Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

e-book more expensive than paperback

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2011, 9:59:56 AM PDT
jrv says:
I have been wanting to re-read john steinbeck's east of eden. Imagine my suprise when the price of the e-book was $12.99 and the paperback only $9.99. I read the kindle description and it said they were special collecter books with special spines. Fine, but i am not getting a book with special spines - in fact any book i would be getting would have no spines. I guess I will hit my local used bookstore and get it for next to nothing and will bypass those greedy penguin publishers altogether. Therefore no one in the publishing industry will get any profit. It just really torques me to see that nothing is being done about the price fixing of the Agency model. Thanks, Steve Jobs and I will never own anything by apple.

Posted on May 11, 2011, 3:01:05 PM PDT
A. Machin says:
They have the right to charge whatever the want BUT I agree with you that they're making a stupid decision because there's no way in hell I'm paying more for the Kindle version than I would for the paperback. And I'm sure they are going to be losing plenty of Kindle sales because of this. To be honest I've noticed lots of new Kindle books are priced the same or higher than paperback versions. This was not the case 2 years ago when I first got my Kindle, I hope this trend doesn't continue.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012, 4:52:44 AM PST
Jean Valjean says:
I suspect that there is a hidden reason for this. Perhaps Amazon is overstocked with John Steinbeck's East of Eden and wants to get people to buy so they can make space for other books. It is irritating, but there has to be a reason...stupid or not.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012, 2:33:03 PM PDT
Sam Ash says:
It's called collusion and price fixing. Publishers are stuck in the old paradigm. They produce volumes of paperback books that they have to move. If everyone buys ebooks, what do the do with the tangible inventory? Thus, they are forcing consumers to buy paperback books and not ebooks. This trend will only last so long and then things will change. Publishers left in the old paradigm will go out of business.

Posted on Apr 16, 2013, 5:38:07 PM PDT
C. Barton says:
Dear Penguin, It's really dumb to have the kindle version of classics priced so high. No kindle book is worth more than $10, and the vast majority are not worth more than $5. Oprah's book club giving the book extra exposure is a good thing, but this is just gouging. I have seen Penguin and other publishers demand these high prices and I go OUT OF MY WAY not to buy your books.

Posted on Oct 20, 2015, 10:44:14 AM PDT
It angers me. I'll be looking for ways to avoid frigging Penguin. This is stupid, greedy, and disrespectful. One previous commenter mentioned they had the right to price the ebook this way. And I have the right to avoid their business.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
East of Eden
East of Eden by John Steinbeck (Paperback - October 25, 1979)
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,554)