Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

who else thought the product placement sucked?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2009, 8:47:43 AM PDT
Raven tales says:
Considering Star Trek is set a few years after world war 3. Would Nokia still be around, does a mobile phone company warrant a space in the bunker? For that matter would Budweiser as a product survive the apocolypse?

I seriously doubt it, especially when you consider what Cochran's base was like in First Contact. And this is before the universal timeline altered. So why is there bud and nokia mobile phones? I'm also quite convinced there was an 'apple' logo on the bridge of the enterprise. I know it's nit-picky but it did bug me that we got such obvious product placement.. kinda like the phone call in 'day the earth stood still' where the camera fixes on the LG logo for about 5 seconds.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009, 12:37:34 PM PDT
I agree...Nokia and Budweiser have no place in a Star Trek movie. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but it seemed cheap and out of place.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009, 9:00:00 PM PDT
thecrossbar says:
All product placements are cheap and out of place. Marketing fails to work when people know they are being marketed to. Yet, anyone with half a brain cell can spot every shameless plug in every movie and TV show ever made.

Posted on Jun 26, 2009, 2:11:26 PM PDT
I kindof like product placements, they allow the movie to tie into my life. It is like a way to tie reality to fiction for me.

Posted on Jun 26, 2009, 4:08:09 PM PDT
John P. Cole says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 28, 2009, 12:39:06 AM PDT
Ian M. Perge says:
Given that almost all of the Engineering scenes were shot at a Budweiser Brewery for the more down 'n dirty/"industrial" look the filmmakers were looking for, I consider it less "Product Placement" and more" Tit for Tat".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2009, 4:00:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2009, 6:07:05 AM PDT
In case you have forgotten, "Silent Running" and "2001 : A Space Odyssey" had product placements too. I still remember a prominent "Coca Cola" label on a storage container in "Silent Running".

The Budweiser brand - in retro bottles - could be around 300 years from now, possibly produced by different owners. The original Budweiser has been in production at various Czech breweries for around 300 years.

The Nokia placement was silly. But the running 300-year-old Corvette was far sillier. Even if the car could be operated, who would be dumb enough to wreck its historical value by modifying the interior or risk its financial value by operating it on public roads? (Aside to the new movie apologists: Yes, I know the punk Kirk stole the car. However, the car had to be operational for him to steal it in the first place.)

Posted on Aug 12, 2009, 4:40:10 PM PDT
I see no reason for Nokia not to be around, or the Nokia name being used when creating accessories for antiques, such as an in-vehicle communications system.

Kirk's Uncle, or whomever he was on the other end, was obviously an antiques kind of guy.

It was a minor, easily explained/overlooked detail to me, just as the "Budwiser Classic" placement was, since their appearance was very brief.

Posted on Aug 13, 2009, 1:31:44 AM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
So, did you complain about ST IV TVH when Kirk ordered a "Michelob" beer in the restaruant? Why single out the new movie for something that ST has done before?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009, 7:12:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2009, 7:12:59 PM PDT
Most of ST IV TVH occurs in the 20th century. Hence, that product placement was natural.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009, 7:14:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2009, 7:15:11 PM PDT
An "antiques guy" would be smart enough not to ruin an item's value by modernizing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009, 8:01:36 PM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
Budweiser survived two world wars, so why not a third? There will always be beer!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2009, 8:03:01 PM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
The product placements occur on planet Earth, hence the placement was natural.

Posted on Aug 20, 2009, 5:57:40 PM PDT
Theo Canius says:
Aaaah...get over it people! This ain't a perfect world. Watch the movie and be entertained. You must rise above product placement just like you do the people sitting behind you who talk throughout the movie.

Posted on Aug 26, 2009, 10:21:56 AM PDT
I had a thought about the viability of the Nokia screen.

According to the Book of the Film by Alan Dean Foster, the car originally belonged to George Kirk Sr., and when he died, was passed on to Winona and Kirk's unnamed uncle (the voice over the phone). Young Kirk aparrently stole the car because his uncle was going to sell it.

It is possible that George was a big antique collector, something Kirk would also find interest in, and his uncle may not have been, and got something "classic" to go into the car before selling it to increase it's value.

His uncle is obviously a rather tacky, tasteless a-hole type, and this plays into that.

Well that's one possible in-universe idea that would explain it, and it seems plausible enough.

Posted on Sep 16, 2009, 12:43:56 PM PDT
Maybe Nokia will be a corporate nemesis in the next movie, and it's revealed to be headed by... Harry Mudd!

: cue James Horner :

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009, 6:55:37 AM PDT
Becky Sparks says:
While I agree that the Nokia product placement was on the silly side, the inexplicable notion that Star Trek was set a few years after WWIII is far more ridiculous, as that war was supposed to have ended in 2053, and the film (like the original series) was set in the mid 23rd century. I believe you'll find that 200 years is plenty of time to rebuild.

Posted on Oct 25, 2009, 10:57:30 PM PDT
Michael says:
It's a movie, who seriously gives a s*** about the product placement? Product placements have been done for years in countless movies. Does it really bother you that much? Just watch the movie.

Posted on Oct 26, 2009, 5:29:46 PM PDT
J. E. ROMANO says:
I agree with Michael. Don't forget about the placements in ST V, Kirk wearing Levis and roasting "marsh melons" instead of marshmallows because marsh melons were a product of Kraft when the movie was made. Don't pick on ST XI for what has been going on in ST movies since the beginning.

Posted on Nov 10, 2009, 4:06:32 AM PST
zenzmurfy says:
I think the Nokia ringtone is a running gag with JJ Abrams stuff. It used to feature prominently during Alias. I assumed it was reference to his other work. But I did find it exceedingly annoying because it reminded me I was watching a movie. That and the use of a mysterious red ball McGuffin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009, 2:03:54 PM PST
pfred says:
amen

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009, 1:10:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2009, 1:12:23 PM PST
ButchD says:
Your right! And it's doesn't qualify for nit-picky. You have to have gimmicks that people relate to. Your talking about a movie that deals with space travel, aliens, warp drive, black holes and time travel and you want nokia
and bud to make sense? if people survive after ww3 why won't nokia and bud? Give me a break.

TROLL are U???

Posted on Nov 27, 2009, 11:56:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2009, 11:56:30 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2009, 12:01:38 AM PST
eidolon says:
as martin paternoster said, kirk's uncle does seem the "rather tacky, tasteless a-hole type." In the world of classic cars today, the same type of people modify beautiful, historically significant cars, often chopping up the body and changing that entirely, then going on to put new engines in that weren't made at the time that the car was, simply to give it more macho oomph. there are plenty of model T's that have heating/air conditioning and seat belts, and those surely weren't original. i have no trouble believing that the body of the car would be running with entirely new parts and interiors, as the image is what matters with that type of person, and the outside being original or close to it combined with all the modern comforts is pretty damn perfect as far as "a rather tacky, tasteless a-hole type" would be concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2009, 5:41:01 AM PST
Edward C. Moffett - good point and well said. I wonder when the rest of the "critics" are going to get it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Star Trek (Two-Disc Edition)
Star Trek (Two-Disc Edition) by Chris Pine (DVD - 2009)
4.7 out of 5 stars (5,084)