Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012, 9:52:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012, 9:53:57 AM PDT
ER says:
I just got this emailed from Tor

A Memory of Light
A Memory of Light Ebook Release Date Confirmed

A Memory of Light Ebook Release Date ConfirmedTor Books has announced that the ebook edition of A Memory of Light, the exciting conclusion to one of the most epic fantasy series in existence, will be available for e-reader devices on April 9, 2013. The initial book release is scheduled for January 8, 2013.

Tor.com is celebrating The Wheel of Time all throughout 2012 - appropriately, the Year of the Dragon - in anticipation of Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's final volume: A Memory of Light. You can check out original articles, exclusive wallpapers, recollections from Brandon, and more on our index page for A Memory of Light.

Of course, I can't wait, and have the last two that Brandon worked on in hard-cover so I'll be getting the hard cover in January. I don't have any WoT on ebooks so probably won't start (unless I decide to reread later on, but that is so expensive!)

Cheers

Posted on Apr 5, 2012, 4:32:18 AM PDT
R. Smith says:
It's a little sad that they're delaying it so long. I will be getting both versions, of course (just placed a preorder on the hardcover... finally!) I would really prefer to read the ebook while on the go, though (and the hardcover while at home), as I have been with my re-read of the series in preparation for the finale.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012, 4:52:05 PM PDT
vicsrealms says:
Thats ok, if the prices of the other e-books coming out are any indication. Then the e-book will probably cost you $34.99 as its the regular price of the hard back.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 12:36:02 PM PDT
Hm, a shame but it does not matter for me. I mostly read e-books these days, but the final WoT book will just have to be a HC for old times sake. Can't believe it's taken this long to finally finish this series! :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012, 9:14:16 AM PDT
szwierzy says:
Ouch. I don't think I would pay full price for a 'license' to read a book.

Posted on May 14, 2012, 2:52:46 PM PDT
Geomancer says:
I'm getting the hardcover, have to complete the rather large set that takes an entire shelf on the book case ;)

As for prices on ebooks, you might see that change by the time this comes out. The US Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit against Apple and the publishers for price fixing, some publishers have already settled so it's only a mater of time. I can't remember if Tor was invovled in that or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 4:00:05 PM PDT
DavidW says:
Tor is a division of Macmillan and Macmillan did not settle. The lawsuit won't even start until June 2013. Macmillan and Penguin are very confident. Do not count on seeing reduced prices on their ebooks anytime in the near future.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012, 5:13:19 AM PDT
Michigan Jon says:
Doesn't matter to me. I'll wait for the paperback. The 2 year "pauses" between books taught me to buy the paperback versions and not reward publishers for extending publication dates with the sole intent of driving fans to buy-as-soon-as-possible-no-matter-what-the-price. Sure RJ took his time penning the work, but Tor bears most of the blame for the excessive time between releases.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 9:34:21 PM PDT
T. Clyde says:
Library is still free

Posted on Aug 28, 2012, 12:05:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012, 12:07:28 PM PDT
I've read this entire series by ebook. I've had my Kindle for three years and during that time the price for ebooks has escalated at a ridiculous rate. One would think that ebooks would naturally be less expensive, no paper, ink, warehousing, shipping costs, etc involved. However as this is NOT the case, one is left to assume ebook pricing is based on pure greed on the publisher's part. I'm not talking about normal profiting but rather total unadulterated "let's-gouge-the-reader-for-every-penny-possible" greed. As a former special education and reading teacher, it makes me really sad and discouraged that reading for entertainment has been brought so low.
And now, I hear that I'm going to have to wait an additional 4 MONTHS!! for this book to be released in ebook format. How absurd!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012, 8:03:11 PM PDT
R. Smith says:
It's not just ebooks. Digital releases of many traditional publication types are obscenely expensive. I've seen digital magazine subscriptions that actually cost more than the physical edition!

Digital video game releases (at least on PSN) cost almost as much as the physical release when they're new (some will be about $4 less expensive, but not all), and they maintain those prices long after the physical releases have dropped their prices. And that's not even taking into account the possibility of buying used games.

When I got an Android tablet early last year, I really wanted to "go digital." It makes a lot of sense. But the costs simply don't support it, and that's just sad.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012, 2:47:15 PM PDT
CJ Thompson says:
Delaying the eBook release just encourages people to pirate the eBook.

If you don't offer it for sale, nobody will buy it. :(

Posted on Aug 29, 2012, 4:24:50 PM PDT
Zuzu says:
I'm a diehard fan of hard cover copies of certain books and I plan on buying the hard cover of aMoL, but I definately agree that the publishers are price gouging us for ebooks. Honestly, I die a little on the inside when I spend more than $5 on an ebook (Yeah, I'm looking at you Song of Ice and Fire). It seems blasphemous to me that the publishers feel like an electronic copy of a book should cost more than a used paperback when ebooks use no paper, require no shipping, and take up infinitely less space. Why don't they just lower ebook prices so we'd be encouraged to buy multiple ebooks from them instead of splurging once or twice a year on a single $20 ebook? I don't know about you guys, but I spend most of my ebook "shopping" in the free section, and when I go looking for hard or soft copy books that are older I hit the thrift store. They're seriously losing tons of money because of their pricing because I know I'm not the only one who does that.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012, 12:47:52 PM PDT
Ben says:
If they are so concerned about ebook eating into their hardback sales, then price it the same and do day-and-date release. Not that hard.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012, 1:25:50 PM PDT
Anne Speck says:
I wish more companies would do what O'Reilly does and charge and additional $5 for the eBook -- and I wish I could get both on the hardcover release date.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012, 12:16:48 PM PDT
J. Kim says:
I guess I have to wait until April to read this or hit up a library.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012, 5:24:47 PM PDT
ATC says:
All I'll say is that this sort of thing doesn't breed brand loyalty. Why pay?

