foreshadowing of the eldunari... it only foreshadows that eragon would ask oromis eventually.

truth is, foreshadowing is jk rowling having harry's scar hurt in book one, and tom riddles diary in book two, and voldemort talking about one of more of his experiments into immortality working in book four, or the locket in book five, or dumbledore's wither hand, the peverell ring, the diadam, and hufflepuffs cup in book six. that is foreshadowing.

foreshadowing that a character knows something important doesnt actually foreshadow what they know, just that they are in a position to tell.

foreshadowing of eldunari would have been like if when eragon and saphira's conciousness melded, he sensed her second heart, maybe feeling something hard within her. it wouldnt give anything away without proper explenation... that would be foreshadowing a dragon's heart of heart.

it is simply story structure and plot devices.

I too will read the fourrth book when it comes out, but Brisingr has not left me with high hopes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008, 8:35:42 AM PDT
Andrew Kutz says:
The only way it WASN'T foreshadowing is if Paolini didn't actually know at that point why Galbatorix was so powerful. If he just made it up after writing Eldest, than it wasn't foreshadowing.

However, I just remembered another part in Eldest that foreshadows it...

On page 555, as Eragon and Saphira are leaving Ellesmera, Glaedr says "Remember to keep you heart safe, Saphira."

That sounds like he is referring to the Eldunari, does it not?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008, 6:00:05 PM PDT
I thought about that too, a few days ago. But Saphira couldnt have possibly known that he was talking about her Eldunari, at that early point in time. It was more likely he was talking about her heart as in her love interests, since Saphira was very interested in making Glaedr her mate in Eldest. But I guess it COULD be hinting at the Eldunari, if you want to grasp at strings.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008, 6:59:08 PM PDT
Andrew Kutz says:
That's not true...he had told her about the hearts. In Brisingr, Saphira says that Glaedr had told her last time they were in Elessmera. Since Glaedr tells her to guard her hearts AS THEY'RE LEAVING, he had to have told her by that point.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008, 3:29:49 PM PDT
I am dissapointed that Chris decided to stretch this story into four books because he takes forever to write. I think the stories are entertaining and I have nothing bad to say about them but they are not so wonderful as to require three or four years to write. It seems as if we readers are only marginally further along in the story than we were at the end of book 2. In the beginning he thought he could get it finished with 3 books so he must know where the story is going. I would like him to sit down and finish the book by this time next year or sooner. Anything less is laziness on his part. The only person who writes slower is George R. R. Martin. It has been so long since his last book that I have lost interest.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008, 7:34:28 PM PDT
E. Cleveland says:
I agree that a lot of the book was kinda long-winded and he could have shortened it a little bit, but a lot of it I believe was for character development....if he had made it shorter people would have complained that the characters were not explained enough or did not develop as much as they should have or something like that.....

The only 2 things I was disappointed about were (1) Oromis and Glaedr coming out to fight after hiding for how many years....and dying an hour later (wtf??) and (2) going around in a circle instead of a straight line when it came to revealing details everybody knew fifty pages beforehand (e.g. 30 pages devoted to finding out who attacked Eragon at Farthen Dur (duh!), revealing who his father was, knowing that Roran was gonna rebel against one of his commanders, etc.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 6, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) (The Inheritance Cycle)
Brisingr (Inheritance, Book 3) (The Inheritance Cycle) by Christopher Paolini (Hardcover - September 20, 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,520)