Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 16, 2012
I bought this bulb because I needed some bulbs to use in photography with fixed light sources. I bought this one because its temperature is 5500K and supposedly stable at that.

I found through my own testing that the temperature and brightness remain stable after you give it about 5 minutes to warm up (I took a series of shots at 1/200S in burst mode and checked the temperature of the light in each frame to test). After about 5 minutes the brightness is stable and the temperature is as well... With most CFLs the temperture and brightness will fluctuate at about 60hz (household current frequency).

This bulb purports to be as bright as a 200W incandescent would be, but I don't really agree with that claim. It's marginally brighter (according to my camera's light meter) than a 100W bulb, but not by much. It's about 25% brighter than the 22W GE bulbs that claim to be 100W equivalent.
on February 5, 2016
I purchased and received an item that says it is 45 Watts and would resemble a 200 Watt bulb output, this is on the box. After leaving this plugged in to a lamp rated to handle up to a 125W bulb, the bulb only pulls 25 Watts. See image. Further, while the light looks about 5500K as advertised, the brightness is not up to par. I have to return it. For a bulb, this is not cheap. When I pay for something advertised to perform at a certain level, I want what I put out good money for. I can pick up 23W 5500K bulbs cheaply if that is what I had wanted. I particularly dislike that a seller would intentionally mislead and lie. This is FALSE ADVERTISING. Shame on ePhoto. I recommend you do not buy from this seller.

UPDATE: I just put in a different 200W-replacement CFL bulb, a 42W by Luxrite. It warmed up to a bright, 5000K coloration, 2820 lumens, and the kill-a-watt showed 36W draw. Better.
review image
on January 12, 2015
To me these just don't fit their intended purpose. I'm not someone who's overly harsh most of the time, but this is one of those items that doesn't measure up to the specs given for it.

I bought one of these bulbs last July and set it aside, unopened, for testing on a future project where I would require a constant light level and a sufficiently bright enough light source - at the specifically stated 5500k 'daylight' temperature. The intent was to use a mix of real daylight and constant-lighting bulbs without color shifts or other temperature matching issues to deal with in post processing... and do it with energy efficient light sources. I thought it would be pretty simple to accomplish, given the specs on these. Well, today was the day I opened the box to set things up and do some basic testing.

1. The bulb I received is not what is described or pictured. Compact florescent bulbs in these upper wattage ranges usually state and show circulation vents as part of the bulb body, just as this one does. CFL bulbs at 45 Watt ratings (= 225 'tungsten' watts) would produce considerable heat, but this bulb has absolutely NO venting - regardless of what's shown. After a sufficient warm-up, it got no warmer in temp than any of the the 9 watt CFL's or LED's I use in my table lamps, leading me to assume these weren't high-output bulbs, as stated - and a reason for the difference in output levels in #2.

2. CFL's rated at 45 watts would be slightly more than twice the overall brightness of any standard 100 watt household tungsten bulb. This is a published and industry accepted value, but the output on these are far less than half of a single traditional bulb - and certainly not two of them.

The test pic of the Graflex camera (as posted) was taken with the CFL bulb I received - placed in a generic screw-in 'Edison base', as a stand-mounted bulb fixture. It is adjustable for angle and also holds a standard photo umbrella. The umbrella used was a 40" translucent white version, and the fixture was angled at 60 degrees off vertical - on a standard adjustable light stand and placed 6' away and 5' up - with the umbrella used as a soft bounce reflector. No other light sources were used. The RAW data exposure image included here shows a close-up of that pic as seen in a screen-grab of Nikon's ViewNX2 software, with Exif and exposure settings of f/5.6 @ 1.3 seconds. Yes... over one second of exposure at a mid value f-stop; all from a supposed 225 watts of light power, at 6 feet away. Nothing close to reasonable for my purposes, and a long way from what I expected.

The pic of the CFL bulb itself was taken with the same fixture setup and position - with a very old (and discolored) 100 watt incandescent bulb substituting for the CFL. The Exif data for this shot showed the settings as f/5.3 @ 1/4 second. There was no change to the camera settings between the two images taken. By a large margin, the exposure times are vastly different and clearly showing the lack of wattage when using the CFL. The Nikon 5200 used to capture these images was manually set to ISO 100, in program mode, with overrides to minimize any variance in f-stops to keep shots comparable.