Posted on Oct 17, 2012, 1:08:57 PM PDT
They really like encouraging people to not pay for their stuff don't they?

Posted on Oct 31, 2012, 11:07:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012, 11:12:11 AM PDT
I know how important it is to support some of the amazing authors in this genre, but with the games being played with publication dates and overpriced e-books, I wonder why people even bother to buy them. As is well known by all users of the web these days, almost anyone with an average working knowledge of computers, particularly software for removing DRM protection, can pirate just about any digital media on the market. I bought my Kindle DX in March 2009 because of all the supported file formats, and I'm still using it. I came to discover many of my favorite books through pirated copies released into cyberspace. I am sure this will cause some readers of this posting to be overcome with indignation, but I urge you to consider for a moment some of the tricks being played by the publishing companies, tricks which are illustrated very well by previous posters in this thread. If I enjoyed a book that I downloaded for free, I went and bought a legal copy, either digital or traditional, depending on my preference at the time. I try to find the most direct route to the author, as I know publishing companies have a well-established system for dealing with advances and royalties paid to the author, though I do not mean to suggest that I am not appreciative of the (usually) high quality content that publishers, in the course of doing business, are capable of delivering. I am always thrilled to find some authors who have taken it upon themselves to self-publish the works I stumbled upon while sampling many of the most celebrated authors in any genre.

The crux of my bewilderment, I suppose, is that you can see clear evidence of mischief on the part of publishing companies (again, there are many examples illustrated in this thread), and admittedly many of you own e-readers. Why, then, do some of you pay exorbitant sums for e-books, knowing that you are being gouged, particularly when you consider that many people buy e-readers thinking that they will benefit from what is supposed to be a less expensive medium for distribution when compared to traditional book publishing? If you like the author's work, wait until the e-book is reasonably, some would even say fairly, priced, or buy a cheaper version of the traditional format. There are people who will download a pirated copy of some work, love it, and never pay a penny for the experience. Unfortunately, these unscrupulous people fail to see the merit in supporting the creator of whatever it was they enjoyed. Ignoring for the moment the complex and intricate compensatory agreements made between authors and publishers, those pirates who never pay fail to realize that by paying for the experience, they are voting with their dollar, encouraging that author to create more of what they enjoy so much. I am not speaking of these people, as I can see from the honesty in previous posters' stories that they paid for something they believed they would enjoy, even knowing they were being ripped off. I am talking about those honest, conscientious readers who, finding that they have enjoyed something, understand their obligation to compensate that something's creator for their time and effort. Why, when a pirated copy of something you have been waiting eagerly for, do you let the publishers take advantage of your enthusiasm for the work?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 7:31:33 AM PST
C. Moore says:
I know I have purchased many many more books since I bought my Kindle than I did before. Why?? Where in the world was I going to store all those books? Also, being able to increase the font size has allowed my older parents to enjoy reading for the first time in a very long time - they simply could not read the small font used in most hard bound and paperback books. Somehow I doubt that I am the only person out there who can say that. Publishing companies are just cutting off their noses to spite their face by discouraging consumers from buying e-books. All they need to do is look at the rising percentages of their sales that are e-books. Hello - anybody home??

Like many others, I am fed up with the games some publishing companies are playing. I am anxious to read AMoL but I will not buy it until I can buy a used hard copy. I refuse to give the publishing company any of my money when they play ignorant games like holding off publishing e-book versions and then over-charging. Sorry Brandon and whoever else would profit from my purchasing a new copy but there is a principle involved here and I hope others will think about this also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 4:20:13 PM PST
R. Smith says:
The sad thing is, Brandon Sanderson himself is _very_ supportive of ebooks. (Just a few days ago he tweeted that anyone who bought a hardcopy of his latest novella, The Emperor's Soul, should send him a message, with a picture of the receipt as proof of purchase, and he'd get them a free copy of the ebook. How cool is that?)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012, 9:13:25 PM PST
Gary Miller says:
This asinine delay in releasing the ebook will cost them my business. I'll have already read it for free from the library before then, whereas if I could buy it the day it comes out I would. When will they learn to stop playing games? I hope they lose hard in the antitrust lawsuit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 6:45:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012, 6:48:24 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012, 6:47:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012, 6:50:40 PM PST
@Micheal Petty

BS. Pure and Simple BS following your guidelines anyone at anytime at any price can say this is too much I shouldn't have to pay this price.
This is a premium item its not needed you don't need it to survive you need it for your enjoyment any claim of but it costs too much is moot Its a premium item these companies can charge whatever they want you as the consumer have the choice of not buying it.

Claiming price is any justification for theft is a lame excuse most people under that attitude were going to pirate it anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 4:27:56 AM PST
I never said I wasn't buying it. I have already pre-ordered a copy of the hardback.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

This discussion is about
A Memory of Light  (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14) by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - January 8, 2013)
4.6 out of 5 stars (4,197)