Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

how does it compare to Peter Raven's "Biology"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2011, 10:05:24 PM PDT
D. Tschetter says:
this book is by far the more popular one, but im having trouble finding comparisons between the two of them.

has anybody had the chance to read from both?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011, 4:46:11 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 1, 2011, 1:48:02 PM PDT
Alan Meyer says:
I have read an earlier edition of Campbell and a copy of Raven's Biology of Plants. Both were outstanding textbooks. If Raven's general biology book is as good as his botany book, it will be very good indeed.

I don't think you are likely to go wrong with either one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011, 3:12:18 PM PST
Beth Rogers says:
I don't have experience with Raven's book, but I know Campbell's Biology very well. Many people seem to like Campbell's books, but to be honest Campbell Biology wasn't my favorite, in terms of how the chapters were organized, the general writing style, and the usefulness of the figures. I'm tutoring a high-school student in AP Bio, and they're using Campbell Biology also, but many of the students find it difficult to use. For a more general biology book, my favorite book of all time was Helena Curtis's "Biology", although it's out of print now.

I recently found this list of biology books on a web site called Mastering Biology (http://www.masteringbio.com/site/books/index.html). I'd assume that most or all of those books are available on Amazon. Please note that the web site is a for-a-fee online learning site, with content targeted towards teachers and students in formal courses. I'm just recommending this as a good list of textbooks that are commonly used in biology courses these days. Of course, just because they're commonly used doesn't mean they're the best, but it's at least a starting point.

As others have noted, keep in mind that the newest edition will definitely be more expensive. But earlier editions generally aren't that different, at least not with one or two editions prior to the current one. If you're not using the book to go along with a particular class, there's no real advantage to buying the newest edition, unless you're really set on having the most up-to-date book cover. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Biology
Biology by Neil A. Campbell (Hardcover - July 1999)
4.6 out of 5 stars (18)