The markings on the box and the bulb itself clearly state its high-watt output and color temp, so it wasn't a case of mistakenly packaging the wrong product in the right box. If the wattage is far off the mark, it's pretty pointless for me to care what the color temperature actually is, so I didn't bother to test that. Having to quadruple the number of bulbs and the needed holders/sockets I'd use for them makes color temperature a moot point for that kind of investment in order to counter any loss in wattage.

These particular bulbs perform like standard low-wattage bulbs intended as household replacements, and not premium priced items as the specs describe them. Without workable versions of high-output daylight bulbs... I'll stick with genuine sunlight, or my Nikon speedlights or Photogenic monolights - and/or - use standard household bulbs along with corrective camera or lighting filters.

These might suffice for use in small, controlled setups without a need for color mixing, but not for my uses. I'm glad I only bought one of these, and it's also the last time I put something away without opening and testing it first.
review image review image review image review image
on December 9, 2014
I purchased one of these bulbs, a $25 Kino-Flo bulb and shot the same setup/ color chart + grey cards exclusively illuminated by each bulb, then with flash and then in daylight. Looking at all of them together, the ePhoto bulb rally stands out as being obviously green. Technically to get a neutral grey, I had to pull out not only green but some red and yellow as well. I also noticed that even though the ePhoto is listed as 45 watts and the Kino-Flo is listed as 26 watts, the actual output is very similar. In conclusion, if your only light source will be these bulbs (such as a studio) then it is easy to color correct them to a neutral color, and they are cheap (although you may need more than you expected.) But if you are mixing light sources, and are using these as fill in a natural light environment or have other 5500 kelvin bulbs, you will have trouble with cross over color, so I would not recommend them for that application. I will add some magenta filtration and use them for a light controlled workstation.
review image
VINE VOICEon January 20, 2014
I got a set of 3 of these for my game room since we play a LOT of cards in there. Let me tell ya, these suckers put out some serious light and because the wattage is so low I can run multiple in a ceiling fan with the chandelier adapters. I turn on the lights in the game room and it's like the sun came out. Nobody has any problem reading their cards at all. In face, we started with 3 of them and had to back off to 2 because they were a little TOO bright with 3 in the same room :)
on November 25, 2011
I purchased this ligth bulb recently to go with the Adorama AC Socket with Light Stand Adapter & Umbrella Holderand it works fine. The bulb is a bit large but I knew that going in. I already purchased a trigger/reciever system CowboyStudio NPT-04, 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for an off camera flash but I wanted to also try a "constant light source" as an alternative and this bulb was the choice. With my umbrella, this light bulb has the necessary wattage to produce the light necessary for my needs without "over-producing" brightness. The AC light stand adaptor I purchased separately is actually of better quality than I originally thought. For the money, a great value for everything here. For those reviews who said these were of poor quality, I say, "Take care of your stuff!" I am perhaps overly careful with my camera and photo equipment, but that is how you should be! I highly recommend the bulb and the AC socket light stand adaptor to any photographer wishing to experiment wih portable lighting equipment.
on February 21, 2014
Great bulbs with clean bright light. They also are shorter than most comparable bulbs so they fit in my lighting reflector without sticking out so they are not as likely to get damaged.

On my original order, I ordered 2 and one of them flickered so I returned it. The replacement arrived the next day (Thanks, Amazon!) and worked fine.
on November 9, 2014
What can one write about a light bulb? I'm not a professional photographer, but as best I can tell this bulb puts out a very nice white light that helps make my photos look better. At first I tried using a standard non-photography light bulb I purchased from Home Depot, but the pictures I took using a standard bulb appeared to have a yellow haze on them. For that reason I think it was wise for me to buy this bulb because it makes my photos look better, and saves me a lot of time trying to fix lighting problems with software after the pictures have been taken.
on February 19, 2013
Let me start off my saying I am an amateur photographer with a basic home portrait studio. Before these bulbs, I had the square perfect $26 bulbs until they started dimming. Along with this, I bought the Cowboy studio version of this bulb. Needless to say, both, especially this one worked great. It worked just as well as my old $26 bulb when it was new, and even brighter than my cheaper cowboystudio bulb. The look and feel of it in your hands in itself feels high quality and I would recommend it to anyone trying to look for BOTH good quality and a good price.
These bulbs are not made for being the main light source for a glamour shoot. They are made to be lit behind umbrellas and light boxes as complementary vanity lights to give the subject a soft bluish-white glow.

I even actually use these around the house as alternatives to my regular lamps with their yellowish bulbs. White light is always more pleasing and easier on the eyes, and so I also recommend these if you want to give your home an alternate color lighting.

And at this price(below ten dollars), they are highly recommended!